Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163803 times)

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2009, 06:42:43 pm »

Hi!

Just to make sure. You did put maximum number of Regions to its max value (5,000 I think, right?

Actually, if they are a goblin civ, then that is just snatched population growing up. However, such cases are called "Dark Goblin Fortress" even if there are no goblins left.

The other way around, humans or dwarves conquering dark fortress will yield "Dark Human Fortress" or "Dark Dwarven Fortress" respectively. The fortresses are then part of their parent civilization and if you look at the civ selection option on the embark screen, you will see blue fortress symbols for them if you choose the same parent civ.

Deathworks

Actually if you go and modify the worldgen file directly you can set it as high as you want, I regularly set my to 10,00 because I find I'm often going over the max by 100 or so.

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2009, 10:37:43 pm »

Sorry for the double post.

Well I've just made a weird discovery.

I've always assumed that to produce deserts you needed moderate temperature, though they do appear uncommonly in freezing or scorching areas, that you needed high drainage, and little rain. Well that's what I've gotten from the wiki anyway.

But I've been running extensive tests in the world editor, and apparently temperature doesn't have a whole lot of influence. What does influence the appearance of deserts is the rain, and drainage levels. As suspected you are required to have low rain levels but unexpectedly you are also required to have low drainage levels. Which is odd considering that sand is a high drainage material. If you have a high drainage level you will produce many levels of sand, peat, loam, but everything else being the same the biome will be a badlands. If you have a low drainage level you will only have 1 level of sand, but the biome will be a desert. I haven't yet tested whether elevation matters much, I know you can't have high elevation because that become mountains, but I'm unsure whether low elevations produce deserts. Medium elevation areas are confirmed to produce deserts.

Using the below worldgen stats I've been able to reproduce desert worlds several times, with all the varieties of sand represented with no loam, clay, sandy clay, or sandy loam. Which was just unprecedented according my past attempted, badlands were a tossup between sand, loam, or clay.

Drainage- 0-10
Rain - 0-0
temp- 25-30

Also interesting it seems that surface water freezes somewhere between 25-35. Using a temp range of 25-30, or 35, can produce almost all the major biomes with the upside that you have your rivers freeze during winter and fall/spring.

Unfortunately I've yet to be able to produce a mountain range that extends from north to south, or west to east, despite having the appropriate elevation variance set to 0. That doesn't include ranges that border the borders of the map, ranges extending the entire map being on the border being fairly easy to produce. Also even with an elevation variance of 1600 I get only 1 maybe 2 mountain ranges that extend south or north (joining up to a massive range that covers either the south or north).

I'm thinking that to make many thin ranges I'm going to have to manually edit the elevation variance to a level of 2000 or higher. Why would I want to do that? The same reason I dislike oceans, generally the massive amount of space in the center of a range is useless for embarking - though that's a personal preference, I prefer non mountainous areas or areas where mountains meet another biome.

Another interesting fact, if the lowest elevation is set above 100 you will have very very few oceans/seas and little to no aquifers.

EDIT:

I've re-run the tests with 0-0 and 100-100 drainage. Again 0-0 had 100% sand on the top layer, while 100-100 only had occasional sand, with the majority being undesirable things like peat. Also with 0-0 there was only 1 layer of soil while 100-100 had 2-4 layers with the majority falling in clusters of 1-2 or 3-4.

I also ran some tests with 100 rainfall and suddenly the drainage didn't seem to make much difference. Suddenly all the results were much more similar to the 100 drainage runs with 0 rainfall. The one thing I was able to clearly see a difference in was the river sizes. With 0 rain rivers always stayed small no matter how many rivers joined together, with 100 rain the rivers relatively quickly developed into major rivers.

In all of this rivers only seemed to influence the appearance of aquifers, not the soil type. I'd often find peat halfway across the map from the closest river while there was sand right on the river and vice versa.

Also I can't seem to get small strings of mountains no matter what. I can set the mountain peaks to 0, 300, elevation range from 400-4000. The closest thing I can see is that he has the worldgen set to blob mountains into ranges in a bloby fashion. I'm not entirely sure what that means either, but not once in 20+ generations did I get seperate ranges, they all joined up at a pole. The best strategy I've run into to maximize mountain-other surface is to set everything to 1600x1600.

If you want to see what a 10x6000 elevation range looks like, download this. I would have loaded it to imageshack but I can't get it beneath 3mb with paint.

