Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dwarven Wish List  (Read 913 times)

Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Dwarven Wish List
« on: July 16, 2008, 01:23:32 pm »

Why should only nobles have wishes and demands?
Ok, normal dwarves dont have the influence to have Melbil McClothiers legs broken for not making them a stack of +cave spider silk leggins+, but maybe they could have little wishes or demands the player can view and, to his own choice, fulfill. this could range from important needs like "i´m a woodcutter and have nothing to cut with" or "my clothes have rotten away. some pants would be nice" to small stuff like "i would be happy if the shop would offer some stone crafts". Maybe the wishes could also be more abstract like having more statues around the place (for the artistic natures) or being accepted into the town guard (doin my duty and stuff).

this would give the player new goals and inspirations he can fulfill if he likes without having a depressed count who decides to round up random metalsmiths for not crafting something out of a metal they do not have (though i dont say tyrannic nobles are bad...)

I thought of a list like the (u)nit screen, but with dwarves and their respective wish. maybe they should be sortable by importance (the required axe over the wish for *obsidian earrings*)

and sorry for the grammar mistakes and strange phrases, i´m the german guy ;)

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Wish List
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:06:15 pm »

I like it. The dwarves already have their likes and dislikes, so you can satisfy them by putting things they like in their rooms or work areas. But it would be cool if they occasionally had specific desires - even cooler if they were motivated by what's going on in the game world.

Perhaps Urist McLover and Cog McDwarf are romantically involved. Urist McLover like obsidian. Cog might desire a set of obsidian earrings to give to Urist - and then they both get happy thoughts. "Cog McDwarf has given a gift to someone special lately" and "Urist McLover has received a special gift lately".

Maybe I should submit that as a PowerGoal?

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:14:18 pm »

To flesh it out a little more:  Perhaps, if this is considered, the wishes could take the place of demands/mandates.  Those dwarves with more power(AKA nobles) could just order justice against the dwarves who violated their wishes or needs.

A separate window to view all the wishes would be nice, like what there is for animals/food/stocks/etc, for example.

I find it reasonable that everyone would have wishes, but obviously only those in power can do something about it(have some people jailed) when they don't get fulfilled.  ^_^

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:38:04 pm »

This seems to be very similar to the current thoughts system. I agree that it could be expanded upon (for example, unhappy thought for a Woodcutter without an axe, happy thought when he gets an axe). More possible "thoughts", including wish-fulfillment type thoughts, would be great, but I'm not sure a whole other system is needed.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:34:07 pm »

This would be a good way to have more reasonable happiness/unhappiness curves for the dwarves. Have all the dwarves periodically think up something they like and have a wish for it. Every so often, if the wish is not granted, the dwarf gets an unhappy thought and these get less severe over time. If the wish is fufilled, not only does the dwarf get all the earned unhappiness gone, but they also get a boost proportional to how much time they spent waiting.

Thus, if it takes you a couple months to satisfy Urist's urge to +Ukulele+ with that elven import, he's ok with waiting, but not as happy as if you had had one lying around beforehand or made one special.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:23 pm »

Heck, this could even evolve into a sort of precursor to a tutorial. You'd go to a screen that contained all the needs and desires of the dwarves in your fort, sorted by some sort of weighting system based on importance.
So, at the top of the list would be "Urist McDwarfingtonmeyer is in dire need of water" and "Urist McDwarfson is in dire need of medical attention."
Further down would be "Urist McMayorydwarf has mandated the construction of two rock salt toy forges, under pain of hammering."
Beneath those would be various needs, like "Urist McMineydwarf requires a pick."
And toward the bottom would be the assorted wishes of the fortresses' lowliest ranks. Nobles take precedent because when their wishes go unfulfilled, cranial injuries aren't far off.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 07:14:59 pm »

Like the idea, would provide an actual challenge :)
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 07:26:42 pm »

This would go well with the complaints that are already in-game.  If Urist McDwarf complains several times about the lack of chairs/tables, then she might get a wish for more chairs/tables.  And if several dwarves have the same wish, it would help indicate to the player improvements that need/should be made.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:29:23 pm »

Perhaps if a dwarf's wish went unfulfilled, it was a sufficiently strong desire, and the dwarf has the capability to make the wished product, the dwarf could get a mood and make it himself? I'd imagine that the mood would not result in either an artifact or a legendary dwarf - just the disruption of production as the annoyed dwarf seizes a workshop and makes what he wants. He'd get his (large, at this point) unhappy thought about not having the desired item replaced by a small unhappy thought a la "Urist McDwarf was annoyed by having to make a desired object herself".

Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 08:22:53 am »

Heck, this could even evolve into a sort of precursor to a tutorial. You'd go to a screen that contained all the needs and desires of the dwarves in your fort, sorted by some sort of weighting system based on

Hey, thats just what i had in mind (=
So you could look up important matters like missing tools or bad living conditions without checking every single dwarf in question. Like, if 27 dwarves really want a well, you would just get it listed as "Urist McFarmer wishes there was a well. 26 other dwarves share this wish."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 08:24:42 am by Zero »

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 05:04:26 pm »

We had a good thread related to this a couple weeks ago: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19753.0
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility