Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163836 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2008, 02:37:42 pm »

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2008, 06:03:55 pm »

Hello,

Can anyone help me out?  I've been trying to generate a world which has a site near the ocean (or any body of water) with south or sideways faceing beach and fairly sheer cliffs going up a few z levels.

Code: [Select]
so it would look approximately like this:
#= land
B=beach
~= ocean

####
####
BBBBB
~~~~

The two requirements are for fresh water and magma of some sort(unless there is loads of trees)  The best would be mountains dipping right into the water.  I could forgo the beach I suppose.

AN alternative to that is to have a place that has a serious cliff face  with magma, underground, and water source (lots of water = good).

The map should only contain about 16 sq tiles give or take a few (3x5, 4X4, 2x8 or around that size).

To be honest the alternative one seems easier to find (I've found at least one such site in all my gens so far) except for the z level thing which I've not seen at all in anything I genned.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2008, 07:35:25 pm »

You mean this list right here?
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Wish I'd known about this earlier....
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2008, 07:55:39 pm »

I've been genning small worlds and whenever I pick an embark site I look at the "Civs" tab, and it has all of them..including "------" goblins...then I embark and hit "c" and there's nothing listed but my own dwarf civ. Any ideas what's going on here? And what does the list at the location chooser mean?

Oh Jesus

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2008, 10:13:53 pm »

Really great world, all evil mountains its got all the races an intresting history and a site with flux river trees and magma that is evil and kinda cliffy (I used the finder).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

from you're map, mountains are made of flux, and theres a chasm in there somewere

This is from a while back but I really want this location

I found a very similar one on a border between mountains and forest but there's no flux and probably no chasm.

Where did you find this one?

Oh Jesus

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2008, 01:30:42 am »

Is there any way to make really deep oceans with hopefully a steep coastline? (like Hawaii)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2008, 03:32:37 am »

Hello Jude!

I've been genning small worlds and whenever I pick an embark site I look at the "Civs" tab, and it has all of them..including "------" goblins...then I embark and hit "c" and there's nothing listed but my own dwarf civ. Any ideas what's going on here? And what does the list at the location chooser mean?

I am not sure what location chooser you are referring to, but the civilization thing is a misunderstanding.

'c' will only list the civilizations you have already established contact with in your current fortress. So, elves will be listed after the spring of the second year when you get their first caravan. Likewise, humans will appear after their first caravan. Kobolds (not listed when you choose the embark region) will be added when you have the first kobold thief and goblins once you have the first snatcher.

So, you need not worry about the initial empty civilization list - it will fill up eventually if your initial location list said so.

Aggiedog: Well, right of the cuff, one thing you need is a very high height variance (maybe 800 - 1200 ?). Also try increasing low altitude minimum. You should probably also go for many mountains and oceans to enforce your point and be prepared to wait through 2,000 to 10,000 rejects.

Also put volcanism variance very high (1200-1600) and have many volcanoes - they tend to raise the terrain.

Sorry, but besides of these rather general things, there is little advice I can give.

Deathworks

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2008, 04:58:12 am »

Is there any way to make really deep oceans with hopefully a steep coastline? (like Hawaii)

If you have a height map of Hawaii you could use this tool to gen a world exactly like that. The height map has to be greyscale though with white being mountain tops and black being the ocean.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2008, 05:11:56 am »

Yeah i find the main problem with islands and beaches are the fact that it's 1 or possible 2-3 squares deep. I want 40 z levels of ocean with all kinds of fish life.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2008, 03:54:33 pm »

Hello Jude!

I am not sure what location chooser you are referring to, but the civilization thing is a misunderstanding.

'c' will only list the civilizations you have already established contact with in your current fortress. So, elves will be listed after the spring of the second year when you get their first caravan. Likewise, humans will appear after their first caravan. Kobolds (not listed when you choose the embark region) will be added when you have the first kobold thief and goblins once you have the first snatcher.

So, you need not worry about the initial empty civilization list - it will fill up eventually if your initial location list said so.

ohhhh good. I was afraid of getting no sieges....I actually abandoned one fort because I thought no goblins would come, but the new location I've got is so much better that I don't care.

Oh Jesus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2008, 05:05:58 pm »

Yeah i find the main problem with islands and beaches are the fact that it's 1 or possible 2-3 squares deep. I want 40 z levels of ocean with all kinds of fish life.

Embark on a volcanic island.  The ocean level will be really low, but due to the volcano, there's land available.  I haven't embarked on one yet, but I would assume you could get a bunch of ocean that way.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2008, 08:19:51 pm »

Hello Jude!

Incidentally, I embarked on a new location (fantastic one with a river [well, brook] canyon, immense jagged mountains, and volcano) and it said all neighbors were present....but I'm in fall of the second year and no elf or human caravans, or kobold thieves or goblin snatchers at all. I'm really starting to wonder if this is a bug.

Oh Jesus

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2008, 03:04:35 am »

Hello Jude!

I suggest you stick around a little longer at that site. There have been some reports indicating that distance to the civs influences when they will actually get in contact with you.

Of course, kobolds are not guaranteed (you can only see whether there are kobolds in the site info file you can get by exporting the world map) and they sometimes go extinct on you (in my current game, that is the case).

Deathworks

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2008, 11:19:04 am »

Interesting...right now my main problem is getting all the stone hauled out of the massive tombs I've dug, to satisfy my OCD need to have a clean fort...and getting some lightweight trade goods produced for the next caravan.

Oh Jesus

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2008, 11:21:51 am »

Hi!

Interesting...right now my main problem is getting all the stone hauled out of the massive tombs I've dug, to satisfy my OCD need to have a clean fort...and getting some lightweight trade goods produced for the next caravan.

Well, stone crafts come to mind for these two problems. Just order wood or non-economic stone from the caravan and you don't have to worry about the weight at all. At least that is what I am doing (plus making lots of stone blocks for constructions).

Deathworks
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 42