Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: got regional prospector working (39+)  (Read 16069 times)

Emnar

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun...I should know!
    • View Profile
Re: got regional prospector working (39b)
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 02:59:56 pm »

So stare down your nose at people all you want. I've made successful fortresses on Terrifying coasts without a drop of fresh water, Using regional prospector to give me flowing magma and water to allow a total sandbox area isn't something I will give up, until I can go from adventurer prospector to dwarf fortress that is...

Friendly fire!  I read what Qmarx wrote as endorsing the use of Regional Prospecter, if that's your bag.  He was saying that accusations of cheating are meaningless in a game you can't win and where the primary joy is in just playing it (and losing!).  If you find that RP or any other utility makes that process more fun, then nobody should tell you it's "cheating," and from what I've read in this thread, nobody has.

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 03:29:50 am »

It's finding lava for me. Are you sure you're looking in the right biomes?
Are mountians still the right biomes?
laceholder Signature

corc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 11:37:55 am »

Yeah, I was under the impression that lava was in every mountain square but saw it far less often than the blue tilda or light blue pound symbol :(  This was in the previous version of DF as well as the current.

neoquietus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 01:44:53 pm »

Each mountain square seems to have adamantite, a "river" type chasm, a "sinkhole" type chasm, an underground river, and an underground lake, but lava/magma does not seem to be required.

Every time I've gone looking for lava with this patched version I've found it right where it says it is, though in a few cases a supposedly "surface" magma vent was actually a few z levels below ground and I had to dig for it.

mmeurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: got regional prospector working (39+)
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 03:44:01 pm »

I got rivers displaying correctly. The new version is linked in the first post.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 07:55:34 pm »

Yeah, I was under the impression that lava was in every mountain square but saw it far less often than the blue tilda or light blue pound symbol :(  This was in the previous version of DF as well as the current.

Nope - and they never were, AFAIK (maybe you were just lucky in your site selection previously :P). You want to look for places which have layers whose names are in dark text (these are Igneous extrusive layers). Those are almost always guaranteed to have 2 magma sources somewhere on the (maximum embarkable size) map. Magma vents or volcanos visible from embark-selection count as one of those two sources.

See http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Stone for more information on stone types.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:57:20 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 10:04:16 pm »

Before the new map generation system, at least one lava tile (pool/pipe/volcano) could be found on every mountain tile. Now it's much rarer, but they do still exist. I fault the new ability to customize lava/volcanoes.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 10:41:30 pm »

Before the new map generation system, at least one lava tile (pool/pipe/volcano) could be found on every mountain tile. Now it's much rarer, but they do still exist. I fault the new ability to customize lava/volcanoes.

What? By old version, you mean .38, right?

Because there was hardly EVER magma on mountain tiles back then. Unless prospector was horribly broken.

Are you thinking of the 2D version, which always had a river, cave-river, magma, chasm, and HFS?
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 01:22:10 am »

Any info on whether the new version of prospector will show tunnels between dwarven fortresses?  I love the idea of having my fortress built on the road between two others.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 12:36:49 pm »

Is there anyway someone else could upload the file to somewhere other than DFFD?  I've never been able to download from that site.  I always get an error.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »

Does the hacked RP work with 39c?

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2008, 07:31:24 pm »

Nevermind: I can confirm, WORKS WITH 39c!

Drakis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 11:51:37 am »

we need an update for 39d, it doesnt work now. :(

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:41 am »

What for? Look in your init.txt file - DF itself provides the same functionality now (if you enable it), and even includes a site finder!  :D
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mmeurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 01:02:37 pm »

It seems that the need for this tool has been completely obviated. Thanks a lot for the new features Toady! You have saved me from maintaining a horrible mess of assembly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4