Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 161834 times)

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:29 pm »

How do you get more sedimentary rock with a highly volcanic world?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2008, 07:59:56 pm »

I think the best bet is to make it less volcanic. High volcanism seems to get rid of sedimentary rock.

What I did was just make it 0-100 with 1600 variance. I ended up with plenty of volcanos without a minimum volcanism.

If you want a really volcanic world with bits of sediment you might try adjusting the volcanism ranges and setting the higher volcanism levels at a higher probability than the lower, then get rid of the minimum. I haven't tried it, but logically it should make a world with mostly high volcanic areas and a few low volcanic sedimentary areas.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2008, 10:35:17 pm »

I've been toying around with getting more foothills (i.e. not getting mountains to jutt abruptly out of plains areas) by tweaking the elevation mesh and the region counts (starting with the base Medium world gen params, larges take forever).  The number of mountain ranges is a little low, but the surrounding plains will rise more quickly before turning into mountains (been verifying this with a heightmap viewer, which was the whole reason I started doing it: mountains don't just form out of nowhere).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 12:21:29 am »

This is what i just cooked up, haven't made a world with it yet though, will make one now (geographically the generated worlds look promising though)
Edit: this is for a medium sized world btw.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:28:23 am by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 01:09:33 am »

So...

Did someone figure out "Not enough entity placement locations" yet?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 04:40:29 am »

Entity placement locations, I think, refers to placing civs.  No one will build in a high savagery area, which is likely the problem most experience.  I think Hell World listed in this thread solved that by upping the mesh size on savagery so he had these oases of civilization.

Has anyone figured out what makes glaciers?  I keep fiddling with temperature, drainage, rainfall, and river starts, but anytime I specify ANY number of glacier regions, it rejects.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 08:53:59 am »

I figured out how to make a world of entire deserts.

The trick is, drainage changes a lot.  High drainage creates hills I think, low drainage creates flat area.  If I remember correctly, it may be the other way around.  I don't know why.  It might have to do with erosion.

After that just make rain low and temperature high.

Then I turned savagery up high and made 90% of the map evil.  I have yet to have a civilization survive for 400 years.  Hehehe.  Methinks I should tone it down a wee bit.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 02:52:09 pm »

Entity placement locations, I think, refers to placing civs.  No one will build in a high savagery area, which is likely the problem most experience.  I think Hell World listed in this thread solved that by upping the mesh size on savagery so he had these oases of civilization.

Has anyone figured out what makes glaciers?  I keep fiddling with temperature, drainage, rainfall, and river starts, but anytime I specify ANY number of glacier regions, it rejects.

The parameters i posted above seem to generate worlds with quite large glacier areas, i think you can definately tweak it to create even more glaciers.
I think these are key: [TEMPERATURE:0:50:100:100] (maybe even go lower, like [TEMPERATURE:0:25:50:50]
and rainfall, although i don't really understand it yet [RAINFALL:0:100:1000:1000] (maybe make the first parameter higher then 0, could possibly result in an endless string of rejects though) and drainage [DRAINAGE:0:100:500:500].

I'l try making a 50% glacier world next, so if i manage i'll post the parameters. Better make that 25%.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:05:44 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 10:06:47 pm »

I am absolutely terrible at using the advanced parameters so could someone please advise me on how to make a small evil jungle world. Thanks, help is greatly appreciated.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2008, 04:11:45 pm »

This seems to be the best glacier type of map i can come up with, what exactly makes glaciers glaciers and tundras tundras anyways? Seem to getting way too much tundras.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »

Here's a pretty good way to make a world with more defined continents.  I've tried to give them bigger, taller mountain ranges, but not much luck so far.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2008, 08:33:46 pm »

I am absolutely terrible at using the advanced parameters so could someone please advise me on how to make a small evil jungle world. Thanks, help is greatly appreciated.

You don't need to change too much.  Put lots of weight on highest rainfall and drainage (necessary for jungle/forests).  Make the mesh for these 16x or 32x I think.  But also give a little bit of weight (maybe 1/10th of that given to highest rainfall) to lowest rainfall so that there will be plains for the humans to settle on.  Without that, it won't be able to gen probably.  Be sure to turn off all params about "minimum x" and so on, since it can be hard to predict what kind of terrain will appear... but you can be pretty sure that you will have lotsa forests/jungles if you do this.

I made some big worlds like this... its kind of interesting for a bit, but the elves basically pwn the whole planet.  THe landscape is dotted with the ruins of human, dwarf and goblin cities, and the massive jungles are just overidden with frigging elf hippie communes.

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2008, 05:21:28 am »

Glaciers require medium elevation, freezing temperature, and very high drainage. At least, that's what I saw somewhere. I suggest just painting on the temperature and upping minimum drainage.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2008, 06:03:12 am »

This produced a very neat world.  (Warning, seed included, strip out if desired)

Up in the north, there's a huge selection of glaciers, including a volcanic set with nearby dwarf civ, down to the south you've got at least three human civs who seem to have been bantering back and forth with the elves for a while (I actually pity the forest retreat that showed up right next to a human town).

I've found that upping the volcanism mesh size and weighting the top range high in addition to setting minimum volcanoes high really makes some nice effects.  Clusters all over the place.  Greatly increases the chance of finding a suitable site with magma in the area.

Huh.  Oh, wow.  I just found out that you can export resource distribution maps from Legends mode (d)  With enough patience, I could probably overlay them and work out what settings are getting me what features.

As long as I'm babbling, might as well say that I simply cannot use the paint mode.  I have never been a fan of clicking blindly, and if I try it windowed or MOUSE:ON, it lags so badly I have no idea WHAT I'm drawing.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2008, 02:27:18 pm »

Huh.  Oh, wow.  I just found out that you can export resource distribution maps from Legends mode (d)  With enough patience, I could probably overlay them and work out what settings are getting me what features.

Yup, though Temp is broken right now.  The top-end cutoff (i.e. pure white on the export) is about 77 to 80 degrees.  Any tile "warm" and hotter will be white.

But yes, you can do some pretty neat stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 42