Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Portals  (Read 1336 times)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
Portals
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:59:01 pm »

This has probably already been mentioned, but with all the new world gen features it would be pretty badass if adventurers were able to somehow travel to different worlds.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Portals
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:03:12 pm »

I believe I even suggested this before myself. Yes, this idea has been through the suggestions forum before. Would be neat. Not high on the priority list. Though, I think mine had to do with sending trade caravans or armies to other player's forts.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:13:38 pm »

Yeah that's not really the idea here - more of a planeswalking type thing. I know of several people who are playing on hellish worlds of fire and such.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:52 pm »

Not only has it been mentioned before, but it's even in the devlogs:
WORLD GENERATION PARAMETERS: ... If there are concepts like planes or dimensions implemented, you'd have control over that as well...

PLANES: Once it's all established, you can make regions arbitrarily strange, and you make a lot of them. The real chore here is allowing multiple world maps to be active in one way or another and to allow game elements to move between them. It would be a headache to program, but it would add a lot to the game. Related to PowerGoal81.

MAGIC

* teleportation spells
    * magical effects in general can be worked by mysterious complicated machinery
    * after-life notions
    * flying sites, can be handled like boats somewhat
    * summoning other-worldly beings
    * non-corporeal beings, wall-walking etc.
    * there can be deities that govern certain focuses
    * planes have different rules for healing etc. and these rules depend on the status of the creature -- ie, there can be different rules for visitors or for natives depending on their status etc, planar hierarchies etc.
    * planes can often have uniform characteristics based around their focus, there can also be subplanes that symbolize certain subsections of the focus of the main plane
    * planar travel, rules and restrictions governing the travel and behavior of planar natives, and extra rules for those that have entered another plane etc., some of these rules simply can't be broken by their nature, others can be broken but they are enforced by whatever powers govern the planes

I find the best thing to do before posting a suggestion is going to the consolidated dev page (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html) and doing a Ctrl-F to search for your idea.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:09:29 pm by wallish »

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:17:37 pm »

Well, I was going to make a wall-o-text about how complex and technical resource taxing such a thing would be, but Wallish beat me to the punch. And that reminded me to always check the dev_goals before posting in Suggestions. So, uh, just follow his suggestion instead, 'k. :)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:18:14 pm »

I think if planes get in, each plane should be a pocket-sized world, no matter what. Unless it's the Plane of Lag.

Would also be cool to have plane specific civs/creatures. Imagine a fire imp civ on the plane of fire warring and merpeople civs on the plane of oceans, etc. This is based on the idea that the planes would have to coincide with spheres.

Would also be cool if the Gods actually lived on the different planes, and you could visit/kill them. Killing them could give you god status.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:20:01 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:00:59 am »

This is DF. It would probably be more appropriate for the planes to be randomly generated from a few spheres.

"Museknives," a plane of beauty, fertility, and nightmares.

"Bathtubsockets," a plain of oceans, lightning, and silence.

"Doomtreads," a plain of torture, misery, and rainbows. Yes, rainbows. Because the demons of torture REFUSE YOUR CLOSEMINDED VIEWS ON HOW THEY ARE SOMEHOW NOT DEADLY ENOUGH. >:[
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:43:42 am »

Not only has it been mentioned before, but it's even in the devlogs:

I find the best thing to do before posting a suggestion is going to the consolidated dev page (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html) and doing a Ctrl-F to search for your idea.

Ah foolish me. I searched the suggestions forum but not the dev page. The lag concerns are surprising, I'm not sure how the ability to transfer characters between player-created worlds* would affect the speed of the game.

*What I am suggesting is not precisely the same as the dev note
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:49:58 am by Red Jackard »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:49 am »

I meant lag on world generation since planes would have to be generated at the same time as the world, being connected and all.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 02:31:11 pm »

Just make it so that you can travel between previously generated worlds.  If they are the same size, then you appear at the same position in the world when you arrive on the other map.  This would make teleporting rare and dangerous, as you could use a portal to a spot 10 tiles above the ground, underground, or in the middle of an ocean.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 08:09:44 pm »

Just make it so that you can travel between previously generated worlds.  If they are the same size, then you appear at the same position in the world when you arrive on the other map.  This would make teleporting rare and dangerous, as you could use a portal to a spot 10 tiles above the ground, underground, or in the middle of an ocean.

No likey. Whats the point of warping to other mundane worlds? Going to strange dimensions is way more interesting. Image a world where theres blood instead of water, with frozen blood glaciers or one where there are entire mountains of ice, or one where the ground is made out of pure gold metal. Imagine one where a single huge tree IS the map and you can mine wood, or one where the ground is made of flesh and mountains are made of ivory.

Now imagine killing all the mega, semimega and various people on your map and getting godlike stats. And then going to another world where doing so again would be a piece of cake.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 10:47:22 pm »

I'd like to see portals implemented so you could go from one spot in the fort to another, of course this would need to wait until magic was finished. Imagine the time saved inn hauling!
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 02:26:54 am »

And a magic hole to dump refuse in too.  ;)

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 07:26:42 am »

I meant lag on world generation since planes would have to be generated at the same time as the world, being connected and all.

dude are you even paying attention? been said repeatedly that this suggestion is for traveling between player-created worlds

People have been making island worlds, savage jungle worlds, glacier worlds, worlds filled with volcanoes, hell worlds where everything is burning - they are in no way "mundane"

hell, it'd be funny to implement just for the possibility of time travel
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:49:12 am by Red Jackard »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 10:19:17 am »

dude are you even paying attention? been said repeatedly that this suggestion is for traveling between player-created worlds

People have been making island worlds, savage jungle worlds, glacier worlds, worlds filled with volcanoes, hell worlds where everything is burning - they are in no way "mundane"

hell, it'd be funny to implement just for the possibility of time travel

I know it's been repeatedly stated that you want between world travel. I said in one of my posts that i think that would be a bad idea. It would probably kill Legends mode. So i was simply working from that.

Pages: [1] 2