Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163712 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #420 on: November 06, 2009, 03:02:22 am »

I made 14 large worlds with mildly tweaked settings and every time i found only 1-2 spots with the 4 things i needed. Why is it so hard to find a spot smaller then 6x6 with magma/sand/water and a bottomless pit?!
16x16 = 256. So asking for things in 6x6 is asking for numerous features to fall in 14% of the region tile. Both types of magma are single tile as are bottomless pits so the have the both of those close together sits you at about 4% if the tile has both types of magma. If you sit your potential mountainhome on the border of a desert the soils are basically random so with 11 lame soil types and 4 types of sand this is cut down to around 1%. If you just want any kind of water you don't cut it down all that much but if you're looking for underground water- mmm, well I'm not sure how to calculate the chance of an underground river falling in your 6x6 but the underground pool drops it to fifteen hundredths of a percent (so plus river is better than that but not a whole lot.)

Obviously placement in the middle or edge affects this a bit but the general idea of rarity should be plenty clear.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 06, 2009, 05:34:05 am »

mmmmm math so that explains it all then.

Hell i dont even know what half these settings things are haha i use the 'e' to edit the advance parameters which i assumed everyone else was talking about haha. You can edit a shitton of stuff in there but you really need to concentrate and spend alot of time, you could technically make every single area any type you wanted but you'd always face that annoying 2 magma limit per square which messes it all up.

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 08, 2009, 06:17:18 pm »

I have a nice site for everyone.

It has: A (small) brook
          Magma
          sand, clay etc
          huge amounts of flux
          lots of hematite and other ores (no coal, however)
          plenty of trees.
   try searching for magma pool and pipe, flux and a river. it should be the only result.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 08, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »

mmmmm math so that explains it all then.

Hell i dont even know what half these settings things are haha i use the 'e' to edit the advance parameters which i assumed everyone else was talking about haha. You can edit a shitton of stuff in there but you really need to concentrate and spend alot of time, you could technically make every single area any type you wanted but you'd always face that annoying 2 magma limit per square which messes it all up.
Well like we heard if you erode the mountain tiles you can get some of the features to cluster.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 08, 2009, 07:58:05 pm »

What size is it?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 08, 2009, 11:48:37 pm »

What size is it?

6 x 6 i think.. Ill have to check later. I'll upload some pictures of the location too.
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

theRoastmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
worldgen challenge
« Reply #426 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:39 am »

I've tried for hours and hours to gen this site using my crude, inadequate understanding of worldgen parameters, finally got lucky and found a suitable site, only to have the save become corrupt and unusable.
(running mayday's 40d16 package, if that makes a difference)
The challenge-

3x3 embark with
joyous wilds
heavily forested
magma pool
sedimentary flux layer(coal/magnetite)
nonevaporating water(so I can turn off weather and temp and still have water for injured dwarves)
all neighbors
if possible, any other fun but non-CPU intensive features

if anyone can rig this up, I will happily name my first-born child after you.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Re: worldgen challenge
« Reply #427 on: November 13, 2009, 12:35:50 am »

I've tried for hours and hours to gen this site using my crude, inadequate understanding of worldgen parameters, finally got lucky and found a suitable site, only to have the save become corrupt and unusable.
The challenge-

3x3 embark with
joyous wilds
heavily forested
magma pool
nonevaporating water(so I can turn off weather and temp and still have water for injured dwarves)
all neighbors

As it is, such sites are not rare for 129*129 maps with all variation parameters set to 1600.
Finis sanctificat media.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 13, 2009, 01:16:08 am »

The challenge-

3x3 embark with
joyous wilds
heavily forested
magma pool
all neighbors

Gen a large world, and as said set all variances to 1600.

Now, if you don't mind aquiffers, lower the maximum drainage (less deserts, more forests) and lower the maximum savagry (by a good 50 or so)

Now, getting the other fun stuff might be a little harder if you need at least one region tile of forest.

Set the minimum elevation to 80 and the maximum to 300 (you will still get HFS producing mountains this way).

Set minimum ocean requirement to 0 and set maxmimum subregions to max.

After this, set all minium region types to 0 (none).

If you want a brook/river set river count to 800 for both pre and post erosion.

After this its a matter of generating worlds and searching for a site that has these options. If you're extremely diligent, you should be able to find a magma source, underground water source, pit/chasm and HFS in the one 3x3 site, although as mentioned this might take a n awfull lot of genning just ot get lucky.

Also, do not raise the minimum volcanoism, it will inhibit your chances of finding flux and layers containing iron ore and fuel.

P.S. To make world generation easy, have world gen stop 2 or 3 years in.  Copy down the seed data, and explore the world.  If the world has what you need regen the world using that seed data and let it run for as many years as you like.  then of course make a backup save so that you don't get another corruption.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:18:06 am by Kardos »

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 13, 2009, 01:24:28 am »

The challenge-

3x3 embark with
joyous wilds
heavily forested
magma pool
all neighbors

Gen a large world, and as said set all variances to 1600.

Now, if you don't mind aquiffers, lower the maximum drainage (less deserts, more forests) and lower the maximum savagry (by a good 50 or so)

Now, getting the other fun stuff might be a little harder if you need at least one region tile of forest.

Set the minimum elevation to 80 and the maximum to 300 (you will still get HFS producing mountains this way).

Set minimum ocean requirement to 0 and set maxmimum subregions to max.

After this, set all minium region types to 0 (none).

If you want a brook/river set river count to 800 for both pre and post erosion.

After this its a matter of generating worlds and searching for a site that has these options. If you're extremely diligent, you should be able to find a magma source, underground water source, pit/chasm and HFS in the one 3x3 site, although as mentioned this might take a n awfull lot of genning just ot get lucky.

Also, do not raise the minimum volcanoism, it will inhibit your chances of finding flux and layers containing iron ore and fuel.

P.S. To make world generation easy, have world gen stop 2 or 3 years in.  Copy down the seed data, and explore the world.  If the world has what you need regen the world using that seed data and let it run for as many years as you like.  then of course make a backup save so that you don't get another corruption.

Bingo.

This man spaketh the truth. That outlines most of my worldgens, raising the drainage reduces swamps and aquafers and creates more dense forest.

Don't raise volcanoism, raise volcanic variance. Gen more rivers, alot more of them, get rid of oceans, get rid of extreme peaks, ect, ect.

theRoastmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 13, 2009, 09:01:47 pm »

is there any downside to not letting the history run? My current fortress I only had run to 40% beasts, year 80, and its slow as heck.. I'm trying to pin down whats going on. Basically, usually I get decent FPS until 80 dwarves or so, now I'm getting 20fps with 36 dwarves on a flat map with no running water, few animals, etc. It seems like its constantly using the hard drive for some reason, but I've closed down every non-system process? Any ideas?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 13, 2009, 09:40:08 pm »

is there any downside to not letting the history run?
Less outlying settlements per civ =less variety site-based resources to pick on embark/from caravan, like iron ores and flux and bauxite. And sweet cobaltite. ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:33 am »

but the sites with the best embark zones, always have the worst problems with civilizations wiping each other out, since there isn't a good buffer zone between the civs. The stupid elves and goblins always die on my world gen since they are always in conflict with the humies and dorfs.

For this, you could probably try regenning the world with a different history seed and hope that the wars are less destructive - history seed manipulation has worked for me in the past.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 17, 2009, 07:18:36 am »

For the best probability of surviving of the each-hostile civs you're have to gen a larger world with the same number of civs, so they have more time to grow up and conquer more territory before meet (meat  ;D) others.
Finis sanctificat media.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 21, 2009, 07:05:51 pm »

This is might be the best site I've ever rolled. 

It's a 4x4, untamed wilds, with
-magma vent
-underground river that drains into a pit
-HFS
-white and black sand
-marble (flux)
-two tiles with sedimentary layers (rock salt and siltstone)
-plenty of above-ground vegetation

So far I haven't seen any interesting animals (edit: there are giant eagles) but have gathered whip vines.  The best part about this site, however, is that a single 4-6 level plateau is neatly boxed in by the embark area.  With 4x4 the top level meets the sides of the map briefly in two spots; if you enlarge it to 5x5 it fits like someone framed it in a picture.  It's the perfect spot for an imposing tower or castle.

Alternatively, you can shift the embark east one tile and trade in one of the sedimentary layers for a chasm.   But the topography isn't as awesome and the chasm seems to be empty, so in my opinion it's not as good a site.

Spoiler: Worldgen Settings (click to show/hide)

Search for underground river/magma vent/flux/other features
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:11:06 am by nil »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42