Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why can't my dwarves be fat  (Read 1887 times)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't my dwarves be fat
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 03:20:05 am »

From now on, read Superdwarvenly tough as Superdwarvenly overweight

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 06:17:49 am »

I'd say that fat dwarfs would stand up to the cold better than thin dwarfs, what with all that extra insulation. Perhaps it could be a biome dictated behavior that dwarfs, and maybe other critters, would eat more when living in a cold or freezing climate, if there's food available. And on top of that, fat dwarfs could last longer without food.

This'll probably have to wait until after a "nutrition arc", "food diversity arc", or some other such arc. Likely after the "caravan arc," when I expect we can make more trade requests per year, and so get regular food shipments.
I would consider it bloat... although I guess it could have interesting effects on creature populace in worldgen, if they had to realistically self sustain in an area, as opposed to just sort of arbitrarily populating where ever their random number tells them to.  Civilizations with abundant or just reliable food sources would be more likely to survive, and you'd have better targets during military conflicts, raise the food supply and starve your opponents out during sieges.  It would make adventure mode slightly more interesting having to intellegently feed your character... but there are other activities I'd rather see in adventure mode first.
laceholder Signature

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 08:04:59 am »

Fat doesn't help (humans) against cold, since the inner fat hinders blood flow.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 10:59:57 am »

there are two different types of fat: fat under the skin, and fat around organs. The fat under skin is long term storage and isn't bat for health.  The fat around organs is short term storage so it goes on and comes off fast, it is slightly bad for you.
The great game of Warlocks!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 04:53:09 pm »

You're not called fat unless it's visible though, and then you pretty definitely have inner fat.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 11:22:30 pm »

Urist McTubbydwarf cancels dig: injecting insulin.
Urist McTubbydwarf cancels inject: no needles.
Urist McTubbydwarf cancels dig: diabetic coma.
Urist McTubbydwarf has died of high blood sugar (1850).

Pages: 1 [2]