Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven hygiene and medicine  (Read 2649 times)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Dwarven hygiene and medicine
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:45:46 pm »

BUILDING: Bath

Needed:
  • buckets
  • possibly pipe sections
Using up:
  • water
  • soap
  • possibly coal or wood

The point is to make Soap Makers useful and let the dwarves to get rid of filth from their skins. And make them relax too. It would, basically, work like a shop: when the economy kicks in, a dwarf can own one and make some cash. He supplies his building with water (free) and soap (bought), which allow the bath to wash a fixed amount of dwarves. With pipe sections, some wood or coal and a skilled engineer, it's possible to create more luxurious facility, where dwarves can also socialize and increase their happiness.

Being filthy should give a negative thought. Nobles could gain another, more severe negative thought when conducting a meeting when filthy.

PROFFESSION: Medic

I know that there is no person in this forum who didn't suggest his own version of this occupation. Therefore I won't describe again what the medic should do. I think, however, he should use Alchemist's Lab, which is currently used to somewhat unimpressive works. This is a great place to make use of those strange extracts which Threshers, Animal Dissectors and Fish Dissectors produce. Cave spider venom could make a great anaesthetic, for example.

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven hygiene and medicine
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:37:22 pm »

Dwarves? Bathing?

That sounds like a damn hippy elfish thing to do.  ;)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:05:02 pm »

Ironblood doesn't approve.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:11:05 pm »

Medics shouldn't do alchemy. As for what they could do:
* Prioritize hauling and caring for wounded. Reduce risk of further injury when moving injured.
* Detect internal injuries, identify poisons, and identify diseases. Otherwise, you would just see symptoms (stunned, nauseous, chills, lesions, headache, cough, etc) without knowing why or what to do. More useful when disease and antivenin goes in, as there isn't much to do about organ damage.
* Apply cloth or leather bandages to maximize healing rate.
* Splint broken limbs to prevent permanent crippling.
* Apply healing potions, anaesthetic, and antivenin with less risk of under/overdose or side effects.
* Remove arrows with less risk of additional damage or internal injury.
* Reattach severed body parts (Igors only).

Due to the potential for untrained idiots actually making patients worse, assigned hospital rooms could be given a min/max skill level and allowed users like workshops.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:56:45 am »

I like the medic concepts... hospitals have been suggested before, but these are worthy additions. I personally think the "hospital"  should be a workshop like any other (with skill settings, access lists, and auto-queuing like a butcher....and generate dwarf chunks on occasion). The wounded are dragged to the hospital ala hunters taking a kill to the butcher. Then the docdwarf does its job and carries them to a barracks.

The transport jobs and feeding/watering jobs could be shop independent (thus the skill limits on the shop would not apply) so low skill dwarves could handle those, while the legendary health care giver would get all the messy jobs at the shop.

Barracks Digression:(nothing overly original, here for completeness of thought)
Barracks need to have three settings:

• Inn: Only used by civilian dwarves that do not have a room. When the economy starts, this starts charging a small fee.
  • Military: Only used by soldiers. Advanced settings could designate Fortress Guard Only/Royal Guard Only/Specific Unit Only
  • Ward : Used only for the wounded

Lastly, on hygiene, I am in complete agreement: It annoys me that when looking over Urist's snazzy gear I have made for him (the exceptional steel plate and spider silk clothing), that it is clear he has mud and vomit on all ten fingers.

I suggested it in this threadhttp://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6224.0 which I'll link to instead of repeating myself.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:03:44 pm »

I've always wondered why there aren't baths too. Also, toilets - for a game as concerned with nitty-gritty everyday realism as DF, you'd think building a plumbing system to dispose of poo (or at least designating a hole in the ground) would be included.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:18:11 pm »

I've always wondered why there aren't baths too. Also, toilets - for a game as concerned with nitty-gritty everyday realism as DF, you'd think building a plumbing system to dispose of poo (or at least designating a hole in the ground) would be included.

Toady has already said that the game will not be this nitty-gritty and realistic.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:00:45 pm »

Baths, yes. Toilets, no.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:12:10 pm »

Toady has already said that the game will not be this nitty-gritty and realistic.

Smashing a child in the torso with his mother's severed leg and having it collapse into a lump of gore, or having a large group of impatient cave-adapted dwarven corpse looters create massive rivers of vomit outside your fortress, that's -- if not tasteful, avant-garde at least.

