Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163827 times)

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2008, 11:04:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It has lots of ore, brook, and I do believe a magma pipe "other features (HFS?)", and underground river. Also be sure to look around for the ore and gold on the surface. Also sorry for the large picture  :-\

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »

What variables should I edit if I want to have a disproportionate amount of evil areas? And precisely what range of numbers should I edit them TO? i.e. what exactly do the numbers mean?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2008, 05:44:42 pm »

Evil/Good just happens in my experience, I haven't figured out what causes it.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2008, 06:00:59 pm »

Hi!

What variables should I edit if I want to have a disproportionate amount of evil areas? And precisely what range of numbers should I edit them TO? i.e. what exactly do the numbers mean?

Somewhere in the middle (I think just after the mesh settings), there will be three settings for good and three settings for evil areas. If you want to increase either, you should increase the three settings associated with that one. In my experience, going up to 4 times the default values is safe.

Deathworks

Ogantai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2008, 06:07:04 pm »

EVIL_SQ_COUNTS, you can also reduce    GOOD_SQ_COUNTS

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2008, 09:00:04 pm »

Interesting. Which of the multiple numbers after those entries should be the ones I actually edit?

Oh Jesus

Ogantai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2008, 10:09:54 pm »

Interesting. Which of the multiple numbers after those entries should be the ones I actually edit?
All of them, the first is squares per small region, the second squares per medium region, the third squares per large region.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2008, 03:30:48 am »

Just don't set any of them to max because civs will not spawn if there isn't enough neutral ground.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2008, 05:57:33 am »

Hi!

Actually, if you do not need all civs (remember to deactivate playable civ in the parameters), you could theoretically max out the values (haven't tried it, though).

Elves can spawn in good sites and goblins can spawn in evil sites, it seems, so an extreme world should be theoretically possible.

Deathworks

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2008, 11:09:14 am »

Hi!

Okay, I had to give up on getting a proper data set for that world gen crash (when you want it to happen, it doesn't happen, of course; I am pretty sure that it is something related to too many events, but my recent attempts always suddenly stopped spawning sufficient events to break the 3 million barrier in any reasonable time).

Currently, I have experimented with SMALL worlds, and I have created a nice one I have just uploaded at the depot.

There is 1 dragon; I forgot to check the number of demons, but I suspect that there are some out there (the world is still in the Age of Myths - in the year 580); Generation was stopped in 580 (I genned it previously open-endedly, so I know that a few years later, the last human town gets destroyed); NO KOBOLDS (sorry, they somehow either got extinct or never existed there in the first place).

Races are humans, elves, dwarves, and goblins.

Special Feature: There are 2 dwarven civs. The one called "The Emancipated Lanterns" is at War with the goblins in the north. Note, however, that the goblins somehow do not reach the SW corner of the map with their influence (that corner shows only "-----" goblins, oddly enough. But that SW corner is relatively small, so most of the map can be embarked on with goblins at war.

Historian support program: The world was designed to create large subregions which should help you get interesting engravings from your dwarves. Recommended locations are the central elven forests and the conflict zone of the elves and humans. There should be plenty of legend material available.

I have not played the world yet (other than legends mode), but it is reasonable to assume that you will find humans and elves at war if you start in adventurer mode as one of either races.

The download and the map.

Generation data is included in the entry of the download; the download itself is about 6MB in size (SMALL, young world (^_^;; ).

Have fun!

Deathworks

ShirraWhitefur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2008, 01:19:43 pm »

Well, hopefully I'm not going to get clubbed for asking what might be a common question, but here we go.
  I've been looking at all this and wondering if there's any viable way to do a few things.
  (A) To actually pull up your custom world-gen profile -after- the world is made, if you didn't specifically note it down.
  (B) To pull up the world's various Seeds after you've made a second or third world, and started playing in the first.. liked it, and decided to share it.
  (C) To easily find where said 'good fortress' grounds are -after- you've started, as merely abandoning your fortress doesn't tell you where you -were- unless you know where to look already.  Which sort of is the whole point of option C.