Does anyone know how to batch generate worlds using custom settings? The wiki has a command for batch making using generic setting (I think) but I have no idea how to change that to using my template no. 1 settings. I'm interested because I know some of this is possible, because for instance I've seen a hell world generated by Toady I believe that had mountains on the east and west borders with a desert in the center but I've never even got close to that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:07:04 am by Morberis »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:35 pm »

in re: ele'ation: 100 is sea le'el, you'll see in the world painter, and I think it's mentioned in the wiki on it. (Painting 99 makes it expect ocean)

If you want lots of good mountain ranges, worldpaint some lines of 400 elevation with a smoothing, >1 brush.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2009, 11:42:54 pm »

You can get smaller mountainranges if you have an high erosion count i asume.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

phalantas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 01, 2009, 02:29:52 pm »

posted this world on the wiki, it has a 6x6 spot with nearly all the features and a crapload of creatures, including cave crocodiles, a gremlin, magmamen and swallowmen.
Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:LARGE]
[SEED:2637231019]
[HISTORY_SEED:3441458273]
[NAME_SEED:936820994]
[DIM:257:257]
[END_YEAR:1050]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:300:-1]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:1:400:800:800]
[RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:100:1000:2000]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:100:1000:2000]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:50]
[OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:2]
[VOLCANO_MIN:15]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:1032:7:6]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:1032:7:6]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:4128:13:12]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:8256:9:9]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:8256:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:8256:13:12]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:8256:13:12]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:400:400]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:100]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:200]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:50]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
[RAIN_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 01, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »

I hate to sound like a noob, but after having taken a break from DF, I've forgotten how to rig a world so that theres magma in more or less every square.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2009, 06:52:04 pm »

Anyone know how to rig a world to have lots of giant cave spiders in it, i have not yet lived my dream of taming a GCS couple and breeding an entire army of elf eating arachnids.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 02, 2009, 04:41:53 am »

Is the desired evil square count the only way to influence the amount of evil zones in the world? I crank it up pretty hight and still don't get that much evil.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 02, 2009, 12:25:35 pm »

Hi!

Poco a Poco: Theoretically, that should be the volcanism settings. Set the minimum 1 below the maximum and nullify the three volcanism maxima at the very end of the list of settings (below civ numbers), and I think you should get your magma paradise.

Dakk: Sorry, no sure recipe. I can only suggest to try the standard things:

Max out the number of caves, give them a size range from 400-500.

Check the sites info of the world after genning.

I was never interested too much in the GCS, so I don't know how they fare in world generation in general. If they get killed like megabeasts, you may want to reduce the age of the world, but if they are more like animals, you may actually want to increase the world age.

Sorry, but that is all I can think of.

Solmyr: As far as I know, yes. You do get interesting results if all three values are equal, as that gives you a lot of small pickets of evil. Also beware of oceans becoming evil, thus draining away your major evil zones.

If you genned a world that looked interesting but with a faulty evil distribution, try changing the evil values just a little bit. Good/Evil seems to be among the last things defined in world gen, so the surface features would remain the same, even though you have a different distribution of evil/good.

Deathworks

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2009, 09:04:05 am »

Thanks Deathworks.

Another question. What's the best way to generate some sheer cliffs on the local level? By this I mean a completely vertical wall rather than just a steeply sloping one. I have this idea for a fortress on multiple levels with openings into the cliff wall... I suppose I could just have my dwarves dig out and flatten a rock wall.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:45 am »

Hi!

You mean '8', '9', or '*' on the cliff map :) :)

That may be more difficult than I expected. My first idea would have been to go for high variances in height (which of course results in many small subregions). However, coincidentally, I have just recently come up with a world with sheer cliffs over the ocean which has just 400;400 variance for the height:

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4489-exsmoxzuzaworld-samplesite

Anyhow, having high variances in height would probably increase the probability, I think.

You definitely want to turn off eroding cliffs.

Ah, I have an idea that might work, but I have to try this out. It depends on how well real world physics are simulated. I don't know when I will have results, so if you are impatient, you may try this out yourself:

Maximum erosion cycles.
Maximum rivers BEFORE erosion
0 - 10 rivers AFTER erosion

River erosion digs the river bed into the landscape (it looks awesome during world generation). By having more rivers before than after erosion, you tell the program to basic draw rivers, have them erode the terrain, and then cause them to become dry again. I don't know how smoothly erosion makes the sides, though.

Alternatively, you can go for 1-10 erosion cycles with the same thing about rivers. I use few erosion cycles to create waterfalls in rivers (although I usually have high height variance values as well).

Anyhow, I will have a look at this issue myself and try to find a world like that.

Deathworks

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #221 on: February 07, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »

I am planning to build a shrine to poseidon and need a very specific world. i need a portion of my starting point to be in the sea. i need magma(if possible), an enviroment that can harbour silver or gold and a bunch of trees. if someone could find this it would be GREAT.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

lackofgrace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2009, 04:52:36 pm »

is there some way to force world generation to include bottomless pits as often as magma pipes?
i would really like to have a large river ( not brook ) and chasms in the same fortress

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2009, 05:29:39 pm »

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-4489-exsmoxzuzaworld-samplesite
This looks great, but no goblins?  :'(
Who will we have to torture and go to war with?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2009, 08:15:41 pm »

is there some way to force world generation to include bottomless pits as often as magma pipes?
i would really like to have a large river ( not brook ) and chasms in the same fortress

Afraid not.  There's no way to force those to be generated more often, no.  :(
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42