Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163702 times)

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #450 on: December 09, 2009, 04:06:05 am »

Thanks, I've experimented with the values and now have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. Custom tailoring new worlds is a fun experience!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:39 am »

Has Toady ever stated what order the worldgen variables are applied? (like elevation, then rainfall, then drainage, etc.)

I've tried doing a series of tests to isolate each variable and determine its effects (and hopefully generate images to put together a world-builder's guide), but not knowing the procedural order is a bitch.

It appears the order is something like:

Elevation
Temperature
Rainfall
Drainage

But it seems like maybe it goes back and does a second pass, wherein rainfall modifies temperature, or recalculates after erosion changes elevation maybe? I've tried doing flat or minimally elevated maps, with everything else configured so that it should be either a gradient or a single value across the map, but when I generate the relevant temp/rainfall/etc maps, they're not the nice predictable maps that I'm expecting.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 09, 2009, 12:25:18 pm »

Generated something interesting, a 33x33 world with 4 islands, each island bordering its own edge of the map.

The north one only has gobbos and a demon (used to have humans, but not for long)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The east only has elfs (yak!)

The south has only humans.

The west has 2 dwarf forts.

The dragon was killed by some gobbo somewhere after 500, total waste :(

Image:
Params:

I think its a pretty funny world, so I thought id post it for people to see/use it for whatever.

Also, on the subject of the post above, I think Toady once talked about the geographical part of worldgen in either DFtalk 3 or 4. maybe 2... I dont remember, using the transscripts would probabaly be a quick way to find out.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:32:27 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 09, 2009, 06:14:16 pm »

any kobolds?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 09, 2009, 11:17:04 pm »

Hehe, unfortunately not. I put in some caves, but no kobolds ever got generated. Guess a 33x33 can only support so much. Altering the number of caves might work, maybe with trying some different history seeds. Assuming those alter initial civ placement.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 10, 2009, 08:08:21 am »

Heh...I'll have to play around with that one to see what effects a 1-man civilization has on gameplay.

As far as the chat logs, yeah I've looked through a fair chunk of that, especially the Gamasutra interview, but I haven't seen anything confirming or denying if there's any kind of back-looping in the worldgen procedure that would explain the kind of anomalies I see. In theory, a world with zero X/Y variance in elevation, temperature, rainfall and drainage should produce a single terrain type across the entire map (in actuality, it produces infinite rejects unless you turn them off...DF does not like single-elevation maps).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 10, 2009, 03:19:10 pm »

I think what you are seeing might be 'do orographic precipation and rain shadows'.

The map is first generated as 1 flat homogenous region, it then puts in volcanoes which cause a sharp elevation. The rainshadow reduces rainfall west of the mountain with an amouth depending in its elevation.

Turning rainshadows off will give you a world with a big grassland, volcanoes, some low mountains where the volcanoes cluster. No variation in rainfall.

Removing volcanoes will prove that flat-elevated world ARE very much possible, even one consisting of only 1 region. And that you can even have civs on it, albeit only humans and elves (I tried to get kobolds to spawn in the caves, but they dont seem to like my worlds)

EDIT:
Also the most dry world I ever made. No aquifers, no river, no lakes, no oceans, not even any underground rivers! The only water in the whole world is in underground pools, and possibly some in aboveground murky pools.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:24:17 pm by Grimlocke »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 10, 2009, 05:35:32 pm »

I've had this site for quite a while but I don't think i'll ever be using it. It's the most jammed-packed site for it's size that i've ever seen.

Within a 2x5 area it has an underground pool, HFS, 1 tile underground river, 2 tile chasm, bottomless pit, magma pipe (named volcano), magma chamber, sand and trees (no flux unfortunately). If you're willing to cut out the underground pool and magma chamber (keeping the magma pipe) you can squeeze the rest into a 2x3 site.

There are 29 z-levels aboveground including the sky, it's about the same in the 2x3 version I think.

Here's the seed:

And a screenshot:

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 10, 2009, 06:26:17 pm »

I've had this site for quite a while but I don't think i'll ever be using it. It's the most jammed-packed site for it's size that i've ever seen.

Within a 2x5 area it has an underground pool, HFS, 1 tile underground river, 2 tile chasm, bottomless pit, magma pipe (named volcano), magma chamber, sand and trees (no flux unfortunately). If you're willing to cut out the underground pool and magma chamber (keeping the magma pipe) you can squeeze the rest into a 2x3 site.

There are 29 z-levels aboveground including the sky, it's about the same in the 2x3 version I think.

Here's the seed:

...Well, not 3x3 but you got near beating the Leaderboard... Ma'or props.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 10, 2009, 11:15:43 pm »

I actually got that site beat within a 2x3 area. In addition to 5 features (tying the leader), my site has sand, trees, and you don't need Embark Anywhere to use it (his area is in the middle of a mountain?).

Neat.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: worldgen challenge
« Reply #460 on: December 11, 2009, 12:50:48 pm »

bla
Done all this. Hundreds of rejections, getting nowhere. :\ Rejections seem to crop up after setting the temperature.
Turn off all the minimum this and that surface parameters, check if the generator has enough room to place caves, rivers, volcanoes and mountain peaks.

Also, I found that raising minimum volcanism to 50 doesnt remove all flux/magnetite/other non-ignious stuff,including bauxite.

For use or reference, or whatever you like, the param set i used for my last world.
Sites with both magma and non-igneous layers (the ones with tons of ores) arnt that hard to find with it.

I just created a world using those settings.

I checked the history (historical figures), and found loads of records of mermaids/mermen attacking various groups, killing people, eating animals, razing hovels, etc. 

Is this normal, or has something been corrupted somewhere?

(Or have the merfolk been provoked to this by all the threads on farming and butchering them?)

Edited:

Turns out it was my fault for messing up a new creature type I'd created earlier.  I'd copied the goblin entry in the creature_standard file, but forgot to change the [GOBLIN] tag, which seems to have messed up what creatures got used for which entities. 

Unfortunately this also made the game unstable.  Shame, as I'd quite liked the idea of rampaging carnivorous mermaid megabeasts, cities founded by kobolds, unicorn adventurers, and all the other weirdness it caused.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:52:00 pm by Iapetus »
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 11, 2009, 08:47:56 pm »

Hahaha, revenge of the mermaids!

When I read that I allmost though 'awesome, didnt even notice that myself!' but soon I realised that mermaids razing hovels isnt realy suppost to happen.

It would be quite a funny mod though, carp-like merpeople that spring from rivers, killing, razing and stealing everything.

I immagine adding [SEMIMEGABEAST] and [AMPHEBIOUS] along with upping the populations, birth rate, attack strength and putting in river biomes could go a long way.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 12, 2009, 11:16:11 am »

Murlocs.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 13, 2009, 06:59:58 pm »

Murlocs.

I have infact got the murloc mod included in my raws at the moment, as well as as an ogre civ, a second (tougher) type of human, and druchii (they the ones that messed up the raws).  I've embarked on a site that contains a Joyous Wilds biome, and a Terrifying ocean, and a volcano, which contains fire and magma men, skeletal fire imps and OMG TWO PAGES WORTH OF MURLOCKS ARE SWARMING MY FORTRESS!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:11:43 pm by Iapetus »
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 13, 2009, 07:30:43 pm »

I don't suppose you feel like sharing the save?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 42