Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163775 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #330 on: July 25, 2009, 06:15:02 pm »

How exactly do you get the 20+ z-level cliffs? I haven't seen any that big. Not counting the wall of a chasm.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2009, 11:47:31 pm »

Ok, getting flux, good ores, and a magma pipe all right next to each other can be a real pain because this only happens when you have very low volcanism biomes in a high volcanism region tile- which happens when a region tile next to it is low volcanism.

For using pure world gen your best chance of finding this is on smaller maps because variance scales with map size. On large worlds you probably won't see any of that. Meshes influence how much of whatever values you will see but they don't force world gen to do anything outside of what the other parameters are already doing.
By setting minimum volcanoes high you're telling world gen to discard maps with whatever amount of low volcanism region tiles which means goodbye a lot of ore and flux.

If you step past that a bit you will get the maximum number of potential sites by painting a checkerboard of volcanism (or avoiding carpel tunnel by using dwarf heightmap or any other programs that do that sort of thing for you.)

Any mountain region tile is going to have one of each of the underground features and if that region is high volcanism you'll get both magma features in it as well so also doing a checkerboard of mountains would theoretically get you the most of that as well but unfortunately mountains actually control biomes so on medium or higher maps you're going to exceed the max easily by doing that.

I haven't been able to visualize a very optimal arrangement of mountains for bruteforce world gens.

As for killing off dwarves your best bet is to modify the raws during world gen. Just set dwarven civs to have a max site pop of 1 and they'll lose every fight evar.
Likewise you can eliminate a whole lot of world gen stress by modding metals, flux, and bauxite to show up in igneous rock.

-

20 zlevel cliffs are very high variance, most likely on a small map so you get low elevation and high even closer together.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 28, 2009, 12:29:49 am »

How exactly do you get the 20+ z-level cliffs? I haven't seen any that big. Not counting the wall of a chasm.

Turn erode extreme cliffs off, increase mountain peak number, mess with the height variables. The first two can get the desired effect, i sugest only messing with the third if you know what you're doing.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 29, 2009, 06:22:00 am »

*To be honest, this thread needs to be bumped. Would hate to see a good thread die.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 29, 2009, 09:16:40 am »

Likewise you can eliminate a whole lot of world gen stress by modding metals, flux, and bauxite to show up in igneous rock.

Actually, why look for flux at all. Mod in a plant... lets call it Cave Lime.
Then add a reaction which uses Cave Lime and non-economic stone to create... LIMESTONE! :D

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2009, 06:56:04 pm »

Actually, why look for flux at all. Mod in a plant... lets call it Cave Lime.
Then add a reaction which uses Cave Lime and non-economic stone to create... LIMESTONE! :D
To maintain some degree of scarcity- we still want to have to find things in the rock and so forth- finding a needle in a haystack is a lot more fun than finding a needle in a pile of needles (err, well I guess I should have gone with diamond in the rough,) but we really don't want to have to search a haystack without any needles in it.

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2009, 11:47:50 am »

Here's mine. It's a combination of ideas from others in this thread and my own tweaking; basically, the idea is to generate fort sites that have everything -- trees, magma, sand, water, flux, adamantine, evil good AND neutral biomes, etc. After a lot of tweaking, I've generated about ten worlds with this template. Every map had a site that was at least useable, if not perfect (i.e., no sand, or the adamantine and volcano were too far apart, etc.), and i've found a couple that were excellent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Savagery is restricted to a middle range so that you'll primarily get haunted/wilderness/mirthful biomes (largely because I had problems with giant skeletal eagle infestations in the first few good locations I generated). Temperature is restricted to (mostly) temperate, with some cold edges. Megabeast levels are set high because I want megabeast attacks, so the history will only run 50 or so years.

One thing about this set is that it walks very close to a few borders -- sometimes you'll get a "too many subregions' rejection even though I have that set to the maximum of 5000, sometimes you'll get an error because there aren't enough squares left to make as many evil/good squares as desired, sometimes there won't be enough room to place civilizations. But you shouldn't get more than one or two rejections.

