Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163767 times)

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #315 on: July 05, 2009, 10:41:32 am »

I've found these parameters produce a lot of interesting locations, including lots of tropical ones:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Definitely a good one, nice idea with the tropical thing.
Here's my version of it, basically cranked the variance and up and tweaked the mesh settings, plus a lot of other stuff to get more forests (=more tropical forests), and lots more volcanoes. It consistently generates the most interesting spots I've played in. I'll be tweaking and updating this in the future.
The fight in the dog in your what?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2009, 05:12:22 pm »

I shouldn't have dismissed making irregular shaped worlds- all the stuff that doesn't show up at medium (as far as I know) is there but it's probably even less processor heavy during the long part of world gen- counting years.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 21, 2009, 05:18:51 pm »

I'm having trouble generating a world, i'm trying to increase my chances of getting a magma pipe, a chasm with GCS, flux, underground river (or river) and HFS in 6x6 site on a medium world.

I raised the minimun mountain peak number and it effectively increased the number of extreme cliffs, increased savagery and natural cave size values to have more chances of genning a GCS, but minimun volcano number doesn't seem to do anything.

Basically it all works, cept for the magma pipe part. I've genned dozen of worlds in the last days and i got numerous sites with all these features EXCEPT  for the godamn magma pipe, which is must for what i'm trying to do.

Am i doing something wrong? Do magma pipes hate extreme cliffs?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 21, 2009, 07:43:40 pm »

Quite a few demands you have there... you might to simply use one of the premade worlds to save time. If you realy want your own generated world, do as follows.

-Set minimum volcamisn to 50, maximun to 100 and the variations to 1600. (you can set minimun to -100 as well, but this very much reduces the chances of finding flux)
-Set the volcanism mesh size to its highest, set the mesh values to 1,0,0,0,50.
-Set volcanoes to 200.
-Increase elevation variance to get more suitable mountain sites.
-Set the elevation mesh size to its maximum, set the values to 2,1,0,8,2 for the same purpose as above.
-Grab some coffee and food, finding a 'perfect' site can take a long long time.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 22, 2009, 11:53:24 am »

I HAVE RETURNED.

Dakk, try this. Its made of win and you're near to guaranteed to have lots of interesting features in your fort.

This creates 'rollling hills' with lots of small mountains. Small mountains have very compact features and its easy to find lots of stuff in a relatively small location. I can usually get flux, magma, cave river and HFS within 3x3, 2x4 or 4x2. Its quite likely to be able to fit everything within 6x6. Right now I'm building a fort on 2x7 with flux, river, cave river, cave lake, chasm, bottomless pit, magma pool, and HFS. Only 14 squares but 7 map features. The downside is that the map is relatively flat, thus not much natural Z levels, but I find it to my liking since i only like chasm-like cliffs, not steep slopes.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 22, 2009, 03:22:55 pm »

I think i got it this time, found a site with all those damn features, with access to all civs, and extreme cliffs (pretty +20 z levels ones). Now i'm just hoping for some decent ores and a GCS.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 23, 2009, 12:00:00 am »

I'm wondering if it's possible (without using the heightmap utility) to create a world that has more than one distinct continent.

I tried upping the number of edge oceans to 4 and tweaking the number of starting squares per type and required elevations a bit, and while I got a very attractive map with more water than usual, it was still one big landmass. Might be because I left in the "foothills" elevation mesh I liked from a previous Cookbook param set.

If anyone wants it, though, I'll post it up. There's a large glacier at the top, a good chunk of which is evil- I might embark on that just to get killed by zombie penguins.

Edit: Also, people keep mentioning the map painter. Where's that?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:03:50 am by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:08 am »

Since there's no way to cross large bodies of water yet, i think it'll be very difficult to gen 2 big separate chunks of land, islands are possible though, somehow. Though i think it should become possible in future releases, after all, who doesn't want to start a fort and create a bridge to the other side of the world?
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2009, 07:34:28 pm »

I've gotten large, separate continents by messing with worldgen parameters a bit.

It probably had to do with elevation more than anything else.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2009, 01:35:53 pm »

Since, for some bizzare reason or other, I can't gen worlds via batch, would anyone be able to find me an embark without a living dwarf civ, magma pipe, underground water, sand, trees, and HFS.  The actual embark size isn't of much concern to me, just much above 8x8 is pushing it.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2009, 01:59:27 pm »

I think its impossible to get such a site, because dwarves seem to be the only race capable of going EVERYWHERE in the world. And i'm not sure but i don't think you can embark on a place were no playable (IE dwarven) civilization exists.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 24, 2009, 02:20:22 pm »

You can.  I've done it lots before.  If you make dwarves the only playable civ, then it forces you to be a member of the last civ, but you don't get migrants or caravans.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 24, 2009, 04:32:44 pm »

This one creates small-sized very evil worlds. Expect lots of haunted and terrifying places. There should be a decent ammount of volcanos and magma pipes too. I've been trying to make it create maps with temperatures laid down cooler and hotter following one of the axis, but with mixed results (and not the wide climate array I expected. I do get some decent freezing places, but no tropical ones. Heck, even the freezing ones seem rather lackluster and defrost in summer(which is OK, but I expected to get more variability)

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 24, 2009, 04:55:19 pm »

You won't be getting tropical places with small worlds because it's impossible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Afthartos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 25, 2009, 05:43:26 pm »

Does anyone know a seed that has cold weather, magma pipe, underground river, river, hfs, trees, and most important of all, bauxite.
and of course the location for that site too in the seed
YOU SIR, HAVE COMMITED DORF SCIENCE!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42