Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question for Toady about spheres  (Read 3395 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Toady about spheres
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 10:14:50 pm »

Thought so. The temples are a neat touch though -- I once made an adventurer just to visit all the temples and see what causes what. Little touches like that are what set this game apart from the other ridiculously complex RTS-Roguelike hybrids.

There are others?

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 03:35:31 pm »

I don't remember changing much if anything, though there might have been something.  What is it about the raws that made you think the list was obsolete?
It's not in the raws, it's in the string dump; this is the list under sphere tokens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see, there are a few in there that aren't in the other lists, like strength, rulership and courage.
I suppose this could just mean that they don't have any relations (which would fit with the tests that I've been running); but if so, then some relationships should be added (strength and courage with war and valor, etc.)  :-\

(PS: You misspelled volcanoes)

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 03:45:09 pm »

Thought so. The temples are a neat touch though -- I once made an adventurer just to visit all the temples and see what causes what. Little touches like that are what set this game apart from the other ridiculously complex RTS-Roguelike hybrids.
"RTS-Roguelike hybrids."
I think you're missing a few other genre.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 03:47:22 pm »

(PS: You misspelled volcanoes)

Main Entry: vol·ca·no
Pronunciation: \väl-ˈkā-(ˌ)nō, vȯl-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural vol·ca·noes or vol·ca·nos

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 06:42:59 pm »

Main Entry: vol·ca·no
Pronunciation: \väl-ˈkā-(ˌ)nō, vȯl-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural vol·ca·noes or vol·ca·nos
Oh, really? I always thought it was volcanoes, and so does the spellcheck on my browser.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 07:05:40 pm »

Wait, I'm a little confused. I get how the precludes work, but what about parent/child relationships? Do I understand correctly that a deity/civilization with a child sphere can not have the related parent sphere, and visa versa(a parent can not have any child spheres)? So the God of Lightning could not be the god of Nature can not also be the god of Trees?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 07:49:59 pm »

Wait, I'm a little confused. I get how the precludes work, but what about parent/child relationships? Do I understand correctly that a deity/civilization with a child sphere can not have the related parent sphere, and visa versa(a parent can not have any child spheres)?

That part is correct...

So the God of Lightning could not be the god of Nature

...but I'm not sure how you got this part.  Lightning isn't a parent or child of nature, or precluded by it, so a deity can have both.  Nature is a parent of trees, though, so those are mutually exclusive.  I believe the purpose of excluding parents/children is to prevent deities from having "redundant" spheres.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 08:39:44 pm »

Yeah, some of the spheres have no relations, mostly because I did it all at once and probably just got burned out.  I don't know if there's a suggestion thread for this yet, but I'm open to suggestions on these lists.

And yeah, VOLCANOS[sic] on http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Sphere has been my enemy since the dawn of time.  Dictionaries don't mind volcanos, but volcanoes is more popular on google and spellcheckers.  I don't know the etymology, but it isn't as clear-cut a case as potatoes, say, and I certainly grew up without the e.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 08:54:53 pm »

Well the spheres arn't even done in all likelyness.

Some spheres have yet to be added (Cold/winter/ice/snow as a simple example)

Spheres need to be associated with objects (Abacus to wealth) for god relationships.

So there is plenty of time to really go back to them.

Though I don't want to be Toady when he has to put the spheres in Proper.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:08:00 pm by Neonivek »

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »

Right there; but I think that maybe I might write up a possible new relationships file that Toady could paste in if he likes when he's got the time.  But not right now: it's just not that important! :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:22 pm »

Eh, write up a suggestions thread for it (or add to one if there is one already). Toady can then add it to his list of bookmarks or whatever and when Spheres get on the list of things to do he'll know where to look.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2]