Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My own world gen issues  (Read 784 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My own world gen issues
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:22:38 pm »

I'm trying to create a hell-on-earth scenario, but I find I can't even touch the savage meter without going into infinite rejects so my question is that..

If I set the minimum savage at 40%, what does this mean... Does that include squares that wouldn't be savage anyway, such as deep in mountains and out in the ocean?  Does the savage level just get generated over some median with a normal curve, and this setting just chucks out the 99.9% of maps that roll a lower number, or does it make the map try to be more savage to begin with so as not to waste maps as rejects?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: My own world gen issues
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:30:31 pm »

First, there are two "sets" of savagery parameters: the minimum/maximum savagery, and the minimum mid/high/low savagery.

The minimum mid/high/low savagery parameters are the ones that tell the world when to reject it when there's a "wrong" amount of savagery (Yes, this includes ALL squares).

The minimum/maximum savagery parameters are the ones that tell the world how much to start with, I think (Yes, this includes ALL squares).

I think you want to set the minimum/maximum as high as possible, and the minimum mid/high/low to 0 (you can do this easily with the [n] key).

I'm about to try this myself with no other changes to the parameters. I'll let you know if it works.

UPDATE: I'm getting lots of rejects, but none of them have to do with savagery. Huh.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:33:56 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.