Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is this utility helpful?

Yes
No
Can't figure out how to use it

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New utility: ParseDFLogs  (Read 6967 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: New utility: ParseDFLogs
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 06:32:23 pm »

Turns out it was because the ParseDFLogs.pl file wasn't in the right location, as you said.

Also, I'm using the IDE, but I've run into some very annoying problems that have nothing to do with the IDE or your script, but are related enough to prevent me from using the script, and it's going to take a while to fix it. *flips the bird at Windows Vista*

Anyway, I've narrowed down the size of the files I need to mov... wait, now it's saying it'll take over a day to fini... wait, it finished.

Huh. Okay, got it to work.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:49:16 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 06:41:28 pm »

I'd offer to help, but I have 0 experience in anything Vista related. But someone else may be able to help you if you list out your problems.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 08:19:26 pm »

Nifty.

I can provide a compiled executable version of it if people are interested and it's OK with Mephansteras. It would work the same way except that it wouldn't need Perl to be installed.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:54:27 pm »

I have interest in Janus's version to be made, as long as Mephansteras is okay with it. =D
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 09:44:21 am »

Go ahead. I'm curious how you make an executable out of perl, though. Never done that before. Might be useful for me to know, so I can start doing that with future versions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 08:38:57 pm »

Go ahead. I'm curious how you make an executable out of perl, though. Never done that before. Might be useful for me to know, so I can start doing that with future versions.
OK, the executable version is posted here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=311
It includes a batch file to simplify running it a bit, but is otherwise unchanged.

For creating executables from perl apps, I use the ActiveState Perl Dev Kit. It's quite expensive though. There are cheaper methods available, and even a free one or two I think. Hang on...
Here's a free method I just found which looks like it should work:
http://www.expertsrt.com/tutorials/Matt/perlPAR.html
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 02:57:02 pm »

Cool. I'll have to play around with that.
Come play Mafia with us!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 09:29:18 pm »

You could just do a quick temporary fix of telling it to condense duplicates differentiating by a 's' at the end.
All the special plurals aren't that large, comparatively. The only ones in the default (as well as the one you are using) are:
*f -> *ves
*man -> *men
The man/men only appeared in your example as either solitary figures or in groups, but not both for a single species. The f/ves only had two cases: [Type] Dwarves and [Type] Elves.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 10:22:34 am »

Hmmm. Good point. I'll see about putting that fix in later this week. As well as getting the free compiled perl stuff to work.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

Ok. I've got version 1.3 up now, with the change to let it merge in single entities into the proper plural grouping.

It seems to work ok, but you might still get goofy results with custom creatures.

Haven't gotten the compiler for perl working yet, so this is just the raw perl version. Janus, you're welcome to make it an exe.
Come play Mafia with us!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 07:39:21 pm »

OK then, I went ahead and updated the executable version for it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 10:27:53 pm »

Will it be updated further? It's a very useful utility to get what's happened in that wordgen boiling pot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 10:51:51 pm »

Well, I guess as Toady outputs more stuff to the logs I'll keep updating it. Right now I'm not sure of anything it's lacking.

But if you have a request, I can look into expanding the functionality.
Come play Mafia with us!

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 07:29:22 am »

Hi,

I love this utility, thank you very much for making it.  However I was wondering if I may request, if possible, that a version be made that can also parse region2, region3... etc into their own seperate files as well.  It would be a help for those of use who like to gen world after world to get the perfect one.

Cheers.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2008, 11:10:28 am »

Hmmm. How exactly would you like it to do that? I could probably change it so that you pass it your DF directory and the number of regions you have, and it could loop through all of them. Would that do what you want?
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2] 3