Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 42

Author Topic: Worldgen cookbook  (Read 163826 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen cookbook
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2008, 06:40:42 am »

I like playing smaller (2x2) maps. However, I'm having a hard time finding a small site that has a magma pipe, water (brook, river, etc), trees, and flux. I'd prefer a site with a sedimentary layer and/or sand as well, but at this point (read: 8 worlds of searching) I'm not going to get picky about that.

Anyone got a good recipe for a world that might help me find what I'm looking for?

Never gonna happen.  You're going to need extreme volcanism variance to get magma into a sedimentary rock biome.  Sand will never show up in a 2x2 here.  You'll get trees with the flux and your water will likely be an aquifer (and with the magma pipe, piercing it is easy).

But yeah, turn up volcanism a lot (also min volcanoes).

Of course, turning up vulcanism will have negative or even deleterious effects upon your flux supply. 

weight will help.

just put a high weight on 0-20 and 80-100.
i dont know if that gridsize value wuld help, IF than only with 2x2, but it seems that just leave it on ignore will do it best.

also, set minimum medium volcanism squares to 0 and low / high squares to a verry high value both. for a large map 20000 seems to be the maximum. with 20000 the generator  will have lots of (verry fast) rejections for volcanism not evenly distributed. more than 20000 will result in endless rejections.

i wuld say 2x2 is nearly impossible to find with all this stuff... im glad if i find it on 4x4, and sand... well lets say i never made glass until now.
im thinking about of just mod all sedimentarys to be sand, this culd do the trick.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2008, 10:14:23 am »

from you're map, mountains are made of flux, and theres a chasm in there somewere
Wow that volcano is totally awsome.  Yeah this is the first map where I've had volcanos and flux on the same site.  And a fair amount of Hematite found exposed on my start map.  (not to mention the still hidden HFS)

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2008, 02:16:48 pm »

I like playing smaller (2x2) maps. However, I'm having a hard time finding a small site that has a magma pipe, water (brook, river, etc), trees, and flux. I'd prefer a site with a sedimentary layer and/or sand as well, but at this point (read: 8 worlds of searching) I'm not going to get picky about that.

Anyone got a good recipe for a world that might help me find what I'm looking for?
Run one from the first couple of pages titled "Workin". It's my favorite world recipe, given I never embark without Obsidian at my fort site, and I've always had flux and a river in woodland. Turn up volcanism a -little- for fun. Not sure how much I can help with sand.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2008, 03:33:11 pm »

Hi!

Looking around, this seems to be the best place to share some observations of mine concerning world gen.

First of all, the factors I am considering are humans, elves, goblins, dwarves, megabeasts, length of time, event number. Basically, I assume that people want all races with civs, at least one megabeast on the main continent, a long length of time, and an exciting history. And it seems that it is relatively difficult to get all of these things at the same time.

I am currently in the process of generating worlds with a very promising approach, but I don't have any concrete results yet (the first world I accepted had no goblins and 1 dragon, probably on the main continent, in 963 when probably the other long time megabeast got killed). For people having similar notions, I want to share this approach in general terms as it seems the most promising thus far to me.

The world size I am using is MEDIUM (I had considered LARGE, but since the depot would not accept such saves, I figured it wasn't worth it).

Of course I put in a percentage for megabeasts dead (90% for the above cave, now I am trying 80%) and have the check start in year 2 (after all, depending on your luck, things may collapse much sooner than 200).

The variance levels are somewhere between 400 and 800 (espially height near 800), although reducing temperature variance has no negative impact.

I multiply the number of good and evil squares and regions etc. by 4 each.

Biome requirements are 300 - 600 squares for wetlands (0:0 regions), 20 or some such squares of desert (0:0 regions), approx. 5200 squares of forest with maybe 5:5 regions, about 2800 mountain squares (3:3 regions), 100 - 1000 squares ocean (0:0 or 1:1 regions). All other biome minimums are nullified, especially grassland and hills!

Maximum number for rivers and erosion (but erosion for cliffs turned off) is rather a matter of preference, as is having about 100 volcanoes and several dozen mountain peaks.

I suggest border ocean 1 or 0, as this setup is designed to have few oceans.

Maximum number of regions should be maxed out (otherwise you could get last time rejects).

Cave size minimum is a matter of preference, I think, although I suggest 200-400. Cave size max should probably be maxed out. Cave number must be 800+800 (in other words, maxed out).

100 starting civilizations and the population cap for civilizations should be nullified!

The final set of minimums (drainage and so on) should all be nullified as they are unnecessary rejects, except for high savagery 3500,low savagery 1000 and mid savagery 3000.

These values are all vague suggestions.

Anyhow, my reasoning is as follows:

Dwarves and goblins settle only in mountains and elves and humans only in non-mountains (although humans and dwarves will take over other civs' settlements).

