Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 39's gameplay changes?  (Read 1645 times)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
39's gameplay changes?
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:49:26 pm »

So, aside from the fancy world-gen legends (which are AWESOME) what can I actually expect to see differently in my fortress? What should I know so that I don't look like an idiot for being used to 38c?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
Re: 39's gameplay changes?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:54:52 pm »

Toady already stated you probably wont see many if any gameplay changes in Fortress mode with this release. That said the world gen got a number of overhauls to make the world inhabited with rich characters and places full of history to discover.

Adventure mode also received more completion with the implementation of more varied quests somewhat and with the new world gen a more believable world to explore.

This release was a bit more build-up to the next release which will hopefully include giving the player the ability to send out armies and for army battles to happen as we play the game.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:09 pm »

• improved constructions (you can build multiple walls, floors, etc at once)
  • mass dumping/melting
  • dwarves will gain an unhappy thought from eating the same food all the time

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:06:13 pm »

• improved constructions (you can build multiple walls, floors, etc at once)
;D
  • mass dumping/melting
;D
:o :o :o
[/list]

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Now i'll have to buy TRADERFOOD
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:31:37 pm »

Mass dumping?!  How???

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:38:08 pm »

[d]-(b)-something or other, you should see it from there. You can also [h]ide stuff (like rocks) which makes them still unforbidden (I think?), but not visible.

Edit: Heh, silly forum and its unorthodox formatting.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:40:45 pm by 1138 »

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 02:17:56 pm »

[/list]

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Now i'll have to buy TRADERFOOD

Or you could, you know, have multiple sources of local food.  I'm guessing that this will affect fortresses that have nothing but plump helmet, but if you slaughter livestock, catch fish and grow a couple of edible crops there is probably nothing to worry about.  (Though hopefully they will vary their diet by choice, and not get upset because they always take food from the nearest barrel and it happens to contain donkey biscuits.)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
    • Studiously Avoidant
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 02:24:31 pm »

I think the Dev already explained this one. Dwarves will travel pretty far to get new food, but probably not across the entire map. Likely across the entire fort, though. And the mass build designations and hiding are great for building your fort nice and clean.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
    « Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 02:31:55 pm »

Wow, I was thinking a very short time ago that one thing the game absolutely needed was a way to set dump or melt designations in large numbers.  Half the time I'm giving orders it's to have stuff dumped or melted (goblin trash mostly).  Also, After having completed just one level of the above ground portion of my fortress, in 38c, I can say that being able to designate an entire wall or floor at once will make all the difference in the world. Not that I'm going to ditch my current efforts to upgrade.  Does anyone know if the update invalidates saves?

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 03:00:48 pm »

[/list]

Or you could, you know, have multiple sources of local food.  I'm guessing that this will affect fortresses that have nothing but plump helmet, but if you slaughter livestock, catch fish and grow a couple of edible crops there is probably nothing to worry about.  (Though hopefully they will vary their diet by choice, and not get upset because they always take food from the nearest barrel and it happens to contain donkey biscuits.)

So, what counts as variety? How many kinds do they need? Will they take Plump Helmet Biscuits, Wine Biscuits, Wine Roasts, and Plump Helmet roasts as being 4 kinds of food, or 2 kinds of food? Is 2 enough? Is 4 enough? Also, it is nice for finally being rewarded for  doing crop rotation and making everything.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
        • View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 07:27:52 pm »

[/list]

So, what counts as variety? How many kinds do they need? Will they take Plump Helmet Biscuits, Wine Biscuits, Wine Roasts, and Plump Helmet roasts as being 4 kinds of food, or 2 kinds of food? Is 2 enough? Is 4 enough? Also, it is nice for finally being rewarded for  doing crop rotation and making everything.

You could just embark with all the edible dwarven crops (sweet pods, cave wheat, quarry bushes) or get them from the dwarven caravan otherwise. There's more complicated logistics to them than plump helmets (cave wheat must be milled, quarry bushes must be processed at a farmer's workshop, and sweet pods can be processed or milled) but it's rewarding to see your efforts pay off and worth it in the long run.

Oh and pigtails, they can't be eaten but they can be brewed and can also be processed into fabric (with which you can make bags, and you'll need lots of bags.)

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
        • I'm building a wagon!
          • View Profile
        « Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54:24 pm »

Right now they'll treat the foods they are tired of as if they are much further away, but they won't walk across the fortress to get a new food if an old one is really close by in comparison.

edit:  To clarify -- for foods they like, distance is divided by 2 and then 30 is subtracted.  For foods they are tired of, distance is multiplied by 4 and 100 is added.  So they will walk quite a way for novel foods, but if they are standing on top of an old food and the nearest new food is more than 100 away, they'll go for the old one, unless they like the new food, in which case they'll go up to 260.  Of course, all distances are just 3D manhattan distances, since it can't afford to do a corridor-based distance calc here.

edit 2:  Also, cooked foods are counted provided they are all made out of one ingredient.  If a food is made out of two or more different item types, the system stores it as "generic prepared food" which adds a buffer against boredom for a few years.  So you can't escape by using plump helmet roasts, but if you have two food items you can escape by preparing them.  In general, three types of food (without cooking) is enough -- dwarves will get sick of a food if they have to eat it five times within a few years provided they have only eaten two types of food.  They don't mind eating something five times provided they have eaten two other types of food or a two+ different item prepared meal within the last few years.
        "Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
          • View Profile
        « Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:03:46 pm »

how do cooks decide what ingredients they pick?

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
          • View Profile
        « Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 12:10:37 am »

how do cooks decide what ingredients they pick?

Whichever item closest, that is what they choose.

VeryBadThingsDownHere

• Bay Watcher
          • View Profile
        « Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 12:20:48 am »

There's always Wild Strawberries -- the above-ground version of the Plump Helmet.
        Why don't you kids finish that barrel before opening a new one!?
        Pages: [1] 2