Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encouraging waterfalls in world gen  (Read 952 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Encouraging waterfalls in world gen
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:41:53 am »

Hey all,

I'm wondering what I need to tweak to create a world that has plenty of waterfalls? I've searched my current world created using nearly default gen properties (tweaked caves, that's it) and even the fortress areas started over streams that appear to travel across 3 cliff variations (1, 2, and 3) and the water ways appear to all stay at the same z level.

Any help?

Cheers!

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encouraging waterfalls in world gen
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:23:44 am »

uhhmm.... lots of water and a lot of cliffs?
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:12:40 pm »

uhhmm.... lots of water and a lot of cliffs?

Yeah.  Specifically I would try putting a high minimum on rivers, turning off cliff erosion, and maybe messing with the elevation settings.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:25:44 pm »

Yeah, I've tried these on the worlds I've got now. Still not much difference. I seem to only find waterfalls where two rivers intersect (T-intersections). Were there ever waterfalls anywhere else??

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:52:03 pm »

Actually, I managed to make two wonderful waterfalls around a fortress. I found a location where two rivers intersect, and for two squares (on the far left fortress selection map) the rivers run horizontal and parallel to each other before connecting. When I started my fort there, the northern river was on the same level as the plateau, and the southern river was about 6 z levels below and cuts a nice straight gorge across the bottom of the plateau (the other side of the gorge steeply slopes down to about the river level). Both just ran off the map on each side.

So the first thing I did was create two north-south channels between the northern river and the gorge of the southern river and have left the north to just flow over the edge into the south. The space in between is a near perfect square, and I'll be able to extend the channels around the the southern face of the fort to have a cascading waterfall all along the length.

The only problem is that for the 4 square wide northern river, much of the water entering the map is draining rapidly into the first channel and the second channel is taking a while to fill. If I create the cascade, I imagine it will be uneven amounts all along the edge for most of the time.