Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 161837 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #555 on: February 14, 2011, 09:06:11 pm »

Gosh, ok.  So I should worldgen with ascii and then install mayday after embarking?

I think so.

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:41 pm »

Would there be a way to get a conical shaped volcano in the middle of a terrifying jungle where the peak would be like the highest land mass? Adamantine and flux stone would be nice, but not necessary. Just nice.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 17, 2011, 05:40:02 pm »

What I'm curious about is how to adjust the composition of the metals and stones (including adamantine) in the ground. I've had a little success changing the depth of layers and similar but not much. If I want to increase say marble, or chalk how would I go about doing it?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 17, 2011, 06:24:19 pm »

What I'm curious about is how to adjust the composition of the metals and stones (including adamantine) in the ground. I've had a little success changing the depth of layers and similar but not much. If I want to increase say marble, or chalk how would I go about doing it?

If I recall correctly, all minerals are currently being populated at maximum density.  I.e. the frequency values are being ignored.

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 22, 2011, 06:01:31 pm »

So, standard worldgen seems to generate an overpopulation of elves and a quick extinction of kobolds. Is there any way to keep the number of elves in the world to a lower level (preferably much lower than humans), and to make sure that at least some kobold civs survive? Preferably just using worldgen, not fiddling with creature files.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 22, 2011, 06:07:14 pm »

So, standard worldgen seems to generate an overpopulation of elves and a quick extinction of kobolds. Is there any way to keep the number of elves in the world to a lower level (preferably much lower than humans), and to make sure that at least some kobold civs survive? Preferably just using worldgen, not fiddling with creature files.
fewer forests and more caves should do the trick

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 22, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »

The problem seems to be that forests either appear everywhere (rainfall 70+), or nowhere at all (rainfall 60 or less).

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 22, 2011, 08:08:39 pm »

Use the mesh weight values, and possibly limit the maximum rainfall value.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

MoatMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 08, 2011, 07:29:42 pm »

Strasp Xestsu:
Now with speedier world gen!
Fine grained, highly variable, forest heavy world.
(Generated with DF v 0.31.25[/i])

Sample Site has Sand, Snow, Clay, 1z slope, abundant trees, abundant plants, contact with all civs, multiple shallow & deep minerals, and fluxstone (in corner).

World Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sample Site Height Map:

Sample Site Embark Preview:

World Recipe:

Stops generation at Year 250 by default.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:49:30 pm by MoatMan »
Spergs 4 life.

WishMyNameWasFunny

• Bay Watcher
  • Surely the taste of cat roasts is getting boring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 19, 2011, 07:31:19 am »

Strasp Xestsu:
Fine grained, highly variable, forest heavy world.
(Generated with DF v 0.31.25[/i])

Sample Site has Sand, Snow, Clay, 1z slope, abundant trees, abundant plants, contact with all civs, multiple shallow & deep minerals, and fluxstone (in corner).

World Map:

Sample Site Height Map:

Sample Site Embark Preview:

World Recipe:

Stops generation at Year 250 by default.
Tried this bout 3/4 times and my DF crashes at year 12   
Signature filter has detected a boring generic signature and has disabled this option for you.

MoatMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 19, 2011, 01:01:50 pm »

I'll check the recipe and test it a few more times. Anyone else have problems or know what might be going wrong?

Edit: So far I have 2 successful gens on my Mac and 14 success with 1 freeze, which I believe to be a fluke, on my PC. Your problem may be unique, I do not know.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:33:13 pm by MoatMan »
Spergs 4 life.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 24, 2011, 09:41:15 pm »

This world is for all those who are not fans of 100+ Z-levels underground. Its basically original medium region script tweaked to compact Z levels as much as possible while retaining all key features.

The world is relatively flat, with rolling hills and most squares are good for fortress locations. There are no epic cliffs, oceans, etc.

The important stuff is that the underworld is compacted into 20-25 Z-levels.

You usually encounter underground caves at around -5 to -7Z, magma at around -15Z and the deamon underworld at -20Z.

The downsides are that there is obviously less metals, especially adamantine which is only present at cca 5 Z-levels, and the world is designed with only one cave layer (this can be easily increased to 3, but each additional cave layer adds cca 7-8 Z-levels, so with 3 cave layers you get underground within 40 Z-levels).

Feel free to tinker with variables, especially those that increase *fun* to further enhance this script, but its a big step up for all who do not want to build a fort over +100Z levels.

Also, this world has 1000 titans and 1000 types of deamons who are (almost) all trapped underground(=lots of *fun*), there are no caves, since caves kill off all the dwarves during worldgen due to high number of ueber spawns.

Happy Easter everyone!

Thank you! i've been trying (unsuccessfully) to make shallower worlds for some time now.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 25, 2011, 03:00:14 pm »

I'll check the recipe and test it a few more times. Anyone else have problems or know what might be going wrong?

Edit: So far I have 2 successful gens on my Mac and 14 success with 1 freeze, which I believe to be a fluke, on my PC. Your problem may be unique, I do not know.

I decided to take a look at it... it looks like you have the number of civilizations set to 80, whereas the standard number for a map of this size would be 40. That might cause lower-end computers to implode when generating the world history.

I haven't had any issues running the world generation on my rig. I ran it about 8 times, no crashes or anything. History took a really long time to run, for a map this size, compared to the 129x129 Medium Region map. So try lowering the number of civs to see if that'll help. It made history a lot faster for me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:02:18 pm by GenericOverusedName »

MoatMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 25, 2011, 03:11:22 pm »

I decided to take a look at it... it looks like you have the number of civilizations set to 80, whereas the standard number for a map of this size would be 40. That might cause lower-end computers to implode when generating the world history.

I haven't had any issues running the world generation on my rig. I ran it about 8 times, no crashes or anything. History took a really long time to run, for a map this size, compared to the 129x129 Medium Region map. So try lowering the number of civs to see if that'll help. It made history a lot faster for me.

I believe you have hit the nail precisely on the head. I like having an overabundance of populations and forgot that this recipe was intended to be accessible to all.

Thank you for your help, i've changed the recipe to 40 civs and checking if the sample site is still in contact with all civs.

Edit: They're all there but now the elves are at war. I'm going to try a different history seed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:22:33 pm by MoatMan »
Spergs 4 life.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 25, 2011, 03:25:46 pm »

Given the randomness of history, you'll never know if some races die out, or some odd ones end up at war with your home civilization. Try changing your home civ, you might get one that's not currently at war with the elves. Or hell, sometimes you'll end up FRIENDLY with the goblins! I used the seed you provided, and all the available dwarven races were at peace with the elves. Remember, seeds determine the starting variables, but who knows what can happen after that.

Or you could use a different history seed, of course.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:28:20 pm by GenericOverusedName »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 42