Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 161762 times)

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #585 on: December 12, 2011, 09:56:49 pm »

just came here to say i love you guys for the awesome worlds and thanks for the help in making lava faster to get to. i also learned how to do up down stairs so getting magam is now fast i cant believe i use to do down stairs then up stairs. i dug into hell and i have dwarfs training to fight them so i can break the walls.

Trieforce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 05, 2012, 12:40:58 pm »

Hello, fellow dwarfs!
Please, can somebody make me a world with this embark point and parameters,
  • 20000 embarkpoints
  • all materials possible(flux, deep/shallow metals, clay, sand, some/deep soil)
  • river and no aquifer
  • volcano
  • joyful wilds(wanna check sun beries)
  • woodland and temperate

I am trying to archive this using this wg-set, but have bad luck lately and cant find no volcano.
http://www.reddit.com/r/dfworldgen/comments/q1xyu/good_forestshills_with_lots_of_volcanoes_and_open/

THX

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 09, 2012, 10:29:44 am »

Hey, I've been getting back into DF (or trying to) and I'm getting hung up on world generation.  I'm very picky.  I like to get one perfect embark site that has everything and just use it for all of my games.  I used the "Perfect Spot v2" last time I was playing.

The short version is that I'd like the following in a 5x5 or smaller:
River/brook/lake/whatever
Temperate temperature (specifically, water source freezes in winter)
Trees
Volcano
Flux
Lots of metals
Sand
Clay (ideally fire clay)
No good/evil (or a minimal amount)
Medium or high savagery
No aquifers (or a minimal amount)
Still some megabeasts and titans alive
Past year 50 (ideally past year 200)
All civilized races still alive and non-hostile (except goblins of course)

I'm having a little trouble getting the combo of volcano, flux, and metals.  I followed instructions in another thread about getting a volcano with flux, but cranking up the minerals seems to wipe out the flux.  Also, something I'm doing in PerfectWorld is putting enormous aquifers everywhere and I'm not sure what it is.

I'd just as soon have instructions for solving those two issues as an actual world.  Teach a dwarf to fish and he'll get eaten by carp and all that.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 09, 2012, 01:02:59 pm »

I'm having a little trouble getting the combo of volcano, flux, and metals.

Well yeah.

Volcanos are in high volcanic regions, which are also full of igneous rock and Flux is a sedimentary rock, typically found in low volcanic regions.

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:40 pm »

Yeah, I get that.  The trick there is to basically make it so the volcanism varies wildly from square to square.  I can get a volcano with flux easily, but only if I forgo making the mineral scarcity very low.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:02 pm »

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 09, 2012, 05:04:08 pm »

You might wanna read this post.
Or this one. (Same thread)

Yeah, I've been trying to tweak those settings to remove good alignment.  I can't reproduce the second one's success with that generator.  Eventually got one from the first one, though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would've settled for a brook and I got a lake, awesome. Thanks.

Share link.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 01, 2012, 03:48:58 pm »

You might wanna read this post.
Or this one. (Same thread)
These 2 saves and parameters didn't have any 'perfect' sites. Most don't have sand, and the ones that do are in scorching hot regions. I could find a single volcano near a large sedimentary layer, and trees where quite sparse overall. In fact I've generated worlds full of sites far better than these ones. Large worlds, yes, but that is only a problem once.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even here, the sand and clay are a though find on 1 site. But I rarely even see Sedimentary rocks, never mind large depostist of lignite or ores or any flux other than marble. And on top of that, my ideal site is completely flat, with the biome containing the volcano having several layers of nothing but obsidian (none of this basalt n Rhyolite junk). The weird thing though, is that I once played a world that meet all my demands (of the time. No need for clay back then), but that was back in v0.28. Somebody had found a way to generate a world full of flat-ish volcanos using lots of rivers and erosion, but I somehow can't make it happen anymore. Too many rejections if I up them.

So do you homecookers have any tips for a newbie?

nopeasants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 11, 2012, 05:35:50 am »

hey all, first post on this site.
i'm looking for an embark spot with a desert, a brook/stream, no aquifer, enough savagery to get some of the nastier creatures, no evil, a volcano, deep and shallow metals, preferably trees (bit of an ask there), a cavern that is easily findable (about 10-18 Z-layers down), flux, an igneous layer and a sedimentary layer.
thanks.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 11, 2012, 05:22:08 pm »

For the aquifer, try removing all [AQUIFER] tags from the raws.
Desert amount, river count, savagery, evil, volcano number, ore scarcity and cavern depth can all be tweaked in advanced worldgen parameters, and you can use the site finder for most of your requirements as well. If you find a volcano, you'll probably also find igneous layers, but a sedimentary layer is not likely to appear, and you can't specify sedimentary layers in the site finder. Instead of a volcano, you can try reducing your world depth and go for the magma sea instead.

nopeasants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 15, 2012, 10:11:18 am »

I figured out how to make a world of entire deserts.

The trick is, drainage changes a lot.  High drainage creates hills I think, low drainage creates flat area.  If I remember correctly, it may be the other way around.  I don't know why.  It might have to do with erosion.

After that just make rain low and temperature high.

Then I turned savagery up high and made 90% of the map evil.  I have yet to have a civilization survive for 400 years.  Hehehe.  Methinks I should tone it down a wee bit.

hey, once you get the civs sorted post this world up. been into evil deserts lately :P

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 15, 2012, 10:35:38 am »

i cannot find a way to make a tundra/glacier/mountain map .

i don't know why , but i like glaciers and tundras .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 17, 2012, 02:21:38 am »

i cannot find a way to make a tundra/glacier/mountain map .

i don't know why , but i like glaciers and tundras .
There's a 'glacial' map on worldgen examples on the old wiki. It still works.
Only problem though, I have yet to encounter elves and humans on the same map.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 02, 2012, 09:55:53 pm »

I want swamps. :o

Or just basically being able to figure out how to properly make worlds look how I want. ;_;
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

mangulwort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 03, 2012, 12:55:31 pm »

Have you seen the wiki article on advanced world gen? I found it helpfull. However I now use PerfectWorldDF. It was hard to use at the start but now I can change anything except temp. 8)
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42