Advanced search  

Author Topic: tunnels  (Read 917 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
tunnels
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:41:44 pm »

I really want to settle on (above, I guess) a tunnel, but I can't find any!

Dwarves seem to rarely build roads to begin with, and when they do they usually just build roads that go around the mountains. The few times I've seen roads go into the mountains I embark and find it's just a regular road going OVER the mountain, not under it :(

Has anyone actually found a tunnel yet? Anyone have tips for finding them? Even better got a seed that has one? I've generated over a dozen medium worlds and 3 large ones so far and scoured over them without any luck :(
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: tunnels
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:57:15 pm »

The entrance to the tunnel I found was actually under the Dwarven Fort. Try going down the center passageway and down all the slopes. Look for a down stairway.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:12:14 pm »

Hmmm I was looking on the embark screen, I want to start a fortress on one. I sure hope the problem is not that they just don't show up on the embark screen, will make it alot harder to find them!

Thanks, though - I'll scout around a bit in adventure mode on some of the dozens of worlds I now have and see if I can find one, and see if it's still there if I embark on the square in dwarf mode.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:44 pm »

Well I found one, and managed to follow it from one fortress to another (though I came dangerously close to starving to death). Unfortunately they don't appear on the map even after you explore them in adventure mode, and not every fortress has one, and they twist and turn alot so it's gonna be difficult to embark on one. I also don't think they appear until you dig into them (not sure about this) which means it's even harder because you are not sure if you got it in the embark window or not.

I guess I'll hold off on my tunnel fort for now.

Dwarven Malcolite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kingomofloathing.com/login
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:34:05 am »

I've found Goblin Towers with tunnels, though, and I find that towers are often easier to navigate than fortresses are. And since goblin towers are not dwarven fortresses, fortresses can be started on top of them, which, if fortress mode survived for more than one sleep, might allow one to find where the tunnels disappear off the map at, and thus allow one to place a fort right over them.
he Jade Blizzard of Fury, an Enormous Cave Bone Corkscrew. Beware the Fury.