Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39c] Ramps (and stairs?) losing connectivity  (Read 714 times)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
[39c] Ramps (and stairs?) losing connectivity
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:39:39 pm »

I've been mixing in some ramps in my new fortress, they worked find and were easier to do.  One up ramp designation instead of 2.  It's autumn now, and at some point a lot of my underground ramps stopped working.  The miner who had dug down was stuck with no job.  I first noticed it because when I tried to set a door for a new bedroom, it was unavailable.  My broker who was stuck downstairs started spamming that he needed an office, which he could no longer get to.  The miners were able to dig a new stair up, and reconnect things, but sometimes it didnt work.  It seemed like the ramp above and below was impassable.

If it happens again I'll upload a save, I'm having too much fun to stop, zip file, and upload it ;p

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [39c] Ramps (and stairs?) losing connectivity
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:52:17 pm »

Are you remembering Ramp Direction?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:40:33 pm »

Do you have a solid wall next to the ramp?  I don't think they work if the ramp is surrounded entirely by open squares, even if the level above is nothing but floors with a hole directly above the ramp.  Essentially, it seems that the ramp needs something to rest against along its entire height, not just at the top.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:43:57 pm »

Do you have a solid wall next to the ramp?  I don't think they work if the ramp is surrounded entirely by open squares, even if the level above is nothing but floors with a hole directly above the ramp.  Essentially, it seems that the ramp needs something to rest against along its entire height, not just at the top.

I second this. Had to do some funky stuff with constructed walls when strip mining an area because of this issue.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 05:17:25 pm »

I had a ramp at the end of a hall, I can't recall if the top side of the ramp had walls around it or not.
Code: [Select]
 |==
 |^
 |==
Then i dug a stair up to the left of it, and still had problems:
Code: [Select]
|===
|<^
|===