Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163686 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #480 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:11 pm »

How can you edit your civilisations to maximise the chances of having a large number of long pointless wars to maximise the chances of conflict while minimising the odds that civilisations will be destroyed?
Well the current recognized irregularity in wars is how elves work. Without a max age it doesn't take an all too rare set of circumstance for them to just explode in population, however, they're weak so when a human town gets a legendary axeguy he pretty much kills waves and waves of elves by himself until he dies of old age and they overrun the place.

By tweaking mortality and maybe litter sizes you might be able to get endless wars. I think the real key here will be setting the maximum population of settlements so that you basically won't ever have the defenders go on the offensive and your immortal elves or whichever races can just swarm endlessly at them. If you can be sure they won't ever get wiped out you could give the elves ridiculous population dynamics but makes them like size one and without hands (not even wooden weapons then) or that sort of thing. I think with big enough population booms they'd make sites fast enough that a less populous civ might never wipe them out even if they were clearing a site per season but you'd really have to check.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 21, 2010, 08:00:59 pm »

I've heard that one reason elves don't win battles more often is that battles (in worldgen) are implemented in single-combat fashion, almost like a series of duels, so vast numbers don't help much.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Keldi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 22, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »

I've been trying my hand at worldgen for a while, trying to create my ideal embark site.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pain in the butt to find, but there are a couple things I'm getting stuck at.

My goal is to have a 2x? or ?x2 embark, with flux, a river, a magma pipe, and HFS.  (With the non-2 dimension being 7 or less.)  That in and of itself isn't too bad.  What makes things difficult are that I also want humans, goblins, and elves nearby, and I want most of the embark zone to be Evil.  My goal is to have decent trading early game, then eventually declare war on everyone and have wars forever.  Having humans is important because they seem to be the most interesting race to be at war with other than goblins.

I've been running into two problems with my plan.

The first is that my custom world_gen seems to have a lot of trouble producing places for humans to live.  Every time I get a world actually generated, I can't seem to find any humans.  I doubt they're just getting killed off, because history generation usually stops around year 50, and elves seem to be everywhere.  Probably not enough grasslands, but I don't see why that would be happening.

The other is that I keep getting the "No controllable entity definitions available" rejection error.  This is pretty minor, because it only happens 1-2 times on average before a world is accepted, but I just don't know why it's happening.  I read it's related to a lack of mountains or non-savage areas for dwarves to settle on, but I still don't know why it's happening.  (Probably relevant stats: My elevation range is 80-400 with 1600x1600 variance, and elevatiion weight is 5:1:1:5:10.  Savagery is 0-100 with 1600x1600 variance, weight of 1:1:2:2:2.  Peak number is 150, oceans 0, volcanos 75, and good/evil square counts are both 2000:20000:40000.)

I have the good square settings high because I'd like a chance of finding an evil area with some good tiles on it, but I mainly just want sunberries for sunshine.  Any idea what influences whether or not the elves will end up bringing some sunberries and/or sunberry seeds with them?  Do the elves have to be set up in a good biome?

Including the worldgen settings below.  They're based on the "Workin" setup from earlier in this thread, with a lot of tweaks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 22, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »

I thought elves do usually win pretty quick after the last champion in a town dies but the 1v1 thing would really help make sense of it as I don't think champs would become exhausted very often fighting that way.

-

Really? How do you get your stuff together enough to say that's not horrible to find.

You could look in legends mode to see if humans are being placed for sure.

Yes. The Elves would need to have a settlement with access to sunberries to bring them. This is one of the advantages of running world gen longer as the particular civs can expand and get more materials.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 22, 2010, 03:13:03 pm »

At least when it comes to certain things, the elves DO NOT need to actually have a site within a biome to have access to things in that biome.

Proof: They can bring giant desert scorpions, which only exist in deserts. Elves never have sites in deserts.

So I think they just need their civ's area of influence (as seen in Legends mode) to include the area, but I'm honestly not sure; maybe it's some other criterion.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Keldi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 22, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »

Really? How do you get your stuff together enough to say that's not horrible to find.
The combination of parameters I have seems to produce a site that matches everything but the Evil part every single run, either 2x6 or 6x2.  Once I filter it to High Evil, though, probably only 1/3 of sites match.  Generating a large world, though, so finding one or two in a large world isn't too nuts.