I've put this in my world_gen document, and tried running it, it just rejects every world after a second or so. What am I doing wrong, where do I need to put it?

Also,
Cooked up an interesting world with this here:
Most noteworthy points:
-Medium size,
-Lots of smaller mountain regions, lots of places to build a mountain-fort,
-Some small oceans,
-Many rivers,
-Many caves,
-High volcanism, many volcanoes, but still a small number of lower volcanism areas,
-Lots of evil, moderate amouths of good and few neutral areas,
-Plenty of towns for your adventurers to slaughter trade with.
-Barren, low rainfall, few trees.

Tell me what you guys think ;)

EDIT: on another note, is there any way to prevent my magma pits and volcano craters from sticking around the edges of my terrain? Its realy reducing the number of suitable fortress locations as my comp cant handle areas big enough to encompass both the magma pit and other interesting stuff.

I tried this one, and got a world after 39 rejections... oh wait, never mind, it's just made DF crash.

What is wrong with this?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:05:12 pm by NightWatchman »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 04, 2009, 01:08:45 pm »

I tried this one, and got a world after 39 rejections... oh wait, never mind, it's just made DF crash.

What is wrong with this?

I have never had that world crash oin me, however it does takea  REALLY long time to generate as it is a large world (256x256) that is quite broekn up and complex.  The upsiode tpo this is that any world generated is likely to have a spot to suit your needs.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 04, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »

What is wrong with this?
I found out after posting that any map that has more then 400 caves sometimes will, and sometimes wont crash. Ill post my newer ones for you, made them for 257x257, 129x129 and 65x65. They have less caves, and dotn reject as often.

257x257:

129x129

65x65

If you want the worlds to be less complex, decrease variation and mesh sizes.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2009, 02:46:53 pm »

What is wrong with this?
I found out after posting that any map that has more then 400 caves sometimes will, and sometimes wont crash. Ill post my newer ones for you, made them for 257x257, 129x129 and 65x65. They have less caves, and dotn reject as often.

257x257:

129x129

65x65

If you want the worlds to be less complex, decrease variation and mesh sizes.

Trying it, seems to work fine, I'm currently giving the 129 one a go. Seems to be working, we've got to genning lakes...

Jostain the Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 06, 2009, 12:24:17 pm »

Hi.
Im looking for a world configuration that creates large lakes. What I Need is a map that contains a small island that you can inhabit as a whole (I.e 8 to 10 squares at the most).
I need a setting that gives the highest possible chance of generating that. any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:58:41 pm by Jostain the Green »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 13, 2009, 12:57:51 pm »

No, even if you go into world painter and make single region tiles poke out of the ocean you'll have virtually no control over how large the land area is on each of them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 20, 2009, 03:21:10 am »

now where did I put OCEANCLIFF...mind, some sites are a pain, you get started on the far side of a bay from the magma, and that 50-Z cliff is staring you in the face. It's somewhere in my posts, I think. :-? Should be in this thread e'en.
But yeah, turn off erosion or turn the cycle count down, and turn off "erode extreme cliffs"- this should get you a few good ones. More desired, start doing crazy things with elevation in worldpainter- just remember that you need a place for dwarfs to be elsewhere too.

Bump, etc.

edit: OCEANCLIFF is here. ...*puts in sig*
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 03:30:03 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I dream of evil
« Reply #343 on: August 22, 2009, 04:04:03 pm »

So I've been looking through and trying various worldgens with mixed results, but still haven't gotten what I'm looking for.

I want to make a world that contains this in at least one area I can embark into:

- magma pipe
 - Goblin civ
 - chasm or  pit
 - HFS
 - underground river or lake
 - terrifying ideally, haunted/sinister acceptable
 - trees, ideally; not necessary

If anyone's genned a world with these, or has a world gen that will be more likely to produce one of these setups, please post them here.
The silver is responsible for this How?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
World's smallest ocean ever
« Reply #344 on: September 03, 2009, 04:58:57 am »

Upd. F*ck, not the smallest.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:00:34 am by Grax »
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42