Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dateline: Aromk. Dwarves demand better healthcare.  (Read 1147 times)

Hawke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dateline: Aromk. Dwarves demand better healthcare.
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:12:08 am »

Healthcare suggestions:

Allow for Medical Wards, not just barracks, so that wounded dwarves can be separated from sleeping military (or sparring military) dwarves.  This would allow for better allocation of water sources and health care professionals.

Allow someone who is trained in Health Care to improve the rate a dwarf heals.  Legendary health care workers might even be able to help heal spine injuries.

Allow the status screen to have a medical status which lists all currently injured and / or hospitalized dwarves to show up with a list of their wounds.

Print an announcement any time a dwarf recieves a serious injury.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Dateline: Aromk. Dwarves demand better healthcare.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:15:21 am »

Definitely supported.  And these suggestions could also be applicable (to a lesser extent) to the Animal Care job as well, though maybe not the announcement in the animal case. 
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 02:51:22 pm »

This would be really great.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:56:07 pm »

IIRC if you set up a bed, don't assign it as a barracks OR as a bedroom, dwarves will use it as the hospital AND get a health recovery bonus from it (please confirm)

So most of it is already there

Hawke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:38:35 pm »

Hmmm.  I'll try that.  It might be a good solution to the first part, however I am still suggesting the other parts.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:07:33 pm »

I 100% support that suggestion.

Also, printing a message whenever a dwarve heals from a "serious" (worse than grey) injury would be good.  ;)
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 06:19:08 pm »

Toady has dropped some hints about certain extracts being medicinal, like goldensalve. Complex healthcare is in the works eventually. I hope we get a healer/doctor skill an career.

I also hope there's an option to toggle combat messages without a utility program.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 09:44:05 pm »

Urist Mcdwarf withdraws from society!
Urist is sketching a picture of a broken bone.
Urist is sketching a picture of a large hammer.
Urist has begun a mysterious operation!
Urist has performed Arkencolumn, a legendary chiropracting!
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:51:55 am »

pshh
just cut off the pertinent body part, I mean potato dragons (lost all their legs and stuff) have killed me a disturbing number of times... HOW DO THEY TURN!
though that does bring up the question of a broken head.....
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:20:32 am »

The main thing that needs to be fixed about healthcare is making dwarves actually do it. Right now the leading cause of death in my current fort (after carp, natch) is callous neglect. Yellow or worse wound = boned.

You would think conscious, mobile injured dwarves would prioritize hunger and thirst over sleep, which would at least save some dwarves.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:42:30 am »

Hm...

Have wounds from slash and pierce damage cause constant but not instantly fatal bleeding, so that dwarves may use +rope reed bandages+.

Said bandages will be removed and reused once the wound has healed.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 12:17:46 pm »

The main thing that needs to be fixed about healthcare is making dwarves actually do it. Right now the leading cause of death in my current fort (after carp, natch) is callous neglect. Yellow or worse wound = boned.

You would think conscious, mobile injured dwarves would prioritize hunger and thirst over sleep, which would at least save some dwarves.
Words cannot express how much I agree with this.

In my current fortress, some ambushers managed to sneak through a hole in my (apparently uncompleted) defense scheme and pump arrows into a dozen dwarves.  It was not only nearly impossible to get my 20 idlers to actually give the poor saps some water, but those few times they did decide to help, 3/4 of those jobs were cancelled for no apparent reason.  A water-giver would simply drop his bucket and go straight from "Give Water" to "No Job".

Exactly one dwarf survived long enough to recover.  ONE.  I lost some VERY skilled dwarves simply because a nasty concussion turned out to be a literal death sentence.

</vent>

And yes, I tried all the attempted workarounds I've found, including making more buckets and deconstructing beds and whatnot.

Edit: And now I find the post where Toady said one of the problems (apparently related to this specific situation) was fixed.  Guess I'll try 39c and see if my next batch of casualties gets fed...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:27:52 pm by LegacyCWAL »
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.