Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Outside Glacier Waterfall which turned into a Temple  (Read 4086 times)

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outside Glacier Waterfall which turned into a Temple
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:19:53 pm »

Whee, first post. Got my new Glacier Fort with 39b, enjoying it greatly. Yay for being able to build towers in 10 minutes instead of an hour.

Now, generally my forts have a 15z drop waterfall from the very top of my biggest tower, and I want to try it out here aswell. My only problem is I can imagine that the Water will just freeze back into ice either as it fall, or as it climbs the tower. Thus I thought of pumping magma up along with the water, 1z level below it, in its own compartment. I think that this would keep the water warm enough to get to the top of the tower atleast. Second problem is keeping it from freezing in midair as it comes down, killing everything with giant shards of ice. Now, I know that this could be a kickass trap against the ebil gobbo's, but I would rather have running water  ;) I guess I could have a Magma Fall right behind the waterfall, that cuts of and cycles back to the top before it hits my minio- I mean dwarfs.

Any idea if this would work, or if it doesnt, anyway to get it to?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:33:48 am by Mirtae »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Outside Glacier Waterfall
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:51 pm »

It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!

I don't think the magma will keep the falling water running- I think that is where you will run into problems.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 02:36:51 pm »

Yeah, I don't think warmth is going to transfer between a wall or whatever you use.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 04:24:34 pm »

What if he had a magma pump stack right next to his water pump stack, and pumped the magma up first? It wouldn't have to overflow, just warm the wall. Or would he need a magmaduct under his aqueduct?

I wrote more but lost it so BLAH
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:48:49 pm »

What happens when a falling chunk of ice hits solid ground?

Just don't fortress under it, or you'll be dropping bunker-buster bombs on your fortress.

I would suggest you do this just for the fun of splattering goblins with falling bricks of ice.

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:59:58 pm »

Decided to cancel this in favour of a temple to Armok. Now I just need to channel enough ice to have it look real nice, and plan how I am going to build the glass dome that sits above the main Altar. I Any ideas on what symbol I could use sitting behind it? In a Cross/Star of David/Pentagram kind of way?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 11:20:28 pm »

What's your fortress/civ name or symbol? Something that represents that would be nice. On the other hand, if your symbol is a cheese or something...

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:23:05 pm »

How do you actually check that? Never figured it out.

Edit: One other thing, does Lava from a Pipe have pressure? Cause its currently climbing up my channeled pit, and I would rather not have it begin to overflow.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:40:29 pm by Mirtae »

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00:50 am »

It should not have pressure. It should not rise. If it is... Cap that sucker, now.

And as for a Temple to Armok, may I suggest The Eight-Pointed Star, symbol of Chaos, as befits the Blood God, Khrone Armok.

Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:03:48 am »

Yep, its slowly rising. It appears to be surging along with the pipe, so as it recharges its magma, it gets pushed to the top. Joy. Closed it off, will chuck floodgates on top or something, open them only when making a sacrifice.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 12:11:17 am »

Now that's a proper Khornite Armokian ritual. :P

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 12:12:24 am »

Yep, its slowly rising. It appears to be surging along with the pipe, so as it recharges its magma, it gets pushed to the top. Joy. Closed it off, will chuck floodgates on top or something, open them only when making a sacrifice.

If it's ever been pumped, it will rise to the level of the pump.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 12:15:29 am »

It might of been because it was pushed under by the ice freezing the first few layers of magma, so now its rising to its natural level. If thats true, I should be able to just pull my tower up 1z and be fine. If not, whee, savescumming  ;D

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 12:20:37 am »

Magma freezes?!

I mean, in DF, not the technical definition of freezing (which occurs whenver a liquid transitions to a solid.)

Mirtae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:05 am »

Freeze might of been the wrong term. The top layer of Ice melted into the Magma, supercooling it into Obsidian.

The Circle of Chaos looks like it could work. The current setup of the temple is a large floor level, which will seat the entire fortress on wooden pews, a sacrificial pedestal near the middle, with a bridge on top which can be retracted to kill any gobbos/elf merchants/nobles. This will be surrounded with glass windows so the dwarfs can see in, but the sacrificee cant run away. Behind this is the Altar where a specially named and processioned Priest of Armok will stand stationed for sermons. Behind him will be a really big Circle of Chaos. And with 3D viewer working again, I can see it in 3D \o/. Will take a while though. Its *alot* of Masoning, and If I can just figure out how to surgically remove some peoples eyes I will have my blind priesthood up topside  ;D
Pages: [1] 2