Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oh your gonna love this  (Read 1644 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh your gonna love this
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:15:49 am »

So my fortress is on its feet and well into the second year. It has been assaulted by goblin ambushers but escaped without a scratch (possibly because it is situated in a human town. they humies took about 20 casualties by the way...) and then the dwarf caravan arrives. hurrah! I need an anvil and specifically requested one as well. good on you dwarves! then tragedy strikes. I get all my goods to the depot and then discover the caravan destroyed and its guard slaughtered. wha? as it turns out, going over the bodies, they clashed with the humans (causing another 5 casualties) and were brutally cut down. this is probably because of the new army arc and all but has this happened to anyone before? oh, and now I own the entire caravans stock. I'm not complaining...

J3st3r

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Oh your gonna love this
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:57:44 am »

Sounds like you found a new way of trading, if only those pesky humans keep making more military units to keep killing the caravans. :)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:09:21 am »

Sounds like the dwarven and human civs were at war with each other at the moment...
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:08:02 pm »

Sounds like the dwarven and human civs were at war with each other at the moment...

If that's the case, shouldn't the town inhabitants have been initially hostile to the dwarven settlers?
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:34:38 pm »

The dwarven settlers could be a different civilization.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:53:46 pm »

Wahh, is it possible now to embark on a town and get a combat with humans like with goblins before?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:03:23 pm »

Wahh, is it possible now to embark on a town and get a combat with humans like with goblins before?

If the chosen dwarven civ is at war with the human civ, seems logical.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:05:38 pm »

If the chosen dwarven civ is at war with the human civ, seems logical.

Am I correct in thinking there is no way to choose what civilization you start out as in fortress mode?
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:09:14 pm »

You can choose which dwarven civ you start as, but not which race. Although it's easily moddable to let you play as Elves, Humans, Goblins, whatever.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 05:13:42 pm »

You can choose which dwarven civ you start as, but not which race. Although it's easily moddable to let you play as Elves, Humans, Goblins, whatever.

Waitwaitwaitwait, HOW do you pick the dwarven civ? I've never heard or seen anything about this.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 05:15:40 pm »

It's one of the options that you can bring up by pressing tab

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 05:50:15 pm »

Yeah. It actually makes a difference, especially now. Each civ can have different relations with the other races, as well as different resources. So if you know for a fact that the area you're in doesn't have any flux, you can pick a civ that is in an area that has flux.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 06:04:45 pm »

In the embark screen, press tab until you see the list of dwarven civs, then pressing - or + will select which civ your outpost belongs to.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 06:34:33 pm »

How do you tell which civs you are at war with before you emark? I settled on a fortress and expected to be at war with the inhabitants.  I guess the red line next to goblins on the embark screen means nothing :(

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 07:13:56 pm »

guess I got lucky then because the humans are very accommodating
Pages: [1] 2