You could look in legends mode to see if humans are being placed for sure.
Looks like they weren't.  I did some more careful weighting and it seems to have solved the problem; humans have started to show up.

Yes. The Elves would need to have a settlement with access to sunberries to bring them. This is one of the advantages of running world gen longer as the particular civs can expand and get more materials.
I'd probably let world gen run longer, except by year 50ish I hit the "50% megabeasts dead" trigger and it stops.  I tried giving them a higher damblock, but it didn't make a whole lot of difference.  I really want to have several of them active when I'm in the late game, so maybe I should try buffing them up even more, and hoping that they're actually still killable by the time I'm done.

Sun berries aren't too important, but it'd be really nice to have them.  I have a very intense focus on dwarf happiness when I make forts, and I'd guess sunshine would improve morale even more.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 23, 2010, 01:46:33 pm »

I multiple soil(/ice) layers have reportedly shown up in large worlds but don't so much show up in medium ones, though I haven't had much luck either way.

-

Just set the megabeast size over 9000 during world gen then dial it back when you start your fort.

powell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 23, 2010, 02:21:04 pm »

Anyone have some world gen params (since I can never get it right) for a world that is mostly jungle/rain forest. Not a lot of mountains/desert, a breeding place for elves and humans. Want for an adventure game.

with these options and allowing all reject types (got annoyed after a while trying to tweak it)
Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:FOREST]
[DIM:129:129]
[END_YEAR:10000]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:2:100]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:1:200]
[RAINFALL:0:100:0:0]
[TEMPERATURE:30:80:0:0]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:0:0]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:0:0]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:0:0]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:0:0:0:0:0]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:503]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:25:251:503]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:0]
[OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:200:1:1]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:30:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:10000:6:5]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:100:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:1000:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:1000:3:3]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:2080:3:3]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:1000]
[RIVER_MINS:75:50]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:3000]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:20]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:5]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:50]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:15]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:-1]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:0]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]
you get this...
sweet jesus
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:55:43 pm by powell »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 24, 2010, 12:10:36 am »

Not sure if this is what you meant, but I recentelly made this one as an expiriment and it has lots of forests. The expiriment was to make a world with all races living in it, but it could only have 1 elevation, rainfall, drainage and temperature value. It worked in the end by using volcanoes for goblins and dwarves to live on, and making it so humans could live in their rainshadows.

Its horribly overloaded with elves due to all the forest though. Also note that you might have to regen it a few times before you get all the races. Humans occasionally get wiped out or just dont appear.

I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #489 on: January 24, 2010, 07:42:04 am »

I would like to generate world with 'proper' continents where you can not walk to edge, basically world that has water at all edges.

Is it even possible with worldgen params?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 24, 2010, 07:52:55 am »

You can certainly paint one.

I think someone's managed to get proper continents, though, yes.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 25, 2010, 11:10:28 pm »

The search feature is much better for that than manually looking-

I wish I could paint more ambiguous values though, such as 20-65.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 16, 2010, 12:13:33 am »

Does anyone have a good seed and location for a canyon? Features, I dont really care about, just a good canyon.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 16, 2010, 03:09:08 am »

Please define 'good' when applied to canyons.

Do you want something long and windy or straight and wide?
Do you want a river down the middle of it? Carp or no carp?
Do you just mean a good fortress location with a valley in it?
Would a chasm qualify?
Does it need to begin and end within the fortresses lands? Ow would it be better if it kept going off the side of the map...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 16, 2010, 04:06:53 am »

Please define 'good' when applied to canyons.

Do you want something long and windy or straight and wide?
Yes. More on the wide part though.

Do you want a river down the middle of it? Carp or no carp?
River optional, but preferred, carp optional.

Do you just mean a good fortress location with a valley in it?
I suppose of between to sheer cliffs there no river it valley. So yes.

Would a chasm qualify?

I dont believe chasm can get that large. The idea is to do a bridge fortress. if a chasm was large enough between to sheet anchor points, then yes.

Does it need to begin and end within the fortresses lands? Ow would it be better if it kept going off the side of the map...

Dont know what cha mean by this one.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42