Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: painting worlds.  (Read 509 times)

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
painting worlds.
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:00:09 pm »

wel i can see i can draw stuff.. more or less but how the hell is it supposed to all work??
(sorry for asking, overlooked the previous topic somhow...)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:42:28 pm by tp12 »
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: painting worlds.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:55:46 pm »

It's all done with the mouse. There's no explanation whatsoever, so it took us a while to figure it out. A few tips/instructions:

- THE WINDOW: Left-clicking paints the parameters you've chosen to paint at the right (more on those further down). Right-clicking and dragging scrolls the window.

-BRUSH RADIUS: click and type in a number to control the brush size. Setting it to a really high number will put it at maximum, which will cover the entire map in one click.

-NORMAL BRUSH: Click to change between normal and "smooth-edge" brushes. Smooth brushes cause a gradual change in the parameters from the center of the brush to the edges. (I included an example in the above screenshot of what it does. At the center of where I used the smooth brush, there's a lot of rain and drainage (numbers not shown here), so it made trees in the middle. Towards the edges of the brush, the rain and drainage dropped, so the biomes changed to marshes, to savannas, to grasslands, and finally to an arid desert outside of the radius of the bush. If you're painting on something that's less different than your current brush, the change won't be as extreme.)

THE PARAMETERS:

-Elevation, rain, drainage, and temperature affect the biome. Click here for more information on how to create specific biomes.

-SAV (short for savagery) affects the savageness of areas. Low savagery = "Benign" surroundings (serene, calm, sinister), with no predators. Middling savagery = "predatory" surroundings (mirthful, wilderness, haunted), with a maximum of one group of predators at a time in dwarf mode. High savagery = "Savage" surroundings (joyous wilds, untamed wilds, terrifying), with a maximum of two groups of predators at a time, and some dangerous enemies that can only be found in savage area, like giant lions and such.

-VOLC (short for volcanism) affects the volcanic activity of a square. At it's highest level, you'll almost certainly find a magma feature in that square. Set the entire map to max volcanism if you don't want to look very hard for magma.

-VIEW: click to see the amount of that particular parameter each square of the window has. Small grey dots on black indicate the lowest possible, white diamonds on grey indicate the highest possible, I think. Press enter to switch back to viewing biomes.

-BRUSH: click and enter a number. When you paint that parameter, it will set the squares you paint to that amount of that parameter.

-PAINTING/NOT PAINTING: click to switch between the two. When you paint on the window, only the parameters with PAINTING on will be painted.

-WILL BE SAVED/RANDOMIZE AT GEN: Determines whether world gen will use that value or randomize it for you.

That's pretty much it, but there's something EXTREMELY IMPORTANT YOU HAVE TO DO if you want to paint your own maps. In the advanced parameters, set EVERY minimum to the lowest possible value (press [n] to do this easily) and EVERY maximum to the highest possible value (don't forget you can use [enter] to type in a number). Otherwise you'll get infinite rejects.

If you get lots of rejects dealing with entities and civs (there's an option in the data/init/init.txt file to log reasons for map rejects), you probably didn't make enough biomes. Turn down the number of civilizations a bit in the advanced parameters.

EDIT: took me so damn long to finish typing that I didn't notice you changed your mind. I'm keeping this here anyway.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:02:30 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.