Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163820 times)

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:12 am »

Code: [Select]
[RIVER_MINS:300:0]Well, changing the second number there to a non-zero value should probably help. It might be that the game will only generate a certain number of rivers based on the minimum values, I guess, but that doesn't sound right.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2008, 05:32:15 pm »

I'm almost done my turn on a succession game, and am looking for a soap fort for my next challenge. Specifically, I'm trying to generate a world with tropical jungles, forests and shrub lands adjacent to mountains so that I can begin elephant husbandry. Unfortunetly, after twelve different parameters and almost 100k rejects, the the best I seem to be able to get are things like temperate broad leaf forests with a warm or hot climate. Does anybody know how to get a huge frequency of jungles, to the point of which they line up against mountains?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2008, 06:56:39 pm »

The easiest way is to gen a world map that's taller than it is wide.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2008, 07:42:06 pm »

To have lots of forests, tell the world gen to make lots of squares with both high rainfall AND high drainage.  Without high drainage, you get no forests.  If you want those forests to be jungles, just raise temperature.  You should probably turn off all of the rejection parameters (don't remove minimum rivers though) in order to avoid rejections.  Adjust elevation and other factors (such as savagery) according to your taste...

See this thread for a good description of what factors make what biomes:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20685.0

The only problem that I have found with forest worlds is that elves will completely PWN the whole world if there are lots of forests.  The effers seem to breed like rabbits, never die, and they like to attack other nations that cut down trees (I think).  This would definitely include dwarf fortresses because you can see forests getting cut down in a two or three square radius of any and all fortresses during the early phases of world history.  Usually a few dwarf sites manage to stay alive during the elf onslaught, but humans don't always do so well... though a few downtrodden settlements will make it through the first several centuries.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2008, 01:35:36 pm »

I figured that much out, but I still got broad leaf temperate forests, despite them being in warm and hot climates.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2008, 02:54:50 pm »

"Broadleaf temperate forests" are a kind of jungle, right?  I don't think any of the tiles are really called "jungle".  Look at the region names... do they not include the world "jungle" fairly often?

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2008, 03:15:35 pm »

Hey all.  I'm trying to make a perminantly burning world as described here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm using a medium world setup.  I set this line
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:200:200]
to
[TEMPERATURE:10000:20000:200:200]

It makes a world where it's "burning hot" everywhere, but it's not !!hot!!.  If I make them six figures, it wraps back around to an infinitely rejected glacier.  The 200:200 part doesn't seem to have any effect.

Any ideas how to make my world apocolyptically hot?

Just use the normal map editing tools in-game, and set Minimum Temperature from 1000 and Maximum Temperature to 1000. The value can be set from -1000 (Instant freezing) to 1000 (!!Dwarf Chunk!!).

It's just that the world doesn't realize it's !!Burning!! until you start in adventurer mode or fortress mode.

Then everything burns.

On another note, anyone have any idea on how to encourage wars between dwarves and goblins? I've created nearly 80 worlds since 39a, and I've only once gotten a world where goblins went to war with the dwarves. I've tried changing entity files, DAMBLOCK values, creature tokens, etc. I've seized all of the goblins' wares, once a season, for 10 years, and they did not declare war on me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:23:06 pm by RPharazon »
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2008, 04:38:23 pm »

"Broadleaf temperate forests" are a kind of jungle, right?  I don't think any of the tiles are really called "jungle".  Look at the region names... do they not include the world "jungle" fairly often?

The jungle identifier shows up, but their not tropical regions. I've I've embarked in these areas and encounter dear and reases marqueeeee, but no elephants. They keep showing up as temperate, despite being warm or hot.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2008, 07:33:55 pm »

Every time I try to use custom parameters I just get spammed with rejections. Every single region is rejected. What am I doing wrong?

If anyone can help, I'm trying to make a more ocean-focused world (rather than the current land-focused worlds- land surrounding oceans, rather  than the other way around) with a decent amount of magma and volcanos.
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2008, 08:10:13 pm »

First things first: go to the init file and turn on the worldgen rejection log option to YES.  This will make a log that explains why things are being rejected, and can help you (or someone on this forum) make educated guesses on how to fix it.

The other important thing is to go through the worldgen parameters and turn off all of the "minimum tiles/regions" parameters, which are criterion by which the game rejects maps... you will want to leave the minimum number of rivers to a decent amount, though (I don't think it can cause rejections).

Other things that can cause rejects are not having enough places for civs to seed in.  This can be caused by not having enough of a particular biome (not enough mountains for dwarves will cause a reject unless you set the params so you don't need a fortress mode controllable entity) or by having the evil factor turned up so high that civs do not have enough available regions to live in.

For oceans, put massive weight on the lower 25% of the altitude range, and make the mesh low (I guess).  Tweak this along with the x and y variance for altitude until you  get oceans and land masses of the size and shape you want. 

Same goes for volcanism more or less.  You can also set the min number of volcanoes high (say 200 or so for a large map- careful though, because this can cause rejections if the number of squares with 100 volcanism is not high enough).  This makes 100 (max) volcanism squares turn into volcanoes until the minimum number is met, once the erosion cycle is over (I think).

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2008, 08:13:55 pm »

The jungle identifier shows up, but their not tropical regions. I've I've embarked in these areas and encounter dear and reases marqueeeee, but no elephants. They keep showing up as temperate, despite being warm or hot.

Hmm, maybe it has to do with altitude also?  Try putting no weight on altitude for the 3rd 25% range for altitude, so your land will mostly either be mountain or lowland.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2008, 08:17:32 pm »

This is all incomprehensible to me. Can you just glance at this and tell me what it is that's screwed up? This is what I'm trying to use.

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:BLARGHIBLY]
[DIM:257:257]
[END_YEAR:1050]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:300:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:1:400:800:800]
[RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400]
[DRAINAGE:0:20:400:400]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:100:1000:2000]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:100:1000:2000]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:50]
[OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:3]
[VOLCANO_MIN:15]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:1032:7:6]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:1032:7:6]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:4128:13:12]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:8256:9:9]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:8256:7:6]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:8256:13:12]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:8256:13:12]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:425:400]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:50]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:100]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:400]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:50]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
[RAIN_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2008, 09:08:55 pm »

I'm not so good at reading those in that format.  I think your best bet is to look at the parameters posted in this thread

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=20512.45

page 4 by Lord Licorice- he made what you seem to want.  THat should probably be able to help you figure how to do it:

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2008, 09:13:32 pm »

Actually, Tiler had something closer to what I want (more variety between islands). Thanks for the link!
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2008, 09:36:27 pm »

As a side note, I heard from a friend today (like, a few minutes ago) that he saw somewhere on the forums how to get megabeasts to live longer without modding them:

Large high savage regions.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42