With decent height variation, dwarves and goblins have good chances of developing regions of control - one mountain chain may be dwarven with destroyed/conquered dark fortresses while one may have destroyed mountain halls next to flourishing goblin fortresses. Because of them not connected, there seems to be little likelihood of one conquering the other (provided you reach that situation in the first place, of course :) ).

Elves are also not a big problem.

First of all, they seem to be most vulnerable to non-mountain caves with ruined settlements showing up in the first 40 years without any other civ around once you have more than 200 non-mountain caves.

Secondly, they only settle in forests and do not conquer other civs' settlements (they only destroy them). They seem to be much more likely to be held by natural boundaries than humans.

The biggest problem seem to be humans as they tend to spread rather quickly and have good chances of conquering complete elven civs (as they take over forest retreats, they are more likely to reach even the remote elven settlements while the elves stay close to their native forests).

Therefore, I figured that increasing the number of forest squares may help encourage the elves (who are usually the first to get whiped out) while weakening the humans. Thus far, it seems that you do not need to worry about human civs; I have yet to see a world with more than 10 civs without a human civ - just like cockroaches, you simply can't get rid of them.

Now, with 100 civs, it seems probable that you get quite some activity in the history (=lots of interesting events) as things get mighty crowded on the map.

And with the elves as buffers for human expansion, you are likely to have a few remote swamps and the like where megabeasts can retreat to while feasting on the comparatively weak elves.

The results have been promising thus far (although you do need some luck to get the right distribution, of course), so I think this information may be helpful for others.

Deathworks

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2008, 04:51:45 pm »

I'm at fifteen. 15 worlds generated without a tropical forest. I've got no bananas.
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2008, 04:59:09 pm »

How big is your world, exactly?  I don't believe I've ever had tropical areas in a world shorter than 257.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2008, 05:35:04 pm »

How big is your world, exactly?  I don't believe I've ever had tropical areas in a world shorter than 257.

Why does that make me want to gen a world 1x257?

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2008, 10:36:33 pm »

The first few have been tiny, but the last 5 or so have been the biggest. 257x257. This is driving me nuts.

Edit: I set the maximum temperature from the default of 75 to 100. I now have tropical regions. Such as tropical coniferous forests, but also grasslands, savannas, plus both moist and dry broad leaf forests. Seams the problem was that the temperature wasn't high enough.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:24:00 pm by the_taken »
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2008, 06:55:40 am »

I Cant Seem to Generate a world smaller than small. I would like a POCKET or smaller world But after 1 1/2 hours and 1349 Rejects I have almost given up hope. Most of these are perfect but when they hit the History Gen stage they Reject.
I am using Version df_28_181_39e

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2008, 09:18:21 am »

If the generator cant place playable civilizations it will reject.  Meaning, make sure there are some regular mountains for your dwarfs to start out in.  (They need low to med. savagry I think but dont qoute me on that)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2008, 11:15:12 am »

Change the number of civs from 5 to 4, I got a playable world in less than 200 rejects, and most of those were "not enough peaks."  (Had one at 10, most were just over 100).

Wait, got a 5 civ world:
seed: 590893980
hist: 2691664988
name: 344567818

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2008, 02:17:07 pm »

Hi!

About the history gen rejects: As far as I can tell, when the "Initializing" is displayed, the following happens:

1. The program checks whether it can place all caves you ask for. If that is not possible, you get a reject right after the "Initializing" is displayed.

2. The program generates all caves. This can take quite a while.

3. The program generates the civs. If they can't be placed, there will be a reject.

So, as far as I know, if there is a delay between the "Initializing" and the reject, you don't have enough civ space, and if there is no delay, it is probably a cave reject.

If I recall correctly, civs need less than 65 savagery, so make sure that is available.

Also, when you check the extended parameters; if you go to the last page of parameters, there will be a lot of minimum parameters. Nullify all except low and middle savagery. This should lower the number of unnecessary rejects.

Deathworks

Emperor Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2008, 10:05:28 pm »

Really great world, all evil mountains its got all the races an intresting history and a site with flux river trees and magma that is evil and kinda cliffy (I used the finder).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perfect 3x5 location found on that map:

Magma Pipe, Underground River, HFS, Flux, Sand, 2-tile Mini Chasm, untamed wilds, some trees.
Extend two tiles to the right and you also can have a cave.

edit: sorry for necrobump
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:07:58 pm by Emperor Bob »
That's probably where the Noble system came from in the first place - a cold hard calculation to save Dwarven civilization from thermonuclear politician brawls.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2008, 02:50:08 am »

how i would be happy if i could play in big areas ...
but until then, have someone found an interesting setting for pocket worlds?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2008, 11:41:44 am »

Pocket worlds are REALLY tiny, and usually have trouble generating.

I didn't check out this world to see what was there, but these seeds (well, the world seed) will give you a low-reject pocket world:

seed: 590893980
hist: 2691664988
name: 344567818
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 42