Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some ideas...  (Read 575 times)

easyname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some ideas...
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:32:30 pm »

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I would just like to post some of my ideas. :)

More town variety:

I think that there should be port towns, which have docks (obviously this would require ships and sea travel) etc. and a different layout to normal ones, more focused around trade. Larger towns and cities should have more structured grid layouts, while smaller ones are quite spread out. There could also be castle towns, which are surrounded by a large wall and have a gatehouse (and maybe some back entrances). These towns would be well defended, but the walls would be able to be taken down by siege weapons etc.

Also, some of the larger towns should have underground sewers/dungeons (for castles) which you can explore are where prisoners and slaves are kept. Certain civilizations could even being some sort of arena where they make prisoners and slaves fight against captured animals. :)

There would also be mining towns, farm villages etc. that all have their own layouts and feels (mining towns would have a large mine underneath where miners work to collect stone and ores).

Also, a more simple idea this time. The ability to collapse a tile. If enemies gain the ability to tunnel into your fortress, and you don't have enough time to build a wall, then you could send your miner over to collapse the tunnel, knocking some earth from above to refill the tile. This will remove the earth tile from above, which may make buildings collapse etc.

I have some more ideas, but I don't have enough time to post them right now.

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
Re: Some ideas...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:35:16 pm »

In the future maybe...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
Re: Some ideas...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 05:43:15 pm »

Not a bad idea, really. What you could do eventually is just have a system of different town 'templates' based on certain factors- if it's on a coastal tile, it'll have certain building unique to 'coastal' towns.  If it's on a volcano tile, it may have, say, a volcanic church, with a sacrificial pit; maybe a cap over the volcano to keep its denizens under check, perhaps a wall or other fortification to deal with them. If it's on a forest tile, it could be made of wooden buildings; If it's built in a desert with clay, bricks; if it's built in a barren, sandy desert, cloth tents and perhaps underground hovels. All sorts of different combinations could be created, with options for modders to create more.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.