Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glacier world, how do i do it?  (Read 1046 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Glacier world, how do i do it?
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:33:41 am »

I want to make a world covered in icy glaciers, maybe with some tundra, taiga and mountains to be able to import wood and stuff but mostly ice.

How should i go about this? What are the 'stats' of glacier? I know temp should be low, but how low? And what about rainfall and drainage?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Glacier world, how do i do it?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:44:25 am »

What I did was set the temperature range to a low of -1000 and a high of 0. (the normal range is 25 to 75) It needed some more tampering, but I eventually got a world with several glaciers. It was so cold that when I embarked to a glacial beach, the wagon (and all the food) froze to splinters and disintegrated in days. I only got a few barrels of booze and seeds inside. They might have made it, since we had some sand to farm in, but that was 39a and it was almost the end of spring.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:45:39 am »

Just make sure the temp isn't low enough that it'll hurt your dwarves, or possibly make the temp they take cold damage at lower.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 12:24:45 pm »

Just make sure the temp isn't low enough that it'll hurt your dwarves, or possibly make the temp they take cold damage at lower.

So whats a good temp that makes glaciers, but won't hurt dwarves more than glaciers in older versions?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:35:33 pm »

I think the freezing temp is around 10000 in Dwarven degrees. Go a bit lower than that, but not too much lower. 0° in Farenheit is 9968, so probably not much lower than that, 9960 at the lowest.

I'd use Tweak's Tile Editor to find the temperature of a glacier region, but it doesn't work for me anymore for some reason. Maybe someone else will.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.