Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about ramps  (Read 651 times)

rmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about ramps
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:47:28 am »

So I started this game... quite funny. I'm not in the time where the first traders will arrive. For security concerns, I have built my trade depot one level below ground. I found out that caravans can't use the stairs, so I decided to use ramps. Ok... so I need 3 in a row so the caravan can get to the depot. But when I build them, I find out that the area above is still inaccessable for Wagons. Apparently there needs to be one "Open Space" on the level up, but its normal terrain (grass, trees etc.) and it doesn't show those downwards arrows there would normally be if the ramp would work properly. So, how can I make my depot available to the Wagons with those ramps?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Question about ramps
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:56:44 am »

This does not work:
Code: [Select]
^
.^
..^

This does work:
^___
....^___
........^

Leave a 3x3 flat area between each set of ramps and the caravan will be quite happy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:52:15 am by Skanky »
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

rmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:19:35 am »

This does not work:
^___
.^___
..^___

This does work:
^
....^
........^

Leave a 3x3 flat area between each set of ramps and the caravan will be quite happy.

I guess ^ stands for the ramp, but what does ... and _ stand for? ... < digged land? And what about the tiles between the ramps which arent dug out? Should they be a wall or doesn't matter?

And why did you say "set of ramps" when there's only one in each line in your code? I always thought I have to build those ramps in a horizontal line and not diagonally.
I now dug out lots of free space in the room with the depot. I have build a ramp, then as you said 2 tiles down and 4 tiles right another one and again another one, same way. Apparently doesn't seem to work.

Apart from this, shouldn't I see "something" one level up? I mean, my dwarfes have acces there through stairs, so it shouldn't be a problem for them to make that ramp work...

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:10:46 am »

Sorry, I did that 5 minutes before leaving work and kinda stuffed up the diagram somewhat. It has been edited now.

The diagrams are the side view of the sets of ramps.
^ = ramps up
. = walls
_ = floor
v = ramp down (in diagram below)

From a top-down view, the middle level should look like:
^...v
^...v
^...v

I have used this before in previous versions and can confirm that it worked. I'll have to test to make sure this works in the current version.

rmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 04:28:50 am »

OK figured it out. Those ramps are damn confusing. I constructed them all the time, that's why it didnt work with the level above :) SHould've used a channel to connect it to above or dug a ramp.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:03:46 am by rmin »

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 04:37:38 pm »

Yes, that would explain why the caravan didn't like those ramps!