Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163705 times)

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #435 on: November 24, 2009, 09:12:29 pm »

Anyone got settings for a volcanic world with lots of tropical forests, and deserts? aquifer heavy if possible.

Also evil and savage. >.>

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 24, 2009, 11:03:09 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1631

A 4X4 embark with every non-magma feature, flux, iron & coal, filled with Skeletal monsters.

It's genned with my own personal not-gouging-my-eyes-out-from-orthoclase-encroaching-on-my-architecture mod. Details in the file description.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 26, 2009, 05:43:49 am »

Want gen settings, a pre-genned world would remove the point of alot of modding...

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 26, 2009, 02:45:23 pm »

i think i just found annother dwarf heaven. Only downside is that it isnt so tightly packed and you need atleast 12x12 location or so but there is visible magma pool, 2 BP's shitloads of obsidian (almost whole site is covered in it) sand, possibly chasm and magma pipe and hopefully some bauxite. I think ill give link to the seeds when i have acces to computer. I used one of older seeds from wiki with newest version of DF

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 27, 2009, 01:48:12 am »

It's actually the same settings as Nil's last contribution; my mod changed it, though. The gen settings should be there under Large + Full, and you'll need to download the package to get it, my mod is nowhere else.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 27, 2009, 03:26:02 am »

So uhh, what exactly should i turn up if i wanna cause more aquifers and sand?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 27, 2009, 04:55:58 am »

Both can be increased by modding, not worldgen, and seeing as I know how to do it with modding, I'll tell you this way.

Go into the RAWs. Find matgloss_stone_soil.txt, and open it. Add [AQUIFER] to a bunch more varieties of soil.

Then, gen a world. Find a site you like, and if it has no sand, add [SOIL_SAND] to a kind of soil that is prominent in the area. Voila.

There may be ways to increase aquifers via worldgen parameters, but I doubt the possibility of increasng sand.

Another, quicker way would be to deleta all soil types EXCEPT the various kinds of sand, then genning a world. Everywhere would have sand (naturally), and a chance of having an aquifer.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 27, 2009, 05:43:39 pm »

Cheers, I didn't even think of that, now I've got a world with sand literally everywhere.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 27, 2009, 08:03:11 pm »

I think aquifers are influenced by the drainage variable. I havnt tested this though.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 04, 2009, 07:47:25 am »

Any chance that if someone collected a nice large text file full of gen settings they could post up a link or something?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 04, 2009, 04:35:07 pm »

I think the Wiki could use a section for specific gen settings. "insert this for lots of volcanoes", or "for magma pools:", "this should increase the number of underground rivers" "these are the maximum variance settings for lots of variety on a small map, set them to zero if you want Glacier world". I just haven't had the courage to go through this thread yet...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 04, 2009, 06:37:32 pm »

I just made a 129x129 world with all the variances at 1600(the important ones), 200 volcanos, removed ocean regions and increased desert regions. I have 4 spots that are 4x4 or smaller with HFS/magma/sand/bottomless pit/chasm/water source so the key is smaller maps make more areas. The only problem is the goddamn Z level variance--its fucking huge with my dwarves starting like 14 z levels up the side of this tiny mountain but its a small price to pay for an awesome start area.

I now realize what you pay for magma, i revealed one area without magma and gaped at the huge variety of metal and gems then revealed a place with magma to discover i barely had any metal or gems. I might just give up on magma entirely at this rate.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: worldgen challenge
« Reply #447 on: December 05, 2009, 05:21:18 am »

Gen a large world, and as said set all variances to 1600.

Now, if you don't mind aquiffers, lower the maximum drainage (less deserts, more forests) and lower the maximum savagry (by a good 50 or so)

Now, getting the other fun stuff might be a little harder if you need at least one region tile of forest.

Set the minimum elevation to 80 and the maximum to 300 (you will still get HFS producing mountains this way).

Set minimum ocean requirement to 0 and set maxmimum subregions to max.

After this, set all minium region types to 0 (none).

If you want a brook/river set river count to 800 for both pre and post erosion.

After this its a matter of generating worlds and searching for a site that has these options. If you're extremely diligent, you should be able to find a magma source, underground water source, pit/chasm and HFS in the one 3x3 site, although as mentioned this might take a n awfull lot of genning just ot get lucky.

Also, do not raise the minimum volcanoism, it will inhibit your chances of finding flux and layers containing iron ore and fuel.

P.S. To make world generation easy, have world gen stop 2 or 3 years in.  Copy down the seed data, and explore the world.  If the world has what you need regen the world using that seed data and let it run for as many years as you like.  then of course make a backup save so that you don't get another corruption.

Done all this. Hundreds of rejections, getting nowhere. :\ Rejections seem to crop up after setting the temperature.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:25:22 am by Mipe »

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 08, 2009, 03:44:46 pm »

I tried setting the erosion thing to super high and got alot of good results but all my maps were friggin grand canyons haha. I went from 800 to 2 and got some nice locations that werent horrible to work with.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: worldgen challenge
« Reply #449 on: December 08, 2009, 04:26:36 pm »

bla
Done all this. Hundreds of rejections, getting nowhere. :\ Rejections seem to crop up after setting the temperature.
Turn off all the minimum this and that surface parameters, check if the generator has enough room to place caves, rivers, volcanoes and mountain peaks.

Also, I found that raising minimum volcanism to 50 doesnt remove all flux/magnetite/other non-ignious stuff,including bauxite.

For use or reference, or whatever you like, the param set i used for my last world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sites with both magma and non-igneous layers (the ones with tons of ores) arnt that hard to find with it.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42