Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Killcam  (Read 943 times)

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Killcam
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:34:43 am »

I was playing earlier today on 39b, and I had designated a room to be mined out, then toggled to a different z-level to foodle with some stockpiles. A few seconds later, I get the message "Urist McUrist has drowned," and to my horror I figure he's drowned in the aquifer-pumping room I had hastily constructed. But no, somehow, and I have no idea how, after much thorough search it would appear that my good dwarf Urist had somehow managed to fall into the center of a pond way far away in the middle of nowhere.

What I would like to see is a kind of "killcam," which freezes the game, centers it on the dead dwarf and gives you the option to play back a certain amount of frames so that you can see what that dwarf's last minutes were like. I figure it should be just the option to play back a few frames, since in the events of sieges where you might have several dwarves die, it would be quite a nuisance, but in the event of miners who randomly end their lives way off from any dig site in a pond not designated for use, I would kind of like to know what happened.

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Killcam
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:45 am »

I like the suggestion, are you sure there are no carp in the pond?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:01:24 am »

I like this suggestion too.  The "replay" option might have some issues though, like... in order to step back those past few frames, the game would have to be recording the last... what would be a good number?  Like the past 30 frames, and it could lead to some annoyance issues in battle when your squad of ten Hammerdwarves get turned to swiss cheese by some marksgoblins, but, it could be a fun addition.

My own addition: Replay the previous frames in grainy black-and-white, and make it skip around a little.  I'd watch those all day. 

What?  So I want dwarven snuff films.  Lay off!

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:11:30 am »

I like the suggestion, are you sure there are no carp in the pond?

There were no carp in the pond. I think the biggest menace to my miner was his own reflection in the pond, which I half suspected he tackled out of spite. Maybe he got knocked in by something wandering around in the Terrifying biome, since there were herds of skeletal deer and foxes wandering around, but I really don't know - and hence the reason for my suggestion.

I like this suggestion too.  The "replay" option might have some issues though, like... in order to step back those past few frames, the game would have to be recording the last... what would be a good number?  Like the past 30 frames, and it could lead to some annoyance issues in battle when your squad of ten Hammerdwarves get turned to swiss cheese by some marksgoblins, but, it could be a fun addition.

I'd thought of the fact that it would have to buffer a certain amount of frames, which would probably result in a drain on system memory... but I've got a gig and a 1/2 of RAM, soon to be upgraded to 4GB, and I figure that there could be a toggable init option of whether or not to keep memory of a few frames for the killcam so that people with more system resources can afford this nifty feature. I figure it won't be too annoying if you're not forced to watch the frames everytime, only given the option to if you so desire, and I'd consider it much less annoying to be spammed with dwarf dying messages and having the camera snapped to the location than being spammed with "You've found olivine (again)" and "Warning: damp stone" messages.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:13:28 am by Pyro93735 »

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:18:29 am »

We should also get the ability to see their last thoughts as well. :)
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:18:46 pm »

You can, just go to the units list, view the dead dwarf, and view their thoughts/preferences.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered