Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163724 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #405 on: November 02, 2009, 09:18:55 am »

Its up to you as far as what method you use.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:23 pm »

Is it possible to change anything in the worldgen so that more obsidian will be availble? I plan on building a pyramid of obsidian in a lake of lava, but my plans are foiled since no locations I try seem to have any large amounts of obsidian availble. Not even the ones which actually say "obsidian" on the embark screen.

Also, is there a working reveal-cheat/util which does not screw up your game? (magma buildings etc)

edit: might be the wrong place to ask this, but would it be possible to replace Andesite and Rhyolite with MORE obsidian? More often than not those two types of stones are the ones showing up around volcanos I want to use :/
There are a few ways to achieve this effect with the raws. You could edit the andesite and rhyolite entries in stone matgloss or whatever file it is they show up in so that they have the same properties as obsidian. You could remove them and duplicate the obsidian entries but changing the computer name of the rock to obsidian 1, obsidian 2, etc. With the display name the same you would just see three different obsidian entries in the lists or rocks.

If having "different" obsidian is undesirable simple deleting andesite and rhyolite before world gen would make all of the other rocks relatively more abundant, and if there's no volcano type rock available other than obsidian you'd get it 100%.
Personally I can handle just mixing water and magma to make however much obsidian I need for things once I've got a fort ready for megaprojects.

As for revealing it's best to save after embark and just duplicate your region folder so you can ugly-up the copy finding things.

I was wondering,  has anyone had any success creating a map with no civilizations where you can build a fort?    I'm trying to do it but keep getting the "unable to place controllable civilization" error.     
You need to go edit your world gen parameters to turn off that pesky "require playable civ" entry.

Also, is there a working reveal-cheat/util which does not screw up your game? (magma buildings etc)

Actually yes, although difficult.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope I made any sense.
Finding that address for underground water enabling tower cap growth is the tricky part.

Actually yes, although difficult.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope I made any sense.

Actually, there is a better route, but it requires that you download Visual Fortress which is a 3D visualizer. Do the same designate the whole bottom layer thing, load VF and have it load up your fort, make sure the reveal tiles square is checked. Then use the slice tool to find your magma. This will never mess with your game as all it does is take a snapshot of each tile.

While some stones (and sometimes soil) are difficult to tell apart due to having the same or nearly the same color, you can get a general idea of whats there. What it won't tell you is exactly what you are looking at, for example jet, magnetite, and mica look the same. However, correlating viens that are exposed at the surface with ones that you see in VF can help.

Of course though, you can always save the game, use reveal, look around, use task manager to force the game closed and then reload the game. Just don't save it after you have done reveal. I always do that when I want a detailed look and it works just fine.
Closing without saving corrupts the save file.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #407 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:56 pm »

That is no longer true.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 02, 2009, 11:01:41 pm »

That is no longer true.
Ah, when did it change because I've had some corrupted ones in 40d and it hasn't happened without me doing that.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 02, 2009, 11:25:26 pm »

That is no longer true.
Ah, when did it change because I've had some corrupted ones in 40d and it hasn't happened without me doing that.

I've done it tons of times without issues. If you close it WHILE it is saving, that could certainly cause problems.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 04, 2009, 04:26:48 am »

Ugh so many choices! i'm looking for a world with lots of sand/rivers/magma/HFS/chasms/BP's but i'm having a hard time tweaking the parameters without going over and creating an impossible world. I dont want high peaks and i dont want oceans, i've seen some crazy maps with exacting requirements being met is there one for what i'm looking for?

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 04, 2009, 09:19:12 am »

Ugh so many choices! i'm looking for a world with lots of sand/rivers/magma/HFS/chasms/BP's but i'm having a hard time tweaking the parameters without going over and creating an impossible world. I dont want high peaks and i dont want oceans, i've seen some crazy maps with exacting requirements being met is there one for what i'm looking for?

I'm guessing it must be really hot (for the abundance of sand) and with loads of mountains. (for the HFS, magma ...)
I have no idea how would you do more rivers.

I think I have that parameter somewhere, though I don't think it. Maybe someone else can provide that stuff.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 04, 2009, 02:09:40 pm »

I made 14 large worlds with mildly tweaked settings and every time i found only 1-2 spots with the 4 things i needed. Why is it so hard to find a spot smaller then 6x6 with magma/sand/water and a bottomless pit?!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 04, 2009, 02:23:40 pm »

I made 14 large worlds with mildly tweaked settings and every time i found only 1-2 spots with the 4 things i needed. Why is it so hard to find a spot smaller then 6x6 with magma/sand/water and a bottomless pit?!
Hey, i've found money on the ground just twice in my life. Why so rare?
Finis sanctificat media.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 04, 2009, 06:15:46 pm »

I've found that setting elevation variance to maximum and increasing the erosion cycle and starting riv a bit will create alot of worn down mountain tiles, where all of the mountain features are crammed into this tiny, eroded excuse for a mountain with all the features in this 2x3 site.

Getting a site like that with magma and ideal rock layers is still a crap shoot though.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 05, 2009, 08:44:21 am »

Getting a site like that with magma and ideal rock layers is still a crap shoot though.

Well, increasing Volcanity should help with that. I once got a volcano on almost every mountain tile once when fiddling around.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 05, 2009, 10:12:13 am »

Well, increasing Volcanity should help with that. I once got a volcano on almost every mountain tile once when fiddling around.

Maxing out volcanic variance to 1600 and 1600 helps. Increasing volcanoism(?) causes all the rock layers to be the crappy volcanic type that doesn't have good metals. You have to shoot for sedimentary layers (especially the flux types) with magma, which is always a crap shoot.

Increasing the river start points to extremely high levels is great because almost every tile will have atleast a brook running through it.

So it almost always takes endless experimentation to get the perfect world. I've come close a few times, but the sites with the best embark zones, always have the worst problems with civilizations wiping each other out, since there isn't a good buffer zone between the civs. The stupid elves and goblins always die on my world gen since they are always in conflict with the humies and dorfs.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 05, 2009, 03:13:55 pm »

I've made a pretty decent world recently by reducing wetland/hills/grassland regions to 3-4 and increasing mountain/desert/forest regions.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 05, 2009, 04:51:21 pm »

I've made a pretty decent world recently by reducing wetland/hills/grassland regions to 3-4 and increasing mountain/desert/forest regions.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. There are no options to tell the DF world generator to specifically produce certain biomes, as that's not how the generator works. To create more mountains, you have to change the elevation parameters, deserts require low rainfall (and some other stuff), etc.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 05, 2009, 06:08:48 pm »

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. There are no options to tell the DF world generator to specifically produce certain biomes,
Worldpainter... ::) Admittedly you can't directly set biome, but you can set all that's needed
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42