Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39b] Aquifer devours dwarf?  (Read 831 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
[39b] Aquifer devours dwarf?
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:11:45 pm »

Started a fortress on an aquifer, started up a pumping operation to clear a room large enough for walling off the sides of the aquifer. Idiot miner decides to take a nap while he's digging a hole in the drained aquifer. Pumpers get exausted and go find something else to do, aquifer starts to fill up. Napping miner drowns quickly.

Now here's the oddity: I cannot find his corpse. Although the stock screen stubbornly insists that the corpse exists, and even provides me with a button to zoom to its location, the corpse is obviously not there. Nor is it an any other part of that section of the aquifer. Neither is any of his clothing, although his pick is still there for some reason.

Seems like we have a new king of predators: In the days of old, there were the demonic pachyderms; more recently, the ungodly carp; the other day, the elves suddenly turned to wicked savages; now the damned aquifers are hunting and eating my dwarfs.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
Re: [39b] Aquifer devours dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 06:54:33 pm »

This may be related to the incident where the corpse dissapeared on contact with magma/fire.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:07:56 pm »

I think this is probably just another case of water flows making items "disappear" (even to the 'k' look mode), but they're still there.

An easy way to set this up to make it occur is to channel a tunnel outwards from a brook (block it off with floodgates), put some holes in the floor at the far end and put grates over them to drain the water without the items falling down, then release the brook into the tunnel. As the water pushes the items, they'll sometimes disappear (they tend to reappear if they bump into something). Once one of the items has disappeared, you can open the stocks screen, find it listed, and zoom to it, though you don't see it. Now set up a stockpile to collect that item, a dwarf will run to where the item is (as per the zoom from the stocks screen), and the item will magically reappear as the dwarf picks it up.

I might set up a save to demonstrate this and upload it to the DFFD.

[Edit: Found a link to an earlier report of what I'm talking about: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8427.0]

tl;dr:
Suck out the water and set up a graveyard/coffin; once they're able to get down there again, the dorfs should pick up the corpse and it will magically reappear.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:15:11 pm by Nesoo »
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:16:55 pm »

Just tried that. Didn't work, corpse still gone. Also, I've encountered several serious design flaws in my pumping, and I figure it'll be easier to start a new fort somewhere else than to fix my current pumping.

I'll keep the save, though.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:07:40 am »

Why didn't you just set up the aquifer to supply all the power you could ever need?

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-120-aquifercmv

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:03:09 pm »

Because I didn't bring any stone with, so I couldn't make any mechanisms for gear assemblies.

That wasn't the problem I mentioned, but it did make the problem worse.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:34:51 am »

Ahhh...yes, that would be a problem.