Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cannibal Elves  (Read 5336 times)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cannibal Elves
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 08:20:28 pm »

I've seen a war started for "treatment of animals"
With these elves though, I'm not sure who was doing the mistreating.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 08:59:45 pm »

best subject line ever, btw

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 09:03:47 pm »

Yeah, this one is intentional.  There's not enough info in the raws to detail relationships with the forest spirit, but they believe that they are acting in accordance with nature when they behave in this manner.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 09:04:37 pm »

The Roasted Siege. Awesome.
This is pretty funny. I hope it stays and is explained a bit better.

EDIT: Well, Toady has spoken, and I guess it has been better explained.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 09:14:25 pm »

Yeah, this one is intentional.  There's not enough info in the raws to detail relationships with the forest spirit, but they believe that they are acting in accordance with nature when they behave in this manner.

Very awesome.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:15 am »

That still doesn't explain why the odds are often 15,000 elves to 20 humans. I know that the wooden weapons disadvantage the elves but this just seems impractical.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 04:22:19 am »

I think the reason that elves tend to field such large armies is that they're immortal. They don't die of old age, and keep pumping out babies their whole lives. Unlike goblins, who are also immortal, they don't murder each other so the only real way for their population to drop is in battle.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 04:23:27 am »

But I still can't understand why do they eat SENTIENT creatures, they sell meat but still refuse to buy some meat from you. While they accept that animals kill and eat each other and they too kill and eat other creatures why don't they like that other sentient creatures kill and eat creatures too? O_o
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 04:26:58 am »

cause other races don't do sylvan kosher, obviously!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 04:27:55 am »

But I still can't understand why do they eat SENTIENT creatures, they sell meat but still refuse to buy some meat from you. While they accept that animals kill and eat each other and they too kill and eat other creatures why don't they like that other sentient creatures kill and eat creatures too? O_o

See, they don't kill creatures to eat them. They kill creatures in self defense or for whatever warring reason, and then theres all this meat laying around afterwards. Since meat goes bad so fast in DF, they quickly eat it up so as not to waste it.  :P

Meat they sell is probably from natural deaths of their 'livestock'.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 04:30:05 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 04:33:40 am »

I love this. refer people to the Gaia Sourcebook for Kult for more inspiratior.

http://www.kult-rpg.org/abyss_sourcebooks.html

Feel the madness, its coming.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 05:08:43 am »

I think the reason that elves tend to field such large armies is that they're immortal. They don't die of old age, and keep pumping out babies their whole lives. Unlike goblins, who are also immortal, they don't murder each other so the only real way for their population to drop is in battle.

That doesn't explain the huge loss of life on the elven side. How can twenty humans kill four hundred elves in battle?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:37 am »

The worldgen fight mechanic probably has some sort of "no pile ons" limit.  Even though a thousand elves show up at once, the engine knows they can't all be swinging swords at twenty humans at the same time, so it only pits a certain number against them.  The human's superior abilities (vastly better equipment and no damblock:-1) let them mow down feyfolk as fast as they come.

What I wonder is how the engine determines who's doing what to fight.  I've seen people shot to death, so obviously it factors in things like archers, but I can't tell if attack types are just random or if it actually has each combatant's profession figured out.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:02:34 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 05:50:18 am »

The elves aren't canibals since they aren't eating thier own kind.  It is obvious that they just consider humans and dwarves to be livestock.  They trade berries and things with us to fatten us up before the slaughter.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Nazush Ebsas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 07:17:39 am »

And elfses don't have the ability to die of old age, so they die in combat or.. i doubt if worldgen accounts for jumping into chasms, judging by my limited adventuring experience "frogman falls into deep hole-chasmy thingy" x1911 everytime i come across a hole in the ground, not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3