Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163689 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #465 on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:09 pm »

Unfortunately, these map tend to be 3x3 or 6x6 or something like that. As it so happens, I am in need of a map that has the following:

one (1) magma pipe
a source of sand
a source of ice
Hidden fun stuff
access to other civilisations
at least eighty (80) z-levels

Unfortunately, my computer cannot handle embark sites of any great size, so many of the ones posted I cannot use. I must therefore ask whether anyone has such a site that spans a maximum of four embark tiles (I am willing to use nano fortress to achieve this).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 16, 2009, 02:45:19 pm »

Sand is best done by modding all soil to be sand.

The rest can theoretically be achieved with the Sitefinder utility I think.

I can't run it though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 17, 2009, 08:13:25 am »

After much genning I managed to create such a world, if anyone wants to use it:

That's a rainforest next to HFS next to a magma pipe. It also has sand and an aquifer. Unfortunately. z-levels are scarce.

Here's the gen deatils (I did it using dig deeper):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:23:44 am by ed boy »

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 18, 2009, 06:42:49 pm »

I just did some genning and got an epic waterfall.

Spoiler: Parameters (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Site (click to show/hide)

It has a magma pool (or, if you want it, a magma pipe nearby, you need a larger area though), and you can skip the aquifers easily. It's 12-something z-levels, and it's the major river itself.

I got a glitch - The water never drained from the map. Just...be careful.

titan-rex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Crazy dinospartus Rex
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2009, 05:43:54 pm »

none of these world gens work for me..... damn you civilisation forge for being so good but me having to get rid of you for these to work :(
[CANCELS_SOCIAL_LIFE: REASON: DWARF FORTRESS]

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »

If by not working, you mean infinite rejects, then thats kinda odd. Even with all the weird stone civ mod adds, it shouldnt involve rejection params.

If its specific sites being all different... then yeah, they will be different when you mod the stone layers and such. Just grab a good set to gen with and find a nice site.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

LostEnder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 02, 2010, 04:53:17 pm »

I'm confused, I've embarked on BloodBeard's site, using a 3x3 area.  I got the magma pipe, and the bottomless pit, sand, trees, etc. but no chasm. Is it possible that the chasm is hidden? I'm pretty sure that I specified one when I was using the finder, but that doesn't really help much.  I don't want to get my fort half built and then have to scrap the design because there's a cleft across the middle, y'know?

EDIT:Exploratory mining has proven that there is a chasm in the promised location, but it is completely covered, starting at the first layer that is completely underground. It is also probably the narrowest chasm I've ever seen, no more than 3-4 tiles wide in most places. Interesting!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:52:07 pm by LostEnder »

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 05, 2010, 02:22:46 pm »

I hate throwing another request in this post, but I'm looking for a fairly specific site for a megaproject...

I'm trying to get Flux, Unlimited Magma, Unlimited Water, Decent Tree Growing ability(underground water or in a Forrest) and a minimum of 150z levels with most the map relatively flat...

And a chasm is preferred, but not required.
While an aquifer is not preferred, but ok if it doesn't cover most the site.

I know this will be easy in the next version, but i kind of want to get a head start on testing out some of the logistics for what I'm trying. 

I want an embark site that is at least 3x3, but would prefer 5x5 and if I have to go larger in one direction or another to avoid leveling a 100z mountain I'm willing to.

I'm currently running ultrafinder to help me find sites, but while I've found so far have great promise, till I see that there are only 2 or 3 Z-levels.  I've got erosion turned off, and I don't really care about temperature, Evilness, or anything else.

Anyone know of a site that is similar or have any suggestions for better world genning?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 06, 2010, 02:27:40 pm »

Generated something interesting, a 33x33 world with 4 islands, each island bordering its own edge of the map.
~snip~
This is awesome!
Can you embark on the three non-dwarves islands?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 09, 2010, 06:23:18 pm »

any one know where i can find explanations for what the different tags do? I mean the tags themselves, like what effect does modifying drainage have.

I'm trying to get a map with lots of rivers, magma, and ug water sources close to one another
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:57:09 pm by warhammer651 »
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2010, 08:18:38 pm »

How can you edit your civilisations to maximise the chances of having a large number of long pointless wars to maximise the chances of conflict while minimising the odds that civilisations will be destroyed?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 10, 2010, 01:12:54 am »

Generated something interesting, a 33x33 world with 4 islands, each island bordering its own edge of the map.
~snip~
This is awesome!
Can you embark on the three non-dwarves islands?
You can embark on any location that has at least 1 embark square that can be traveled upon in worldgen (anything not water or mountain). Even if you Dwarf civilisation cannot reach it. They are also allways able to reach you with trade caravans. This doesnt go for other civs, so you would only be able to trade with the people whos island you embark on.

Im not quite sure whether or not goblins will attack you when your not on the goblin island, but thats easy enough to find out isnt it? ;)

any one know where i can find explanations for what the different tags do? I mean the tags themselves, like what effect does modifying drainage have.

I'm trying to get a map with lots of rivers, magma, and ug water sources close to one another
I could go on and explain it all, but this one is probably more helpful http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Advanced_world_generation

How can you edit your civilisations to maximise the chances of having a large number of long pointless wars to maximise the chances of conflict while minimising the odds that civilisations will be destroyed?

Tough one... war and civilisations getting killed usualy go hand in hand. I havnt tried this myself, but it might work to give each race (not civ) a large strech of land to cover, which other races would not want to populate.

Elves for example refuse to live outside their frilly forests. Humans, goblins and dwarves are less picky, but their will be less likely to settle in each others biomes then in their own. Kobolds dont expand into territory of other civs at all, they like their caves just fine.

Achieve this with low variations in your parameters, possibly use some weight values to max out the amouth habitable land. The rest would be finding the right amouth of civs to start with. Just enough for their borders to reach eachother, but few enough to make it so they wont be starting the deathmatch kind of thing they do when you clutter too many together.

If none of this works then you might want to try modding them into being more picky about their biomes. Use the [BIOME_SUPPORT:etc] tag.

Of course the wars might just result in the civs burning eachother cities down rather then conquering them, but if they do you at least commited interesting dwarf science!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 10, 2010, 01:34:16 am »

You can embark on any location that has at least 1 embark square that can be traveled upon in worldgen (anything not water or mountain). Even if you Dwarf civilisation cannot reach it. They are also allways able to reach you with trade caravans. This doesnt go for other civs, so you would only be able to trade with the people whos island you embark on.
Not quite true, if you get it such that no edge of your selected map is a valid spawn (that is, is underwater) then I hear the caravans will not come. Unfortunately creating an island that stays within 1 region tile that this is possible is something of a dark art.Worldpainting a map to be a bunch of 1x1 islands (with one larger w/mountain for the first dwarves) only gets a few percent that don't cross region tiles.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 15, 2010, 06:52:12 pm »

umm hi, nub question here. i have finally managed to gen some of my own worlds in world gen, and i want some advice on how to add more soil layers near mountains.... any ideas? currently i can only get 1 soil layer near any given mountain.
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »

Well, increasing the elevation variance should help, as well as just increasing the number of subregions in general.  Also, I read somewhere that significantly decreasing the number of erosion cycles can cause mountains with soil layers. 

Also, I have a question.  What is the impact of more vs less years of worldgen history.  I know events happen and civs fight and get conquered and megabeasts die but:
1) will more years increase the average number of animals on the map?
2) will more years increase the number of skeleton creatures in evil regions?
3) in terms of say, the severity of goblin attacks, is there a difference between being next to one goblin tower with X population and being next to a dozen goblin towers each with X population?   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42