Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World creation option: Stop Gen Now.  (Read 1905 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: World creation option: Stop Gen Now.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

Greetings!

Scrolling and stoppage are in now.  Things like rewind/fast-forward aren't really practical without a lot of extra storage or a completely different way of doing things.

Thanks a lot, Toady! That is wonderful news.

I am really grateful, but while we are on the topic, I wanted to ask about another suggestion I thought I saw going around somewhere and which seems related:

History mode

That is, instead of starting a fortress or an adventurer, you can specify a number of years and the game will load the current world as it is and then runs it through the history simulator again for as many years as stated.

No other features added, just using the same routines and functions also used during the recounting legends phase of world generation. So, I imagine it could be implemented relatively easily (of course, I don't know the internals of DF, so this is just speculation).

Sorry about being so direct, but I simply had to ask. (Oh boy, I must sound like a really greedy person here (T_T) )

Regardless of this, just having the stop function makes me all warm and fuzzy.

Deathworks

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 10:15:26 am »

How do you have time to respond to practically everything on the forum AND do more work in a day than an entire development team could do in week?!

Are you a wizard?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58:07 am »

Hi!

How do you have time to respond to practically everything on the forum AND do more work in a day than an entire development team could do in week?!

Are you a wizard?

I assume, you want to tell me I shouldn't be greedy. I am sorry if that impression was created. I didn't want to pressure Toady or ask for that feature. It was just a thought that came to mind when I saw this, and since Toady had just responded in this thread, I wanted to ask about it (not for it, mind you).

But I agree wholeheartedly that Toady is a most astounding person. I mean all the work he is doing for us both writing this game and keeping tabs on the ever-growing community. I mean, he does not only respond to bug reports and suggestions, but he also answers threads in the fortress mode and adventure section.

There is really a dedicated person you should respect. Lacking the financial ressources to donate, all I can do is bow my head and at least try to be helpful by sharing my findings with people here in the community.

If my previous post seemed to imply disrespect towards Toady, it was not my intention.

Deathworks

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 04:11:33 pm »

Nono, just marvelling at how fast he works. It's like "Hey Toady, this little thing could be changed like so and help me a bunch" and he's like "Okay, done".
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 06:56:31 pm »

History mode

Once world gen stops, it finalizes all of the civilizations and their associated symbols etc. as well as all of the historical figures, and it gets rid of a lot of the helper information it had stored.  That information could be reconstructed, repeated finalizations could be dodged, and it could start thinking of the finalized unit-hist-figs as normal hist figs again, but there are associated difficulties there (such as updating the finalized information to square with new world gen events).  It's not as easy as just telling it to start again, anyway.  So it's neither impossible nor the kind of thing that can just be slipped in there.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 09:13:38 pm »

History mode

Once world gen stops, it finalizes all of the civilizations and their associated symbols etc. as well as all of the historical figures, and it gets rid of a lot of the helper information it had stored.  That information could be reconstructed, repeated finalizations could be dodged, and it could start thinking of the finalized unit-hist-figs as normal hist figs again, but there are associated difficulties there (such as updating the finalized information to square with new world gen events).  It's not as easy as just telling it to start again, anyway.  So it's neither impossible nor the kind of thing that can just be slipped in there.

But it would be something worth working on, right? Many people would appreciate the ability to make an adventurer, kill some stuff, and see how their actions affected the world on a larger scale.

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 10:12:29 pm »

But it would be something worth working on, right? Many people would appreciate the ability to make an adventurer, kill some stuff, and see how their actions affected the world on a larger scale.
I think this is my single most desired feature.

..with alternate planes of existence and god slaying and retiring as a god a close second. :D
Rogan?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 01:56:36 am »

Hi!

Thank you for the informative answer, Toady.

Too bad it is not as easy as I hoped. Like the other two recent posters, I also see a lot of potential in such a feature.

Deathworks
Pages: 1 [2]