I ask because I have a friend who's got this irritating knack for finding interesting and good sites, as well as finding them in 4x4 and 5x5 sizes, which are my prefered sizes.  He however never thinks to note things down, or screenshot his chosen embark site, and so on.  I'd love to hear some ideas, so I can pillage his worldfiles from him, dig out the information, try 'em out, and maybe put 'em up on here.

Thanks for the time.
  - Shirra

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2008, 01:31:55 pm »

Well, hopefully I'm not going to get clubbed for asking what might be a common question, but here we go.
  I've been looking at all this and wondering if there's any viable way to do a few things.
  (A) To actually pull up your custom world-gen profile -after- the world is made, if you didn't specifically note it down.
  (B) To pull up the world's various Seeds after you've made a second or third world, and started playing in the first.. liked it, and decided to share it.
  (C) To easily find where said 'good fortress' grounds are -after- you've started, as merely abandoning your fortress doesn't tell you where you -were- unless you know where to look already.  Which sort of is the whole point of option C.

Easy.

A & B: Open the world in Legends mode and ex[p]ort map and seed data.  There'll be a region-x.txt file that will have the world gen info (custom or not) with a [SEED] tag (and a [HISTORY_SEED] and a [NAME_SEED]).

C: Less easy, there used to be a little tool called...Latitudes.  Last known working with 33g.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Utilities#Latitudes

Would tell you (while choosing a location) where you were on the map.  After embark you can't really know.  Abandoning will give you the option to start a new fort and if you choose [r]eclaim, it'll instantly pop to the only fortress on the map (if there's more than one, it'll cycle, I think).  Screen caping that is generally pretty good, as it'll show white Ω instead of just an embark square.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »

Hi!

World generation data can easily be extracted without taking notes.

You can do it directly after world generation. When you have the last chance to abort and Enter will save the region, there is the option 'p' to save the map. In addition to the map bitmap, it also saves the world generation data, population lists for all sites, and ruler histories for all sites in three different text files.

Alternatively, you can do it from legends mode. If you start playing in legend mode, you have two options for getting a map saved from the main page of the legend mode: The standard one and the detailed map. If you do the standard one, you get the files described above.

To find a fort location, I suggest the following:

First, go into the data/save directory and make a copy of the world directory your fortress is in (you can give that copy any name you like or leave it as "copy of xxx"). Then name of the world directory is shown when you start or continue a game and select a world. The menu there offers you all worlds in the format "Internal World Name: Directory Name".

Then, start DF and abandon one of the two versions of the fortress (this is why I suggest you make a copy; if you wanted to abandon the fortress anyway, you don't need to backup).

Then start a new game in the world where you abandoned the fortress and choose reclaim. The program will automatically focus on any abandoned fortresses, so it can be located with ease.

Deathworks

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2008, 05:59:53 pm »

i found a nice methode for making interesting hystori(s):
method:
first try to make a nice place where races are close enougth for conflicts but too far to make real damage. then with the same seed you can change:
popcap
endyear
number of race (not sure haven't tested much yet just changed from 7 to 5 so i have one/major race)
number of caves (migth reject tougth, or change emplacement but sometimes work)
and of course history seed
resultat:
In a nice place some altered history to chose the best one.
What i maneged (tested on a small - 65x65 one) is to have one where i can let civilisations always be in conflict, i let it also for long term with mid popcap(too big slows my computer much) and goblins where even put away by humans all this in elven age. put i am sure later even elves would be attacked seriausly by human fellows, and that occured around 1500 (with popcap of 3000)
here are my parameters if interested:
ps.: if you have a good computer and want to alter my hystory could you try 5-6000 for an endyear of 5000 please i would be happy to know what would happen if i could let the humans (after killing all the goblins) try to conquest elven forests ...
edit: i ve forgoten that i use some mod settings so my seed migth not work for you...  however they may like these are some minor changes (all econmic stone martial art base some toy mode settings and animal mens ...)
modebase settings i used:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:07:34 pm by Mohreb el Yasim »
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2008, 12:53:32 pm »

So has anybody gotten around to making a little tutorial that explains what all the editable values/numbers mean yet?

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42