Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Brainstorming for quest ideas.  (Read 1219 times)

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming for quest ideas.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 12:42:24 pm »

Yeah, no, seriously...  The '!' thing was sarcasm.

I kind of like that the small town mayor/whatever knows what the people in his town need or want.  Would you go to every person in a town asking them what they want?  ('Fetch me a spoon')  Or would you just go to the boss and say 'hey, what are the big problems in your town?' and let the mayer filter the crap for you.  (Possibly by level.. he knows about how strong you are and how tough the various critters are...)

Sarcasm doesn't really work on the internet. Well, maybe with italics. Or if you're dripping wet with sarcasm. Or both.

Something like "Ooooh, that is such a good and origional idea, what would make it even better would be" or something like that.

Anyways, doing favors for the lower classes could help the adventurer not ready to tackle semimegabeast or killer marksmen, which might explain why you'd want to help other people, but having the mayor gauge the quests would be nice too, but still a little iffy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 12:57:28 pm »

Or when you see a suggestion for rose colored glasses to be mandatory.

(They don't show you in the movie, but the Emerald City was actually constructed of white marble, everyone just had to wear green glasses to make it look green)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:03 am »

-"Just go here" is kinda the staple of boring quests... and "Go talk to him" is also refered to as such

I think stuff like "bring this important letter to the mayor of Town X" or "Bring this message to the elven king and then return with his response" could be interesting. Especially if the town in question was under siege and enemy spies tried to ambush you on the way, or the elves turned hostile after the message was delivered. :)

While I wouldn't mind people in the game noticing you are "Frank the man who collected 100 goblin heads" I think it would be rather crazy for someone to give you a quest as such.

On the other hand, something along the lines of "I'll give you a gold piece for every goblin head you bring me!" would make sense as a way to compensate mercenaries, especially during a time of war. Which should be most of the time, to make the world interesting. :)

A quest bulliten board may help, or just have questgivers hang out in the tavern, but have some way to help players reach their goal of finding a quest as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Asking someone if they have a quest should IMO usually return something like "I don't need anything done, but I heard Besmar Uristsson was looking for help with something. Her home is a little bit to the north-west of here."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:58:47 am by MMad »
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.
Pages: 1 [2]