Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Prospector-like init.txt options  (Read 1373 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prospector-like init.txt options
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:28:20 pm »

Having finally got around to switching my pc back to linux, I've realised just how handy regional prospector was for checking out a world. With the new definable world design params, I think this is even more important: I really want to see how param changing affects this stuff.

Basically, I think the following stuff should to be settable (yes/no), either in world params or init.txt settings:
show underground rivers on embark
show underground pools on embark
show magma pools on embark
show magma vents on embark
show chasms on embark
show adamantium deposits on embark*
show pits on embark*
*(not having had many HFS maps, I am not sure if these are linked 100% or not. If the are, clearly only one option is needed)

Can anyone think of a feature I forgot? Maybe roads/tunnels? I haven't seen any of those yet on the embark screen.

This doesn't have to be done Regional Prospector-style, but that way seems to work pretty well.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Prospector-like init.txt options
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:35:41 pm »

Loving this idea, I'd be more willing to play 39b if I knew what the place I was starting in had. As is, I just use 38c because prospector works there.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:46:21 pm »

Yes please.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:51 pm »

I'm all for this idea as well.

But with them defaulted to off, and then you can go turn them on.

This is "beta" Testing correct?

Well we cant beta test if we cant find any of the good stuff. :)

Having options to turn this stuff on is all in todays favor. Then we can literally find these things, and properly beta test it. We cant find any bugs that might have to do with underground water magma or chasms if we cant find them....
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:56:53 am »

Having finally got around to switching my pc back to linux, I've realised just how handy regional prospector was for checking out a world. With the new definable world design params, I think this is even more important: I really want to see how param changing affects this stuff.

I realise your asking for the features to be in the game rather than as a hack, however just to make sure you know that the region prospector is one of the few hacks that seems to work fine under wine. (obviously this is less help with the new version but..)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Beacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf-Beacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 03:58:12 am »

u guise r layme. Half the fun is embarking, choose somewhere with a visible vent, and then getting there to find you have a chasm visible too, and other stuff under the surface.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:26:42 am »

I dislike embarking near chasms and underground rivers, as they massacre my FPS.  I've abandoned several maps before I started to use Regional Prospector.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:32:32 am »

I realise your asking for the features to be in the game rather than as a hack, however just to make sure you know that the region prospector is one of the few hacks that seems to work fine under wine. (obviously this is less help with the new version but..)
So far, the new version makes xubuntu reboot.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:16:48 am »

u guise r layme.

And you, sir, are butchering the English tongue terribly.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 05:23:45 am »

u guise r layme.

And you, sir, are butchering the English tongue terribly.
And missing the point in roughly equal quantities, aye.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 05:32:30 am »

That too I guess. Bottom line is, it IS useful for people looking for a specific set up for a fort. If you don't like it, keep it off, thats why it's suggested as an init file. I'm working on an underwater city made of glass, this would be entirely impossible without the magma pipe I have, which I used prospector to find. It would be a useful tool to anyone looking to do a specific challenge.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 09:16:57 am »

I'm all for making the game harder (my official beta opinion) but also I have come to realize that init options like these are a plus. In particular, when someone has gone to the trouble to design a utility to do just what is being suggested, it only makes sense for it to be a standard OPTION.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:28:48 am »

Just so long as cheating feels like cheating

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 09:30:35 am »

Just so long as cheating feels like cheating

I prefer to think of it as more of a difficulty setting with some of the inits. The defaults being as hard as it gets, turning off economy and invasions making it easier, and such.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

I'm not entirely sure how looking for places that have HFS makes the game easier.. or is 'cheating' in any shape or form.

However if it makes it less 'cheating' for you how about an option where we can make it random pick a site that has a selectable list of features. (it could of course have ones you don't require as well).
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: [1] 2