Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Job removed from unpowered millstone"...  (Read 2059 times)

Della

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Job removed from unpowered millstone"...
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:27:07 am »

...it says. Despite the millstone being very clearly powered.
I've tried moving it around, building it someplace else, powering it either via water wheel or via windmill, but the end result is the same: all jobs are canceled about 10-20 seconds after I order them.

Is this a bug? Or what else?

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Job removed from unpowered millstone"...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:36:20 am »

I'd just build a quern and exhaust your runty little children. In all seriousness, from what I've seen the millstone doesn't appear to be bugged. Mine works okay. If it says it's unpowered, then you have a break somewhere along your line, or not enough power to handle its needs. Do you have multiple things being powered by your water wheel/windmill?

Gamli

• Bay Watcher
  • Will fight to the death over shiny black rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:10:26 pm »

It's a bug, I am having the same problem too.  I've tried re-orienting the water wheel, building a different millstone, I have no idea what's going on.  All machines show as "active" and using 92 out of 100 power.  Building an additional water wheel did nothing.  What gives?

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:37:30 am »

From what I've seen, if you build the thing that needs power before you build the thing that provides power, the game freaks out. What order did you build everything?

Gamli

• Bay Watcher
  • Will fight to the death over shiny black rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 01:53:06 am »

From what I've seen, if you build the thing that needs power before you build the thing that provides power, the game freaks out. What order did you build everything?

I think it's even wierder than that.  I had a kimberlite millstone already built and ready to be connected, then I built water wheels in a different river, and every few axles I would build another millstone to test it in-case some material in my power chain I was using was borked.  The only thing I did different was build a gear assembly in-between a set of 3 and set of 4 horizontal axles instead of using one big long set of 7 axles.  The millstone then worked fine, and I built three more adjacent to it and they worked too.

At first I was sad my kimberlite millstone wasn't working and thought Toady should change the error message to read: "Jobs removed because your millstone is TOO PRETTY!"  The irony of my karma: nothing pretty ever makes me happy, and you can't escape to Dwarf Fortress to cope either, lol.

bungler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:25:36 pm »

I know this post is old, however i was having this issue too, but it would only be unpowered long enough to cancel all the jobs, then be powered again on the next turn. Not sure what caused it, but it seems not to matter because even with no jobs queued, the dwarfs are using the millstones!