Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make adventure mode food more viable  (Read 539 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Make adventure mode food more viable
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:59:38 am »

Meat kinda sucks as trekking provisions. It will wear no matter what. So if you spend too much time checking out all the hovels in town, *poof* theres no way you can ever get provisions there again. Makes it nigh impossible to survive traveling the length of one of those excellent tunnels 'tween dwarf/goblin habitations.

One solution would be to have the shops and barrels contain prepared meals instead (which would make more sense than slabs of meat if you ask me). The problem with that would be what the meals should consist of, since they need more than one ingredient. Maybe there is a simple way to have meals consisting of whatever random meat they would otherwise have.

Another solution is to let the adventurer make his own food, be it cooking his meat into much more durable meals himself, gathering edible plants in the field (har har), fishing, or butchering up the corpses of those dumb cougars. All of which would require some form of fortress mode skills.

So, while we're waiting for the rest of the skills, could we just have one for now? Herbalism, butchery or fishing+fishcleaning would be good.

Fishing could require you to use vermin as bait, giving worms and beetles a more practical use than as deadly projectiles. Course you'd have to clean the fish too, and thats more tricky to 'balance'. Maybe you'd need some sort of equipment to do it.

Herbalism could be used to make your 'natural knowledge' of what a plant is into something you can't tell at a glance until you got some skill. Skill could affect the chance of pulling out the plant such that it is usable.

Butchery could require you to have some sort of bladed weapon equipped, and skill could affect the percentage of usable material you are able to get out of the corpse. Like whether you can get a usable skin or not (well usable once you can tan hides too).

Cooking is just too complex to do in the field. It should be left alone until the rest of the fortress skills are available to adventurers.

Personally, just some way to pick edible plants will do for me. It doesn't even have to be a skill. That or prepared meals instead of meat in towns and in your backpack to start with.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Make adventure mode food more viable
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:11:06 am »

Take a look at Unreal World and how survival is done in that game... I'm not advocating copying it, but it's a good base way to handle this sort of thing.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:56:18 pm »

This is the sort of thing that will happen during the adeventurer skills arc, as explained in the dev notes.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:28:24 pm »

So, while we're waiting for the rest of the skills, could we just have one for now?

Anyway, I agree with your idea that shops should have prepared meals.