Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Select the dwarf, not the damn cat!  (Read 2345 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Select the dwarf, not the damn cat!
« on: July 14, 2008, 07:09:24 pm »

For too long I've not been able to select that one idle dwarf because he's hiding in the same tile as a cat, or horse, or mule. As well as that one mother who brings her baby everywhere, you just CAN'T select the damned dwarves because they're in a square with another creature. I'd like to either have it always select the dwarf, and in the case of a mother and a baby the baby isn't considered a dwarf so far as this is concerned, or be able to cycle through the creatures in one square. 
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Select the dwarf, not the damn cat!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:14:34 pm »

My DF experience was completely changed when I learned that if you press v again it flips to the second creature on the tile. Damn I felt stupid.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 07:17:12 pm »

Oh, well them... nevermind this. he he....
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:43:10 pm »

I thought you were going to say:
"[v] selects dwarves before others."
In which case this post would still be valid (including the title). I hate having to dig for dwarves when I'm using [v] to select dwarves 99% of the time.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:44:54 pm by Idiom »

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:45:42 pm »

I hate having to dig for dwarves when I'm using [v] to select dwarves 99% of the time.

We have struck Raw Dwarfite! Praise the miners!

invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:54:29 am »

I hate having to dig for dwarves when I'm using [v] to select dwarves 99% of the time.

We have struck Raw Dwarfite! Praise the miners!

It collapses into a lump of gore!

What? Thats what happens when you strike dwarves.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 06:20:17 am »

Oh, well them... nevermind this. he he....

You still have a point though -- it'd be nice if it always selected dwarves first instead of animals.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33:52 am »

Especially (or at least) when selecting a dwarf (or any other entity) using (c) from the (u)nits screen.  In that case, it knows precisely which creature you were intending to look at; there is no ambiguity involved at all.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:56:38 pm »

It's nice to see that despite my stupidity people like the idea :)

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:16:56 pm »

Especially (or at least) when selecting a dwarf (or any other entity) using (c) from the (u)nits screen.  In that case, it knows precisely which creature you were intending to look at; there is no ambiguity involved at all.

Yes please!

It's a bit of a time-waster having to cycle through every two-humped camel stacked in a tile to figure out which one you wanted to slaughter. Heck, I've given up ranch management and just sorta randomly slaughter animals and hope I don't kill all the males, because it's so annoying trying to figure out which one I'm trying to select.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 02:59:20 pm »

You're better off using the Animals screen from the Fortress menu for that task.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:05:57 pm »

Oh yeah.  THAT would be handy.  Along with zooming to corpses; or at least WHERE they died.  I hate having "Dwarfy McUrist was shot and killed!" Then not being able to zoom to where he died. >.<  I often end up searching the whole map for it, and that's complicated, what with all the z-levels.

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 03:06:56 pm »

You're better off using the Animals screen from the Fortress menu for that task.

Wow... Dwarf Fortress just got much easier! Thanks!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 03:14:58 pm »

Along with zooming to corpses; or at least WHERE they died.  I hate having "Dwarfy McUrist was shot and killed!" Then not being able to zoom to where he died. >.<  I often end up searching the whole map for it, and that's complicated, what with all the z-levels.

If you go into the stocks menu and search the corpses, you can zoom to them that way.  The corpses sublist is on the last page of the stocks.   :)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:36 pm »

I love that this game is so complicated that nobody ever quite figures everything out. There are always new (or... old...) features to discover :)
Pages: [1] 2