Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blocks  (Read 881 times)

Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blocks
« on: July 16, 2008, 10:09:21 am »

Just a quick query, If I make metal ores into blocks for easy storage, are tey still smeltable? or can you only smelt the rough stones?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Blocks
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:56 am »

You can only smelt the rough stones. Although there's a mod somewhere to turn blocks back into stones.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:10:29 pm »

Why would you make them into blocks?  Bars can be stored very efficiently in bins.  To use the metal in the blocks for making other items, you'll have to melt them, which only gives you like 33% of the original metal.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:31:20 pm »

Just turn them into bars of metal.  They get the same storage ratio (space to amount) as blocks anyway.  But you need fuel.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:14:57 am »

Just turn them into bars of metal.  They get the same storage ratio (space to amount) as blocks anyway.  But you need fuel.

or magma :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:59:40 am »

that would count as fuel aswel... i think...
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:39:18 am »

that would count as fuel aswel... i think...

Technically no. You don't burn magma to generate heat for smelting (which is what fuel is for), the magma just generates heat on it's own.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:45:16 am »

Metal blocks are only really useful if you are making large scale constructions.  A 5x9 aluminum bridge, or a platinum road.  Constructions take several metal bars to build what could be built with fewer blocks.  The storage issue has already been addressed, smelt ore into metal bars, stockpile into bins.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 06:02:28 am »

Hmm, so you use 3/4 of the blocks than you do bars for big constructions? interesting.
Magma is overrated.