Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 161765 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #600 on: December 05, 2012, 10:32:42 am »

I'm running into problems genning necromancer towers.

I've got a seed I like (the dwarven civ is called The Greater Anvil, even), and I can't get its history to spit out a single undead monstrosity.

So far, I'm working with [SECRETS:1000] and genning to year 1000 (will be jacking that up to 2000 in a fit of quixotic pique).  There are a lot of FBs--do those eat baby necromancers?  All races are present, and I've tried increasing their populations, but these dwarves just don't want to abominate.

There seems to be plenty of space for towers in the appropriate biomes--they seem to like evil/untamed forests, and there's plenty of that real estate available.

Currently considering:  Making goblins mortal.  Increasing the animal-man population.  Is there a way to increase the likelihood of a war or three?  I'm wondering if a dearth of corpses might be the problem.

Thanks!
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 05, 2012, 10:41:54 am »

I've had towers after just 30 years of worldgen without changing the number of secrets. So I'm guessing you should try another history seed.

If you want to use the same history seed, you can also alter history by changing the number of megabeasts, titans, nightcreatures and such. Every small alteration here will produce a slightly different history, if you change numbers a lot things like civ names are going to change though.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:33 pm »

I'm trying to gen a mostly desert/wasteland world with a higher proportion of evil areas and lots of necro towers and vampires and whatnot. I'm having trouble generating stable worlds with modified biome ratios and temperature ranges. Is there a knack to it?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 05, 2014, 10:25:51 pm »

Necro towers prefer lots of plains and low savagery to get going, that and a load of secrets of life and death.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 05, 2014, 10:42:18 pm »

I'm trying to gen a mostly desert/wasteland world with a higher proportion of evil areas and lots of necro towers and vampires and whatnot. I'm having trouble generating stable worlds with modified biome ratios and temperature ranges. Is there a knack to it?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "stable." Do you mean you are having trouble during world generation with the game repeatedly rejecting the worlds as you try to generate them or do you mean that the worlds that are created have balancing problems such as all the elves getting wiped out during history generation because there aren't enough good aligned woodlands for them to settle?

In the advanced settings when you increase the likelihood of a given terrain, biome, savagery etc. you need to also alter the corresponding "minimum number" values of related areas.

So say for instance you crank up the chance of high volcanism then you will naturally generate a world with more high volcanism areas. This also means that there will naturally be less tiles of all the other types of volcanism. Thus the world will tend to get rejected during generation because it doesn't meet the minimum's set for low and medium volcanic tiles. So you will need to decrease the minimum allowable number of low volcanism and medium volcanism squares as you increase the chances for high volcanism areas to keep rejections from happening.

If you want lots of necro tower I highly recommend that you turn down savagery on average and make sure there are lots of plains around along with secrets of life and death.

Also, if you are having balancing problems such as one or more of the major races being wiped out in world generation, these problems will be magnified when creating smaller worlds. Try making them at least medium sized or even large if you computer can handle it.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:36 pm »

Yeah I couldn't remember the word- I was having world rejection issues. I'll set all my minima to zero in future, see if that helps.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 06, 2014, 12:26:54 am »

You should basically always set minimum tile numbers to zero on everything -- if you want a lot of something, make it happen by changing the relevant world parameters like rainfall, etc. Not by relying on a once-in-a-lifetime bizarre random number roll (which is what the minimum tiles do - simply check after the fact to see if it HAPPENED to do what you asked).

For evilness, use the "desired number of tiles evil" etc. not minimums. You can simply set it to very high numbers of desired evil and zero desired good, and it will make almost the whole map evil (you need tiny amoutns not evil to place civilizations)

For deserts and wastelands, you want low to medium drainage and very low rainfall + of course high temperatures.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 10, 2014, 07:49:36 am »

I want swamps. :o

Or just basically being able to figure out how to properly make worlds look how I want. ;_;

You want to turn down the amount of drainage and up the amount of rainfall. Temperature can also play a roll in it, and I made a world that's meant to give me Moist Tropical Broad-leaf Forest. The problem is I got 546 rejections before it spat out a world...

Oh and it's also meant to give you lots of volcanoes.

Here it is, if you want to try it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 13, 2014, 07:02:06 pm »

I think this is the thread for this, yes? A site I found for those who are in the mood to have absolutely every resource (pretty much) at their fingertips:

[SEED:iTCzK3bDMUbcSMSHE7Cq]
[HISTORY_SEED:HuTz0kmE7tSZWVtbWPVU]
[NAME_SEED:jOPf4zrKmZK0OPLoPTxD]
[CREATURE_SEED:r9MvYS28SwahjE1TOWEw]

Embark example:

Features:
-Major river (or lake depending on embark shape)
-Volcano
-Both sand and clay IN the volcano's caldera rim right by the surface lava.
-Fire clay only a few blocks away from the volcano rim
-Marble flux
-17,000+ hematite even in my smallish embark shape shown here, including a lot visible right on the surface.
-Great variety of other metals - tetra, gold, aluminum, candy, malachite, and galena
-Layer stones are mostly metamorphic and igneous types of stuff (basalt, andesite, rhyolite, gabbro, slate, etc.)
-Medium forest coverage
-Some good colors to work with in limited quantities: orhtoclase, olivine, malachite, cinnabar, microcline
-Underground is not super deep, not good for large projects or hugely sprawling forts. IS probably good for FPS and for cavern resource access.
-Only one cavern, open structure
-The river basin is aquifer, the hills with the volcano are not, so you can circumvent but still use as desired
-Cavern water is just SW a bit from the volcano tile
-The hillsides are realistic looking, no bizarre dramatic square shapes.

