Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 64

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 4  (Read 84063 times)

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 4
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sindai:
<STRONG>Does this mean that you can't actually use shift operators to multiply/divide by powers of 2 depending on the architecture? That seems really weird</STRONG>

I don't think it applies to shift operators but rather the placement of bits in a chunk of memory. Like on one platform the specified bits might be in one location in the word but on another platform it could be in a totally different location.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
-snip-

Forget the .01% thing. During the rain, just spawn some 1/7 water squares randomly throughout the highest z-level, have them fall, and let the current flow code take care of it. That might have to wait until all the soil and rocks are defined as [PERMEABLE] and [UNPERMEABLE] though. Muddy permerable rock or soil can let water flow through (slowly) until it hits permeable rock or an aquifer.

I've got to be missing something. An extra 10 or so single flows flowing about at a time can't be that awful, can it?

Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2008, 02:44:00 am »

Hey Toady. You could use the same code you used for cave-ins back in the 2d version to determine if a hole should fill with water or not. Just check for depressions in the ground that are less than 7x7 or something and begin filling them with water. The code should only check that the depression has no inner holes or it's permeable. You could create a validation code that runs once every time that it starts raining. Whenever you find a sky-open depression less than 7x7 just mark all the floor tiles in the depression as rain-fillable. So you won't need to do extra calculations while it's raining. And you only need to remove or add rain-fillable tags whenever the terrain changes due to mining or constructions.

You could also get rid of the extra code that creates the current type of ponds with this. Which should simplify terrain generation a bit I guess. That way we wouldn't see weird ponds bordering cliffs.

As for the ground being soaking wet after rain. Wouldn't it be the same as when it's muddy, covered with snow, or soaking in blood? It would work fine just as an aesthetic tag. Don't need to add complex calculations to see where the less than 1/7 water goes.

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2008, 10:30:00 am »

Why is no one talking about the newest devlog?

quote:

<STRONG>Savage Ocean World: Another island map with good/evil turned off and high rainfall/savagery. The only civilized creatures left alive after 1000 years were three demons and a nine hundred year old elf born in a goblin tower. In order to stay alive, one of the demons had killed 3 hydras, 4 titans and various cyclopes and minotaurs. The elf was a guard and had killed a cyclops and two minotaurs. He had a wife, 6 daughters and 2 sons, but they were all killed by marauding beasts early on. The high savagery didn't impact play other than killing a few hunters -- the beast problem was caused by all of the caves crammed on the islands (it's possible to compensate for this by changing the cave parameters, but I didn't do that). Also, you can see a rain shadow very clearly on the right side of the upper island.
</STRONG>  

Custom environment parameters, optional world-gen timeline, maximum population, and some real metal history generation.  Seriously, check out that wasteland world.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2008, 10:37:00 am »

WHAAAAAAT???? CUSTOM WORLD GEN PARAMATERS???? ALREADY???? GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!!

*haves a heart attack*

Ahem. Seriously, this is awesome. Much thanks Toady.

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Nite/m4re ]

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

I'm going to create an all ocean world.  Then I'll create a mostly evil swamp/marshland world with lots of caves.  Then I'll create a world with ender goblins and watch as it becomes depopulated.
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2008, 11:19:00 am »

I wonder if we could get a quick list of the parameters.
Hmm...

High rainfall, high elevation, high variation should hopefully give plenty of settleable mountains.

Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

I'm gonna make the entire thing an evil desert, learn to mod and put in lots of desert creatures.  It's gonna rule.  This is also gonna help a lot with total conversion mods.
Shoes...

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

Wow. The latest devlog filled me with amazement. Especially the wasteland world... elves and goblins all dead, demon ruling alone in a tower at the centre of a vast desert... awesome in the literal sense of the word. The islands looked really nifty, then I remembered that there was no sea trade.

One day!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

One day we'll have boats! And all our dwarves will be boatmurdered!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

quote:
You can now set the year range at which you'd like your world generations to stop, as well as the maximum population...

I'm going to let the world run for five billion years, set the maximum population at 999 trillion, and see what comes about.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

Well done, Deon.

At the risk of restarting the boat topic that I assume took many pages of the old FotF, having never read it, do you think we'll build our own boats from scratch, like constructions, or do you think we'll just gather the lumber and such and uild it like a regular building?  Or do you think we'll do both?  I'm getting excited now.  Think of combat in a boat, with DF, it'd probably be more realistic than anything else available, blowing actual holes in the side, incredible fights on the ship deck, breaching below the waterline and having water start pouring into the ship, I'm gonna have a spaz attack if I keep thinking about it.

Shoes...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

Toady has mentioned that he wants players to be able to do something reminicent of this in terms of boat construction: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=000008

He has also mentioned that it is some time away because he wants to be able to take the time to do it right. Unless things have changed over the past couple of months, I think that's the official word.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »

The world generation parameters come as an extremely welcome surprise, Toady. Now I don't know if I'll ever even get to playing fortress mode, with all the new worlds I'm going to be generating.

By the by, have you ever considered letting players leave buckets or barrels outdoors specifically for rain collection? It doesn't really fit with the current methods and uses of water (i.e. dwarves fill buckets at wells in order to water the sick), but it may be easier than trying to determine how water flows from roofs to find a wet puddle to settle into (if the end goal is players finding alternate sources of water on hot/riverless maps). If the problem with water on roofs is that it "looks silly," creating gutters might work...

Derp.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

I know I'm bit too late but STL vector for c++ boolean type is very good to store flags (there are some optimizations).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 64