I think we all know the real reason poo is not going into DF -- the carp bribed Toady to keep it out because otherwise (until throwing damage is toned down) rhesus macaques will take their throne as the most lethal animals in the game.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:12:25 pm »

Hygeine?  Lad, I take a bath once a year whether I need it or na.  Why, just last autumn I was chopping down a tree, and the damned sky started pourin rain all over me!  If ye want yer dwarves to take showers so bad, put a waterfall in yer dinin room so the mist washes em clean, tha's wha our mayor does!

Now as for your medic suggestion, I approve.  Maybe some of our herbalists could use the alchemy or farmers' workshops ta trea wounds and make em heal faster.  I'd like ta think tha once ye get ta Legendary Alchemy skill, maybe ye could even brew somethin tha would let em heal spinal injuries.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 10:22:36 am »

Hygeine?  Lad, I take a bath once a year whether I need it or na.  Why, just last autumn I was chopping down a tree, and the damned sky started pourin rain all over me!  If ye want yer dwarves to take showers so bad, put a waterfall in yer dinin room so the mist washes em clean, tha's wha our mayor does!
While it may be true for a regular dwarf, the nobles may think otherwise... You know, the same people who jump off the cliff because they can't have a golden chest in their bedroom.

C'mon, think about those poor soap makers who can't support their familes or are forced to do simple, menial tasks despite their superior education... Then they're evicted from their rooms and forced to sleep in one bed with severely wounded dwarves, whom festering wounds keep staining the flea infested mattress. And finally they're are drafted and crippled for the rest of their short, miserable lives by a goblin or - even worse - the champion who happened to bring his * steel spear * into a sparring.

Moreover - dwarven prisons seem somewhat incomplete without soap...

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 11:22:40 am »

It is amazing how many colorful RP objections implementing baths gets in every thread....including the obligatory comparisons to elves...odd.

Really - Toady put in a soapmaker profession for a reason, and I seriously doubt it was to keep the animal caretakers and the animal/fish dissectors company in the militia trap development and testing corp.

Secondly...100 dwarves x (10 Fingers + 2 Ears + 1 Nose + Misc other protrusions) x (1 Goo + 1 Mud + 1 Vomit + 1 Own blood + 1 Goblin Blood etc) = a MASSIVE amount of data being maintained with no practical use other than to make the "equipment" screen really, really long. That has to have some impact on FPS.

(edited for grammar atleast once)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:10:25 am by Othob Rithol »

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 11:30:51 pm »

Expanding on the medic side of this, there could be medicinal plants. 

Opium comes to mind.  Let the farmers make raw opium and then the alchemist can make laudanum or extract morphine or something (use dwarven rum in a reaction, etc).  Dwarves in pain could use a capsule of it and let the pain go away... for a while.  When they use a lot of opium because they're stuck hauling junk from one end of the world to the other and the wounds just cannot heal, we get the line:  "Urist McJunkie needs [opium|laudanum|horse] to get through the working day."

Urist McJunkie cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Getting fix.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 04:04:04 pm »

I think that baths may be really only for use by Nobles, not commonfolk. I think of nobles as these really snotty people who want things their way now, or someone is going to pay. I think of commoners as a pretty typical type, they'd want a bath if they really need one.

And Jeeze people, stop categorizing dwarves as some 2-D style"I like dirt, the inside is the best place to be, elves suck, Blah, blah, blah" They're just as diverse as humans.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 05:52:49 pm »

Smashing a child in the torso with his mother's severed leg and having it collapse into a lump of gore, or having a large group of impatient cave-adapted dwarven corpse looters create massive rivers of vomit outside your fortress, that's -- if not tasteful, avant-garde at least.

I think we all know the real reason poo is not going into DF -- the carp bribed Toady to keep it out because otherwise (until throwing damage is toned down) rhesus macaques will take their throne as the most lethal animals in the game.

The spinning *monkey poop* strikes Urist Lokumdastot in the head!
It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mess!
Your settlement has crumbled to it's end.
*ten years later, an adventurer has the misfortune of visiting that particular fort, which is now owned by the macaques*
The spinning *monkey poop* strikes You in the body!
Your right lung has been pierced!
Your left lung has been pierced!
Your heart has been pierced!
Your liver has been pierced!
Your spleen has been pierced!
Your pancreas has been pierced!
You have bled to death.
The Rhesus macaque picks up the Iron Shield.
The Rhesus macaque beats Urist Adventurer's corpse over the head with it.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!
Pages: [1] 2