Where site is in the world:
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 18, 2014, 09:25:50 am »

I've decided to take another crack at carving out Roadhouse, but I can't be assed cooking yet another world and trying to find a perfect site, so I figured I'd give outsourcing a shot. Someone out there must like this part, right?

My requirements are as follows:
  • There must be at least 22 layers of rock between the bottom soil layer and the first cavern. Also, magma sea is a yes.
  • World size and age doesn't matter so much, but I usually I like to have my dwarves arrive on site in the year 1000 :)
  • Site must have a river, sand, and at least some trees. River must be liquid for most of the year, and preferably freeze for at least a month. I don't mind at all if it's badlands.
  • Site should be mostly to completely flat, at least for all but the corners.
  • I would prefer if there was a few marble layers before the first cavern layer, though it's not a necessity.
  • No necromancers nearby. I had a bad experience once with a perfect site apart from that, and everyone was killed by bits of fish skeleton.
Any takers?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 18, 2014, 10:29:29 am »

I've decided to take another crack at carving out Roadhouse, but I can't be assed cooking yet another world and trying to find a perfect site, so I figured I'd give outsourcing a shot. Someone out there must like this part, right?

My requirements are as follows:
  • There must be at least 22 layers of rock between the bottom soil layer and the first cavern. Also, magma sea is a yes.
  • World size and age doesn't matter so much, but I usually I like to have my dwarves arrive on site in the year 1000 :)
  • Site must have a river, sand, and at least some trees. River must be liquid for most of the year, and preferably freeze for at least a month. I don't mind at all if it's badlands.
  • Site should be mostly to completely flat, at least for all but the corners.
  • I would prefer if there was a few marble layers before the first cavern layer, though it's not a necessity.
  • No necromancers nearby. I had a bad experience once with a perfect site apart from that, and everyone was killed by bits of fish skeleton.
Any takers?
I'll take a closer look this afternoon, Samoorai, but a couple of follow up questions/comments:

When you say river, is a stream ok, or must it be impassable?
Marble is typically quite deep, so that may be challenging, but we'll see.
Do you want titans, megabeasts, forgotten beasts, semi-megabeasts?  Do you want them early, often/many, or just one/a few?
Do you want neighbors?  If so, of kobolds, goblins, elves and humans, which are required / desired?
Do you want flux and coal/lignite, if there are no trees?
Do you want hfs/candy? (at all, this can be completely removed)
Do want more than one cavern layer, that is, is just one ok?

looks reasonably easy, shouldn't be a problem to get most if not all of these requirements.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 18, 2014, 11:45:20 am »

I'll take a closer look this afternoon, Samoorai, but a couple of follow up questions/comments:

When you say river, is a stream ok, or must it be impassable?
Marble is typically quite deep, so that may be challenging, but we'll see.
Do you want titans, megabeasts, forgotten beasts, semi-megabeasts?  Do you want them early, often/many, or just one/a few?
Do you want neighbors?  If so, of kobolds, goblins, elves and humans, which are required / desired?
Do you want flux and coal/lignite, if there are no trees?
Do you want hfs/candy? (at all, this can be completely removed)
Do want more than one cavern layer, that is, is just one ok?

looks reasonably easy, shouldn't be a problem to get most if not all of these requirements.

Stream is fine.
My last version of Roadhouse had marble layers for all of the habitation levels :)
Default is fine, though I'd prefer not to encounter anything huge for the first several years.
I'm fine with all, but again, I'd prefer no enemies for the first several years.
Yes, though I should be okay for wood after a few years.
I don't mind either way.
Again, don't really mind. 2 is probably good.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 18, 2014, 05:44:40 pm »

Ok, this gets almost everything (except the surface marble).

The river does freeze, for the month of Opal.  In this particular world, it's either that or it's frozen for more than half the year (couldn't find a good biome match in between) but generating similar worlds you could find a more specific temperature range.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 19, 2014, 03:32:06 am »

Sorry to be picky, but I was hoping for the next size up world. Also embark needs to be 4x4.

The marble thing isn't that big an issue, just as long as there is some flux stone and magma-proof stone before the first cavern.

And freezing for one month a year is perfect. I just need a short window to install the water system.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 30, 2014, 02:04:48 pm »

Not sure if this has been said here before, but some things to note about randomly generated creatures/materials/interactions:

All disturbance curses are the same. More than one produces needless clutter.
All vampire curses are the same. More than one produces needless clutter.
All necromancer curses are the same. More than one produces needless clutter.
All regional interactions are the same. More than one produces needless clutter.
Increasing the number of these interactions does not increase their frequency in-game. (ex. A world with one necro interaction will produce multiple slabs that carry the same secret.)

Many werecurses are possible, but after 50-100 they start to get repetitive.
Many bogeymen are possible, but after 20-30 they start to get repetitive.
Many demons are possible, but after 30-50 the snow/salt/steam/fire ones start to get repetitive.
Many night trolls are possible, but after 20-30 they start to get repetitive.

Evil clouds/rain and titans are up to you, as they have near infinite varieties.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42