Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163792 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2009, 04:47:23 am »

I think that I'll need procedurally generated fauna/entities before I can enjoy random worldgen- which won't appear in the next release, maybe down the line soon after, though.  I figured out how to make a nice desert world with a few oases of civilization and all that, but without deserts full of giant sand mollusks and insect monstrosities and the like, it's just not much fun.
Well, you technically don't need Toady to do that for you. Since the creatures are all in our hands any of us could write a program to give you some randomized raws with whatever amount of procedural generation we're smart enough to program.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 27, 2009, 11:14:50 am »

can anyone help me get a map with lots of evil places with volcanos or at least magma?
Worldpainter makes it easy to get entire map having magma. Evil, not so easy, see what others say.
I dont even understand how to use wroldpainter.
You aren't missing anything. Useless like 2 pages of rope reed, if not even more.
It's wierd, you need this expensive peripheral thing for you computer called a mouse n_n
What? Mice? In Dwarf Fortress? Madness...

Well, news to me. Im gonna go check out world builder.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 28, 2009, 10:17:41 pm »

I wrote a little how-to post a bit back.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2009, 02:24:54 am »

Cooked up an interesting world with this here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Most noteworthy points:
-Medium size,
-Lots of smaller mountain regions, lots of places to build a mountain-fort,
-Some small oceans,
-Many rivers,
-Many caves,
-High volcanism, many volcanoes, but still a small number of lower volcanism areas,
-Lots of evil, moderate amouths of good and few neutral areas,
-Plenty of towns for your adventurers to slaughter trade with.
-Barren, low rainfall, few trees.

Tell me what you guys think ;)

EDIT: on another note, is there any way to prevent my magma pits and volcano craters from sticking around the edges of my terrain? Its realy reducing the number of suitable fortress locations as my comp cant handle areas big enough to encompass both the magma pit and other interesting stuff.

For some strange reason, this world recipie keeps crashing DF when it's finalizing the worldgen. It's happened to me twice, I'll try it a third time, but it's frustrating, since this seems like exactly what I want - enough volcanism to have a high chance of having the magma near all the other fun things.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 02, 2009, 02:07:49 am »

If you just want magma on every tile min volcanism to 100 and make sure the rejects about volcanism are set to 0s (like in basically every recipe posted here.)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2009, 02:31:40 am »

Yeah, then watch your world geology take a nosedive and every single non-igneous layer (probably?) disappear entirely. Might screw some other things up, too, but I don't know that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2009, 02:52:55 am »

Well I have a bit of a request. Any kind of world at all, where any dwarf civ is at war with any human civ. I guess that would be real easy? And Im too lazy to go through the legends screen to find out when a particular civ was at war with some other civ. Thanks in advance.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:31 am »

For some strange reason, this world recipie keeps crashing DF when it's finalizing the worldgen. It's happened to me twice, I'll try it a third time, but it's frustrating, since this seems like exactly what I want - enough volcanism to have a high chance of having the magma near all the other fun things.
Whilst finalising? Never heard of that before, though I have heard that a high number of caves can cause crashes somwhere along worldgen. You might want to reduce both the cave minimi to 200.

If that doesnt work, maybe this one would
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:26 am »

Yeah, then watch your world geology take a nosedive and every single non-igneous layer (probably?) disappear entirely. Might screw some other things up, too, but I don't know that.
Mostly it just makes the sedementary and metamorphic rock layers go bye bye. If you don't have a computer than can generate lots of worlds and you want some place with a magma pipe, sand, and some interesting features you can probably tolerate that.

Now, if you're fine mucking around in the raws you could make all the flux and metals igneous and probably not be too upset about it since you made a world of volcanoes every dozen tiles or so anyway.

Personally I took all those clay and loam layers out of the soil matgloss because the glassmaker immigrants were always depressing when I had no sand. I guess I probably should have tried to make some vein or cluster in igneous rock that counted as sand instead but I didn't feel like debugging anything and was pretty sure I wouldn't one-shot something like that (if it could work at all...)

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2009, 07:06:03 am »

For my Viking Village challenge (see thread in the Dwarf Mode board) I'm looking for a very specific map. Being not very familiar with the parameter design mode, could anyone help me in finding a map with the following requirements:

Spoiler: Map Requirements (click to show/hide)

and/or tips on which parameters should be edited in what way to increase chances of finding such a map? Much obliged.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2009, 03:37:38 pm »

You weren't able to find that in the first map you generated?

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2009, 03:40:30 pm »

If I would I wouldn't be posting a request here. My maps had cold areas with few trees or freezing areas.

But nevermind, someone already got me one.

MCD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »

I've found these parameters produce a lot of interesting locations, including lots of tropical ones:

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2009, 04:41:30 pm »

So mostly it's a striped strip?

MCD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2009, 04:55:42 pm »

Not really striped, no. It is a strip though, of a large enough vertical size to produce tropical areas, but thin enough that the resulting file isn't huge or take forever to generate.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42