Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163818 times)

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2008, 10:44:25 pm »

That would tend to keep the monster hunters busy with named wild animals, yes.  It would also curtail civ growth, which may or may not be desirable.  I find a big dwarven civ is my friend.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2008, 10:49:10 pm »

Oh, large neutral and non-savage too.  Just a nice large savage region means the megabeats can hide out in it.  You don't need them everywhere.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2008, 01:27:18 am »

Code: [Select]
[DRAINAGE:0:20:400:400]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:4128:13:12]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
These look to be your main problems.  With drainage max at 20, you'll never get forests.  Your world will consist entirely of mountains, sand deserts, grassland, savanna, marshes, and swamp.  However, because the generator is still looking and saying "Hang on, there's not enough forest squares!  I need 4,128, and I'm only seeing 0!", it'll always reject.  Likewise with the drainage rates distribution.

Nullify both of those entries (Well, all 6, technically, or you can just zero them out in world_gen.txt) and you should be able to at least get to initializing history, but you may still get infinite rejects because it keeps trying to place elves.

It's probably been linked before, but this thread is useful for working out what ranges will get you features you want.

Edit: You'll also want to nullify hill counts, too, just to be sure.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:30:20 am by Dareon Clearwater »
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2008, 10:12:32 am »

"Broadleaf temperate forests" are a kind of jungle, right?  I don't think any of the tiles are really called "jungle".  Look at the region names... do they not include the world "jungle" fairly often?

The jungle identifier shows up, but their not tropical regions. I've I've embarked in these areas and encounter dear and reases marqueeeee, but no elephants. They keep showing up as temperate, despite being warm or hot.

Hmm, maybe it has to do with altitude also?  Try putting no weight on altitude for the 3rd 25% range for altitude, so your land will mostly either be mountain or lowland.

Nay, the massive rejects was cause I still had minimum square counts for deserts and grasslands. So it kept rejecting 'till I told it to stop checking.
This time I'm keeping the drainage and rain in the high numbers and removing the weights in the mesh sizes, and the temperature will be set to be between 60 and 75. Also, there will be no minimum square counts.

The results looks good, a world almost dominated by forests.  Also, a temperate savanna, and again temperate broadleaf forests in HOT climates. No tropical forests or shrub lands. Anywhere.

WTF? A temperate conifer forest in a hot region?

edit-> where did all of those typos come from?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:06:27 pm by the_taken »
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2008, 12:00:51 pm »

What is the best way to get rid of rivers? I need minimum number of water on my map.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »

Really great world, all evil mountains its got all the races an intresting history and a site with flux river trees and magma that is evil and kinda cliffy (I used the finder).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2008, 04:40:05 pm »

Really great world, all evil mountains its got all the races an intresting history and a site with flux river trees and magma that is evil and kinda cliffy (I used the finder).

from you're map, mountains are made of flux, and theres a chasm in there somewere

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2008, 01:58:12 am »

Wow, this map is really great.

So, is there a way to reduce the number of/remove rivers?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2008, 02:23:42 am »

Wow, this map is really great.

So, is there a way to reduce the number of/remove rivers?

Change minimum rivers after erosion.  It's more like a desired number of rivers than a minimum (setting it to 0 results in no rivers at all).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2008, 02:38:26 am »

Oh, thanks, I missed that option.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2008, 02:59:16 am »

I like playing smaller (2x2) maps. However, I'm having a hard time finding a small site that has a magma pipe, water (brook, river, etc), trees, and flux. I'd prefer a site with a sedimentary layer and/or sand as well, but at this point (read: 8 worlds of searching) I'm not going to get picky about that.

Anyone got a good recipe for a world that might help me find what I'm looking for?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2008, 03:16:17 am »

I like playing smaller (2x2) maps. However, I'm having a hard time finding a small site that has a magma pipe, water (brook, river, etc), trees, and flux. I'd prefer a site with a sedimentary layer and/or sand as well, but at this point (read: 8 worlds of searching) I'm not going to get picky about that.

Anyone got a good recipe for a world that might help me find what I'm looking for?

Never gonna happen.  You're going to need extreme volcanism variance to get magma into a sedimentary rock biome.  Sand will never show up in a 2x2 here.  You'll get trees with the flux and your water will likely be an aquifer (and with the magma pipe, piercing it is easy).

But yeah, turn up volcanism a lot (also min volcanoes).

danielout

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2008, 03:37:50 am »

Thanks for the tip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2008, 03:45:18 am »

I recommend using pocket worlds; they tend to come with everything kind of smooshed together. For instance:

The second biome has sand, as well, though you have to go up to 2x4 if you want a magma pipe instead of pool. Here's the seed, if you want it. Everything's set on default except end year, and it was made in 39f.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2008, 06:22:21 am »

Never gonna happen.  You're going to need extreme volcanism variance to get magma into a sedimentary rock biome.  Sand will never show up in a 2x2 here.  You'll get trees with the flux and your water will likely be an aquifer (and with the magma pipe, piercing it is easy).

But yeah, turn up volcanism a lot (also min volcanoes).

Of course, turning up vulcanism will have negative or even deleterious effects upon your flux supply. 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42