Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163757 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #375 on: September 24, 2009, 02:12:08 am »

Ah.. Is that it.. Cool, thanks for the clarification.
I will be expecting goblins then as well. I was just planning to try and piss of the damblock 3 elves, for lack of goblins.
This site rocks ! It even gives me decent fps. (45FPS, with temperature AND weather turned on, quite good for my rig, with all those features on the map)
8-legged horror has killed most kobold thieves, and all traders. The diplomat survived. At least the way in, still have to see him get out safe. Stupid dwarven traders embark near the chasm haha. about 4 pages of skeletal gremlins, antman, ratman, trolls. I should catch the 8-legged horror. I modded GCS to live over a hundred years, so I will have silk aplenty.
remarkably, my 7 dwarves still live, despite the skeletal giant eagle circling the map, and have dug in.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:16:04 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 29, 2009, 04:55:36 pm »

I genned a very nice, and EVIL world:

Created in DF v0.28.181.40d.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I found a decent embark spot on it as well:
It has sand, magma pipe, no aquifer, chasm, UG pool, brook, trees.. HFS..
9x3, a bit odd sized, but it allows for selective removal of features if it's too hard on FPS.
Note, all 3 of it's biomes are on terrifying grounds  ;D

Didn't do any spectacular modding, except making dragons size 80, and upping goblin damblock to 3, as well as elves' damblock, idem. Oh. And make GCS feel comfy in UG water biomes as well as chasm biome.
Except maybe, that I meddled with the ores, to make some a bit more common. Nothing major, but here's the matgloss_stone_mineral.txt:

Have fun exploring the huge evil mountains for good embark sites. If you end up genning something completely different, I can provide more slightly altered raw files, if nescessary.  ;)

EDIT:
EDIT2: one downside, I found out there are no goblins. At least, they have a red dotted line next to their name on the embark screen, no matter where I am on the map. Well. The undead will do I guess.

I liked the sound of this quite a bit, but my world didn't turn out the same. Wonder if it's because I'm on a mac...

Edit: Although it looks like this might not matter, because I just found an embark site that is Terrifying, with no aquifer, an underground river, a magma pipe, a chasm, lots of trees, and HFS...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:22:45 pm by ErrorJustin »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 30, 2009, 12:34:57 am »

I don't think a mac should generate a different world with the same seed.. Not sure though.

Here's the creatures I altered in my creature_standard.txt (sorry, full file to copy paste is too long to post)
and my edited matgloss_stone_soil (less aquifers)

Also, in the entity_default.txt, I changed [MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000] to [MAX_POP_NUMBER:15000] for the EVIL entity
That should cover all modding I did that could effect worldgen

EDIT: Oh, and btw.. The goblins have indeed arrived with nasty ambushes. Their civ is called 'The Joyous Evil' . How very fitting to this map.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:50:07 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 30, 2009, 01:54:30 am »

Screwing with the raws is pretty notorious for altering RNG behaviour, actually, so that's more likely.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jsnlxndrlv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 05, 2009, 05:32:22 pm »

This is one of my favorite threads on the forums, so I'm posting this here to make finding it in the future easier.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 05, 2009, 05:46:43 pm »

I think that's what bookmarks were designed for.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jsnlxndrlv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 05, 2009, 06:39:19 pm »

Yes, but bookmarks don't come with me when I move from one computer to another.

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 05, 2009, 07:06:48 pm »

bla

They can: Delicious or Xmarks.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 05, 2009, 09:23:11 pm »

True. I believe you can have the forum notify you of replies to a given topic, though... but you can only do that when you post. Drat.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2009, 09:24:57 pm »

If you have some sort of portable disk drive then you should be able to store addresses on that...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Orris

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you surprised when I touch the dwarf inside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 06, 2009, 03:24:06 pm »

I figured out how to make a world of entire deserts.

The trick is, drainage changes a lot.  High drainage creates hills I think, low drainage creates flat area.  If I remember correctly, it may be the other way around.  I don't know why.  It might have to do with erosion.

After that just make rain low and temperature high.

Then I turned savagery up high and made 90% of the map evil.  I have yet to have a civilization survive for 400 years.  Hehehe.  Methinks I should tone it down a wee bit.

woa, all that's left is for someone to mod the game to add spice melange to the sand, and blamo, DWARVES OF DUNE

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 06, 2009, 04:09:14 pm »

sa'es are compatible all the way back to the first 3d version, I belie'e. Next 'ersion is the next save-breaker, one reason it's taking long is he's trying to cram in a lot of features that do that so it'll be a while before sa'es break again, so you can keep worlding.

Wait, so at first I was like "well, his V key must be broken." Then I was like, wait, do you not believe in the letter V but get forgetful sometimes?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:52:06 pm by Jude »
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #387 on: October 10, 2009, 02:31:35 am »

Would there happen to be a recipe for a map with nice long underground rivers (not the dinky little, "barely one tile long" ones I've been getting), alongside bottomless pits and magma pipes. I'm trying to find a nice map for the underworld challenge. (where you must flood the lowest z level with magma, as well as hallow out 3 z layers alongside the underground river and turn that z-level into a towercap forest. Beneath that EVERYTHING is hallowed out except for huge pillars you build your buildings around/onto.)

Any suggestions or seeds anybody has for a map that would help with this?

I figured out how to make a world of entire deserts.

The trick is, drainage changes a lot.  High drainage creates hills I think, low drainage creates flat area.  If I remember correctly, it may be the other way around.  I don't know why.  It might have to do with erosion.

After that just make rain low and temperature high.

Then I turned savagery up high and made 90% of the map evil.  I have yet to have a civilization survive for 400 years.  Hehehe.  Methinks I should tone it down a wee bit.

woa, all that's left is for someone to mod the game to add spice melange to the sand, and blamo, DWARVES OF DUNE

Also tunneling animals... that are really really really long.
I want a Dwarves of Dune mod so badly now...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:35:27 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #388 on: October 13, 2009, 12:16:14 pm »

Mountain Features can't be controlled with worldgen... yet.

Your best bet is to make a map with as many mountain edges as possible.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 13, 2009, 04:37:18 pm »

Mountain Features can't be controlled with worldgen... yet.
That should be just untrue...see: dwarfheaven, 'nilla dwarfhea'en...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42